News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:17:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Learning the Pattern while aging  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Learning the Pattern while aging
« on: March 26, 2017, 04:02:48 PM »
Hello,
I have learned to fly a decent Pattern in 2016 being 69.
I have started flying C/L being 66 and knowing very little about almost everything that had to do with the hobby.

I am looking for older people who had similar experience to exchange the opinions about the best learning methods.
Regards and Happy Flying,
Matt

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
Re: Learning the Pattern while aging
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 05:07:22 PM »
Hello,
I have started flying C/L being 66 and knowing very little about almost everything that had to do with the hobby.

I am looking for older people who had similar experience to exchange the opinions about the best learning methods.
Matt

I will turn 77 June 20th.  My last really fun ventures to the flying field were when I was about your age (66-67).  The main thing that will get in your way will be health.  At our age a number of problems will arise.........hearing (I need a hearing aid), seeing (I just had cataract surgery to keep my drivers license this last October), teeth will need lots of attention, blood pressure problems (on medication for that), sleep apnea (quite a problem),  ........ there's more (don't ask me about my knees) but I don't want to bore you too much.  Most of this stuff slipped up on me between ages 66 and 76.    So, I believe for us...........HEALTH IS THE BIG THING.  Try to stay ahead of the physical problems of old age as they can utterly destroy any activity you may want to pursue and it can be devastating to your hobbies.  Mine are/were Control Model Aircraft, target archery (traditional composite bow) and throwing professional quality boomerangs.    Of course, it goes without saying that you need access to a good flying site and a flying buddy to launch your aircraft.    D>K     H^^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 08:28:18 PM »
As Terrance says, stay in shape.  I let my self go when the knees were bothering me and it hurt too much to pivot in the circle.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 10:30:51 PM »
Hello,

Matt

Hi Matt, I got back into Stunt around 2000, at the age of 52. Now at the age of 69, I fly a far better pattern now then I did back then. Over these past years, I've done fairly well at numerous big contests. I started at the bottom as a beginner and after all of these years I still consider myself as an advanced flyer. The best advice I can give you to answer your question is get a coach. I've basically have had the same one since 2000. Watch the consistent winners fly. Watch their routine, their approach to the handle, their stance and finally the execution of the maneuvers. Most of all practice, practice, practice.
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 09:40:47 AM »
Hello,

Matt

Hi Matt, I got back into Stunt around 2000, at the age of 52. Now at the age of 69, I fly a far better pattern now then I did back then. Over these past years, I've done fairly well at numerous big contests. I started at the bottom as a beginner and after all of these years I still consider myself as an advanced flyer. The best advice I can give you to answer your question is get a coach. I've basically have had the same one since 2000. Watch the consistent winners fly. Watch their routine, their approach to the handle, their stance and finally the execution of the maneuvers. Most of all practice, practice, practice.
Norm

I would add.......just have fun.  The STUNT EVENT or PRECISION ACROBATICS is and always has been a SUBJECTIVE EVENT.............just enjoy flying and have fun.    D>K    H^^

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 09:45:10 AM »

Matt, ...... I would add.......just have fun.  If you are flying in competition, always remember that the STUNT EVENT or PRECISION ACROBATICS as it is called today is subjectively judged.  This event is and always has been a SUBJECTIVE EVENT.............just enjoy flying and have fun.     D>K      H^^

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 07:24:25 PM »
I flew stunt when I was a kid. I got back into in a few years ago. I'm 68 will be 69 soon. Find other retired control line fliers and go out there and practice,practice,practice. I fly with a bunch of "old heads" and we are at the field almost every "flyable" day. In fact today, I was enjoying my newly recovered Thunderbird 1. I'm enjoying my model airplanes more now than ever....PhillySkip

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 10:03:08 AM »
And that is why I fly for fun any more.  Yes, my patterns are barely recognizable, but I'm having fun while I can.  Now waiting for clearance from my doctor and getting some one to go with me. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 09:23:55 AM »

Of course, the real answer here is  (wait for it) ............ just don't get old !       y1   D>K    H^^

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 07:17:23 PM »

There's a lot of truth in what Terrence said.  However there are exceptions.  I'm 75 and have indeed had bouts with some health problems, but the answer is "Don't give up".  When healthy (which actually is most of the time) I actually fly Stunt better now than ever before in my 65 years of flying CL.  Just keep at it and don't let the bad periods get you down.

My friend here in Tucson, Eddy Capitenelli is 83 is still flies 3 or 4 times a week and is still capable of flying decent patterns.  Burt Brokaw is 76 and is the National champion in Navy Carrier in nearly all the slimmer classes.  He's also a very capable stunt flier.

Bob Whitely is same age as me and on good days can fly patterns competitive with anyone who does this stuff.

Keith Trostle is another almost Octogenarian and still flies very competitively.

The moto is "Keep on Keep'n on!"

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 04:03:52 PM »
Dear Friends,
Thank you for your thoughts.
"Flying For Fun" (can we call it FFF?) is a great idea and I was doing it the entire winter flying my two indoor C/L models.
I would strongly recommend this method to improve the pattern and to keep your "control line" senses sharp.

The main problem is of course finding a large indoor space but I was lucky.
For $24 CAD/hour I could fly each Saturday morning in the large and spacious gym.

During hundred or so indoor flights, I have learned a lot about myself.
Specifically, I know now much better how to concentrate and keep this concentration for five minutes.

I learned also how to recognize the signs that my focus, my attention weakens.

Our brain and the rest of the body keep sending these signals but we have to know how to recognize them.

There is much more I have learned and I will share it with anybody who wants to know.

I wish you all the best flying season possible and go now to the basement to prepare for the flight tests of my Outdoor Stunt Fleet.

Best Regards,
Matt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here