News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:36:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Keith crashed again, sadly...  (Read 6119 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Keith crashed again, sadly...
« on: January 13, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »
Our friend Keith Varley crashed again...Sunday night, I believe, but maybe Monday. He didn't whack his noggin this time, but broke two bones in his left foot. He's been in the hospital since the fall, which was just up 'round the corner from Varley Manor, on his daily walk. I spoke with Maureen this afternoon and got the details, not all of which I can promise to be 100% correct.

Surgery was delayed due to blood thinners, but they hoped to put pins in the two broken bones yesterday. Alas, Keith didn't get Operating Room priority yesterday, so they hope to get 'er done today. Meanwhile, he's complaining about the pain, the food, the ugly nurses, and the absence of Scotch Whiskey (in no specific order). It'll be awhile before he's back on "Dancing With the Stars".  I was just going to email him to ask about the date for the Western Canada Stunt Champs, too. Send him up some prayers if you're inclined, or at least some good vibrations and dope fumes.

Meanwhile, watch out for that daily walk, it can be dangerous.  D>K Steve   
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Keith crashed again, sadly...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 05:58:48 PM »
Come on Keith! Heal up soon, flying season is just around the corner buddy!
Tom
AMA 34849

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 06:13:34 PM »
If you talk to him tell him he's in our thoughts.  I need more people between me and the bottom of Expert, not less.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 06:41:20 PM »
Stev, I can't understand why Keith would complain about the absence of Scotch Whiskey.

Now an absence of Scotch Whisky is an entirely different matter. S?P n~ H^^

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 07:09:01 PM »
I'll pray that he stops drinking whiskey. How do you crash while walking??

MM

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 11:26:39 PM »
I'll pray that he stops drinking whiskey. How do you crash while walking??

MM

MM-Well, Keith is about 108 years old, so stuff happens like that. What we know is that he fell. What we don't know is whether he broke his foot and then fell, or fell and broke his foot as a result. I suspect the former. The lady next door to me (a petite youngster of abt. 68) broke her foot last year, stepping off a curb. When I was in 4th or 5th grade, a classmate did the same, at about 9-10. So, watch your step, Mister!

Geoff...Sorry, it was my spelling error. They don't teach us that stuff in skool here. Keith gave me my 2nd introduction to Scotch Whisky...no "peety" flavor...not bad. My first was filtered through a dirty ashtray, I'm guessing. A wee dram won't hurt anybody. For me, it's one and done. I think I'll go get a sip now, since it's bedtime.  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 02:22:39 AM »
Thanks for alerting us Steve. Neither Alan or I had heard about this.  Alan is going to call Maureen to See how he is doing.  If I get a chance, I'll try to visit with him soon.  I doubt he will be in a very good mood, but he is generally a pretty happy guy, so we will see.  I'll report back if/when I know more.

To answer your question - July 30 and 31

Chris

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 09:27:27 AM »
Sorry to hear this. Hope Keith is up and around soon.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 12:04:19 PM »
Keith gave me my 2nd introduction to Scotch Whisky...no "peety" flavor...not bad. My first was filtered through a dirty ashtray, I'm guessing. A wee dram won't hurt anybody. For me, it's one and done. I think I'll go get a sip now, since it's bedtime.  H^^ Steve

There's a lot of variation of Scotch flavors, in particular single malts.  If you try a single malt and don't like it, try another.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 12:36:16 PM »
I can't afford single malt.  I make do with malted milk shake.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 01:31:01 PM »
Just got off the phone with Keith.  He's in very good spirits.  Might be the pain killers after the operation.  More than likely it is all the cute young nurses at VGH.  Anyway he says he'll be on crutches for 14 weeks.  He was out taking a walk early Sunday morning and slipped on an icy sloped sidewalk.  He thinks he'll go home tomorrow.  This might make him settle into the workshop and get started on his RSM Thunder Gazer kit.  I've been bugging him for the last month or so to get it started.
Alan

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »
MM-Well, Keith is about 108 years old, so stuff happens like that. What we know is that he fell. What we don't know is whether he broke his foot and then fell, or fell and broke his foot as a result. I suspect the former. The lady next door to me (a petite youngster of abt. 68) broke her foot last year, stepping off a curb. When I was in 4th or 5th grade, a classmate did the same, at about 9-10. So, watch your step, Mister!

Geoff...Sorry, it was my spelling error. They don't teach us that stuff in skool here. Keith gave me my 2nd introduction to Scotch Whisky...no "peety" flavor...not bad. My first was filtered through a dirty ashtray, I'm guessing. A wee dram won't hurt anybody. For me, it's one and done. I think I'll go get a sip now, since it's bedtime.  H^^ Steve

Steve, your story of filtering through a dirty ashtray reminded me of that old Scottish joke with Jock and Hamish. Old Hamish was on his death bed and asked Jock to pour his 100 year old bottle of Scotch over his grave when he dies. So Jock replies (use your best Scottish accent here) " Sure Hamish, but do you mind if I filterrr it through me kidneys firrrst!"  #^ Maybe you can share that with Keith V to cheer him up!

