News:

• April 25, 2024, 05:46:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kit Survey  (Read 3124 times)

Offline eric rule

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Kit Survey
« on: April 15, 2017, 01:37:02 PM »
My good friend Robin Sizemore has finished the AutoCAD work on Jerry Phelp's  Super 70's legal "Venture". He has offered the plans to me if I wish to make a kit of this model. After watching it fly at the VSC in March of this year and being very impressed with the performance I am wondering if any of you folks would be interested in this one.

If sufficient people express a desire to obtain a kit of the "Venture" I will create the laser cut files. Please let me know what you think.

Regards
Eric Rule

Online fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
Re: Kit Survey
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 01:48:30 PM »
hello Eric!
amazing how many projects RSM works , thanks for doing that for our sport/hobby!
do you have better pictures of the model?
regards from Brazil
Fred

Offline Masaru Hiki

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »
photos

Online fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 02:43:14 PM »
thanks Masaru! looks good indeed!

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »
It's a great flying airplane.

After watching Masaru Hiki fly his (and win), at VSC I'm convinced it's a great stunt plane, and that "Hiki San" is one of the best Stunt Fliers in the world.  I've never witnessed tighter corners or more accurate shapes flown anywhere!  I believe his used an ST46 to very good advantage!
Oh yeah...It was also one of the most magnificent looking airplanes around anywhere!  I have some pictures of it in my camera if I can dig them out, I'll put one on here

Eric,  I'm in for a kit!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 04:50:11 PM »
Anything by Jerry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 09:47:34 AM »
How is the Venture different from Jerry's Patriot?

Offline eric rule

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 06:25:44 PM »
Patriot shown in picture attached.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
Masaru Hiki with his Venture at VSC 2017.

1st place Super Seventies
Randy Cuberly
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:16:44 PM by Randy Cuberly »
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline eric rule

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 07:03:49 PM »
OK guys...From the response it looks like this one is a "No Go".

To Randy and Dennis;

Since you guys are such good friends I will cut a couple of these. As soon as I get them done I will send one to each of you. Have to get my laser machine running again but that should happen by Friday of next week. In the meantime I will set up the cut files and be ready to go. Drop me an e note to let me know if you would prefer a short kit (laser cut parts and landing gear but no sticks, sheet balsa, blocks or hardware).

Regards
Eric Rule

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 01:18:35 AM »
OK guys...From the response it looks like this one is a "No Go".

To Randy and Dennis;

Since you guys are such good friends I will cut a couple of these. As soon as I get them done I will send one to each of you. Have to get my laser machine running again but that should happen by Friday of next week. In the meantime I will set up the cut files and be ready to go. Drop me an e note to let me know if you would prefer a short kit (laser cut parts and landing gear but no sticks, sheet balsa, blocks or hardware).

Regards
Eric Rule

The effort of making the cut files and short kit would truly be appreciated.  I'm very surprised at the lack of interest in this kit.  It's a very beautiful and great flying airplane that is not terribly difficult to build.

Masaru Hiki proved beyond any doubt to any one who saw his fly that it is a winner!

Thanks my friend,

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline eric rule

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 12:09:21 PM »
Hi Randy;

I quite agree with you. The model is an exceptional performer (of course anything designed by Jerry should be).

That being said; however, I am never surprised that what I think may be a great kit and be one that everyone wants to own has little or no interest to others. You would think that after 28 years of doing this I would have some idea of what people want but it is obvious that I simply have no clue. To prove that statement just ask Mike Griffin about what I said when he wanted to kit "Auto the Gyro".(LOL)

All the best my friend.
Eric Rule

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 07:03:08 PM »
Hi Randy;

I quite agree with you. The model is an exceptional performer (of course anything designed by Jerry should be).

That being said; however, I am never surprised that what I think may be a great kit and be one that everyone wants to own has little or no interest to others. You would think that after 28 years of doing this I would have some idea of what people want but it is obvious that I simply have no clue. To prove that statement just ask Mike Griffin about what I said when he wanted to kit "Auto the Gyro".(LOL)

All the best my friend.
Eric Rule

Well, I am paraphrasing here but I think it was something along the lines of "are you crazy?  You might sell two."  Turns out it was the best selling kit I ever did.  You just never know....

Mike

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 07:14:16 PM »
OK, you guys shamed me into it. Eric...put me down for a short kit. I've never built a canopy forward jet style stunter and this looks like a nice one. I have some nice Elliot Scott balsa put away that will be put to a good use. Just need to confirm that it is a C or D tube forward sheeted wing w/ cap strips (like most of your kits). I just don't have the technique to do I-beams and the "Can't teach an old dog new tricks" saying definitely applies here. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 07:55:44 PM »
Pete, ole boy,  I-Beams are mucho easier than you think.  If the old DOC can do it you should be able to also.  Often think of another Staggerwing or a better version of the Spitfire.  Both Sheeks designs. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 06:27:16 PM »
Naw, tried twice, failed twice. No sense repeating thesame experiment hoping for different results. "A man has to know his limtations",  but thanks for the encouraging words.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »
Tthank you Eric. Definitely a short kit helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 09:51:11 PM »
OK, you guys shamed me into it. Eric...put me down for a short kit. I've never built a canopy forward jet style stunter and this looks like a nice one. I have some nice Elliot Scott balsa put away that will be put to a good use. Just need to confirm that it is a C or D tube forward sheeted wing w/ cap strips (like most of your kits). I just don't have the technique to do I-beams and the "Can't teach an old dog new tricks" saying definitely applies here. 8)

It is indeed a C-Tube wing with sheeted leading and trailing edge and cap strips.  Look carefully at the picture of Hiki San holding his and it should be apparent.

However it is not difficult to build a I-beam wing, just different.  It's really just sort of a built in Jig!

Collossus wing shown below.  You can easily see the simple blocks holding the leading and trailing edge of the wing and the fuselage actually provides the center of the jigging effect.  The leading and trailing edge pieces are simply inserted into the fuselage and jig blocks either over a plan or by simple measurement (as in my case).  The ribs are all initially the same and are inserted into the wing and cutoff at the trailing edge then glued.
Actually it's probably the simplest type of construction and provided the leading edge and trailing edge are straight wood so will the wing be!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 10:53:55 PM »
Thanks for confirming that Randy. It looked like it to me also but wanted to confirm. I know, I-Beams are not all that hard, just different. Hats off to those who build them but just don't work for me. Mental block or something. I have plenty of modeling skills, that's just not one of them.  :-\
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 12:04:58 PM »
expand your building experience and try an I-beam plane some time.  Building the fuselage first is what got me started on one.  The hardest part I s getting the rib cutting jig right so all ribs are the same.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here