News:

• April 25, 2024, 02:16:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LiFe batteries vs Lipo  (Read 792 times)

Offline Guy Markham

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
LiFe batteries vs Lipo
« on: November 25, 2015, 06:40:51 PM »
Anyone using these new type batteries? the stats on them is better and are safer than the Lipo batteries. Comments anyone ? ::)
You only have to floss the teeth you want to keep!

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: LiFe batteries vs Lipo
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 08:01:07 PM »
Guy, I have 3 LiFe batteries which I purchased a couple of years ago. I bought them because the deminsions fitted the space I had to work with. They supposedly do not need to be put into a storage charge level but mine all puffed when I left them fully charged for a year!  I'm using one to power my electric starter (works fine). Be aware that you must tell your ESC that you are using LiFe batteries (your charger also needs to know) or else things won't work right! Guess how I know!

I was not concerned about about comparing with LiPo batteries so I can't help you there. I do believe World Champion F2B flier, Igor Berger, used LiFe batteries for a while. He may chime in here.

All far as I know, LiFe batteries have been around for quite a while.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 08:48:03 PM »
LiFe batteries are typically used to power radios, due to their lower voltage compared to LiPo's. LiFe's are normally 3.3 volts per cell, so you can usually get away with a two cell pack to run receivers and servos, and a three cell is an acceptable substitute for a 9.6 V NiCd Tx battery pack. If you are going to use LiFe's to run a motor, check the C rating carefully. Most have a much lower discharge current capability then LiPo's.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 09:25:37 PM »
I use them almost exclusively in my rc sailplanes. They are very easy to charge, unlike NiMh cells.
They also do not self discharge like the NiMh do.
I'm guessing that watts per ounce you don't come close to a LiPo battery, but if you have a plane that either supports the added weight, or you don't care about duration on, then they will be a great choice.
They are much less prone to catching fire. So safety wise, a great choice.
You may not find the variety of sizes in 3S and especially 4S, but you could easily run a pair of 2S packs in series.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here