Blank
« on: November 29, 2015, 05:14:27 PM »
Blank
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:59:02 PM by Air Master »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Latest news on drones, good or bad, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 05:45:35 PM »
    Well, at one time you DID have to have a license to operate a remote controlled aircraft, from the FCC. I go back far enough that when I started flying R/C sailplanes in 1975, I applied for a non-voice license from the FCC to operate my radio. Cost 25 bucks for five years, if I remember correctly. When the CB radio fad hit, I got a voice license also, same price. I think I have both of them still around here somewhere. After a year or two of trying to deal with the crush of CB radio applications, they did away with both. This put TV and radio stations up in arms, but that's another story.
   The hobby shop sells very small quad copters, about the diameter of a baseball, and they go for about 30 bucks, might even be cheaper now. Somehow a line has to be determines what size/power/range dictates what gets registered. That will be interesting to see.
   I'm in favor of licensing any commercial user such as photographers, real estate firms, anyone that uses these as some sort of tool, which I am all in favor of also. Sport flyers of certain size/range/power output would fall under that also. They are the real problem in my concern. The big fine mentioned in the link is the first I've heard of, but should set the precedent and bench mark. We are talking the possibility of people getting killed, and potential for large property damage and loss if a serious mid-air occurs.
    Time will tell,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 08:51:24 PM »
Rusty,

That report is over a month old.  The Dept of Transport/FAA is proceeding with the registration requirements.  The Industry task force has already released their recommendations to the FAA and they suggested every opertator of a sUAS over 250 grams operated outdoors has to register.  As currently suggested, this means everyone - commercial, recreational, RC & contol line.  In a few more weeks the FAA will release the final wording of the regulations.  Cross your fingers they get it right.
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:33:10 PM »
Rusty,

That report is over a month old.  The Dept of Transport/FAA is proceeding with the registration requirements.  The Industry task force has already released their recommendations to the FAA and they suggested every opertator of a sUAS over 250 grams operated outdoors has to register.  As currently suggested, this means everyone - commercial, recreational, RC & contol line.  In a few more weeks the FAA will release the final wording of the regulations.  Cross your fingers they get it right.

According to AMA CL is a motorized kite and static tethered to the ground and will not fall into this group. We shall see when the model police come to get us all. LOL
AMA 12366

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 10:45:39 AM »
When Helicoptors starting flying at our CL/RC site in Southern California they caused all sorts of problems but everything worked out and now people are use to seeing Helicoptors at the flying sites. I think the big change with the drones is that the Drones have FPV (first person view) and they can be further away from the pilot. I lump helicoptors and Quads in the same general category, but now people expect to have FPV and a video camera attached which is a big change.

The registration will difficult to enforce

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 04:48:52 AM »
I bought a bunch of horse front halves and will bring them to Washington to mate them up.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 07:44:01 AM »
Send some to Muncie. They need them there as well.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 07:49:23 PM »
How about some to the City of Los Angeles - starting tomorrow, it will be illegal to fly indoor free flight after sunset.

http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2015/15-0927_ord_183912_12-02-15.pdf
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 07:22:13 AM »
I live there.
A never ending shortage of back halves.
R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here