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Barrie Shandel

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 08:59:52 AM »
Walking is more dangerous than a lot of people realize, not a good thing to do - unless of course its walking out to the flying circle to fly your plane, that's the only time its really worth it anyways. Hope Keith recovers real quick so he can do just that.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 09:55:47 AM »
Thanks Steve-o, I let Barry know this am as well. Eyeing my icy walking route suspiciously......

Ken

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »
Thanks for posting this Steve.   H^^  I just saw him last Saturday at the AGM, and have sent him an email early in the week about some stuff and got no response.. which was unusual for Keith.   I hope he gets well soon.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 05:12:17 PM »
I tried to call Keith twice this AM and finally got him on the 2nd try. The gist of it was that it looks like they're tired of his old ass in the hospital and trying to send him home. Problem is, they can't find him a set of crutches, a walker, and a wheelchair, all of which will be required. I guess that there's only one of each in all of western BC?  ;) Steve

Edit: The wife suggested that the crutch/walker/wheelchair shortage might be because of all the snow in the BC ski areas. Uh, maybe?

The other thing that I recalled was that he says he'll be on crutches for 14 weeks...roughly 3.5 months. My experience is that it'll take him at least 6 more months to get done with the limping and being super cautious.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 10:25:44 PM by Steve Helmick »

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 08:10:07 AM »
Keith,

Get Well from the other end of the world!

Ward
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline keith varley

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 06:56:54 PM »
Wow    ITs amazng how many of the stunt people replied , when they heard about my little accident .I think Ill try something really newsworthy , like actually flying well for once , and seeing how many respond to that. Well I an home from the hospital.I really enjoyed all the nurses and student nurses , that are there by the hundreds. Thankfully , CHris Cox has stepped up and agreed to put on our contest at the beginning of August.See Flying Lines for any notices about that. And a very big thank you to the stunties  that replied with concern when they heard about my stupid little accident.Slipped on an icy sidewalk and broke my Tibia ans Fibula. THats about the most common fracture that is happening these days.  Watch out guys . I intend to fly well again some day.  Keith Varley

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 07:05:05 PM »
Well at 82 you need to start being careful.   This from an old man that was extra cautious after the KU vs TCU game at Allen Field house in Lawrance, KS last Saturday.  Still working on the knees, but not as hard as I should.  Now did you really chase those nurses down the hallway?   Just kidding and hope to meet some time we haven't already,  I'm getting old as I don't recognize the clown in the mirror when I look at it.   Now take care of your self.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 07:08:19 PM »
Man, the lengths that some people will go to in order to be catered to by pretty young women is just amazing.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 07:40:38 PM »
Well at 82 you need to start being careful.   This from an old man that was extra cautious after the KU vs TCU game at Allen Field house in Lawrance, KS last Saturday.  Still working on the knees, but not as hard as I should.  Now did you really chase those nurses down the hallway?   Just kidding and hope to meet some time we haven't already,  I'm getting old as I don't recognize the clown in the mirror when I look at it.   Now take care of your self.

Keith's only 82? Who'da guessed? Knowing that now, I reckon he'll be out at the flying field by the end of February, trying to bum a cuppa 10% Wildcat for his plane. Hopefully, one of his buddies will point out that it only burns electrons...

Tried to call you today, Keith...the voicemail girl was kinda brusk with me, so give her a hug and an "atta girl", ok?  LL~ Steve

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 08:33:17 PM »
Glad to here you are home and recovering well Keith.

Hope to see you flying later this season.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 08:50:54 PM »
heck I hope you can at least come out and hang out with us even if you cant fly this year, you can get ready to kick tail next year LOL
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 09:06:23 PM »
Come on out and give me some advice - you know I need all the help I can get. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Neil Rogers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 10:14:41 PM »
Hi Keith,
Sorry to hear about your accident.  Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Neil Rogers
Edmonton, AB

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 02:35:34 PM »
Any more news on Keith?  Hopefully he's doing well.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 09:58:54 PM »
Glad to hear they kicked Keith out of the hospital and sent him home. Hope to see the old coot this season.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 07:23:27 PM »
Called Keith this afternoon and got him on the phone. He seemed pretty chipper, but said he was looking forward to getting out of the hoose (sic) sometime soon. Friday the cast comes off, and if all is looking good, he might get a "walking cast", meaning one that allows him to put weight on it. If not, he might just get another of the same sort of cast, and that means crutches/walker. 

Keith envisions a walking cast as allowing him to get behind the wheel of the dreaded MOPAR and rocket around town, terrorizing the populace. At least, he's got an automatic transmission. When I had my first bout with a walking cast in '68, I was driving a 4 speed and running the clutch with the foot/cast. Had to do it, no choice.

Alan R. had just left when I called, so I'm sure Keith is getting encouraged to get started on his RSM Thunder Geezer as soon as he can hobble out to the g'rage.   ;) Steve

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 08:52:37 PM »
I dropped by Keith's this morning to find him in the living room sitting in a pair of bib overalls.  Looked just like farmer Keith.  I think I did see one of those goofy straw hats sitting on the hearth of the fireplace.  He was in really good spirits and is really looking forward to getting the cast off.
Not sure if he's getting too fired up about starting a new ship.  He still has his Sultan that is still in good shape.
We'll look forward to his return.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here