News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:54:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: KA Series  (Read 24916 times)

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
KA Series
« on: July 28, 2016, 08:03:54 AM »
Was the KA design, KA8, KA10 etc. ever kitted?  Does anyone know if plans are available?

Thank you

Mike

Online fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
Re: KA Series
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 09:08:44 AM »

Offline John McFayden

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:12:05 AM »
Mike, Tom Dixon has plans for the KA-10 and a foam wing core.

link to wing core page http://tomdixon.tripod.com/wings.htm

John McFayden

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 11:09:41 AM »
I personally think this kit needed someone to do a built up wing version.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 11:17:56 AM »
I'm not aware of the KA-8, but the original KA-10 was designed and flown in WC's by a Soviet  flier...Russian I think. His name doesn't pop up in my RAM just now. There are some small 2-views around online. Anyway, Tom Dixon did his interpretation of that plane, but changed the fin/rudder shape, and published it as the KA-10. Model Aviation, I'm pretty sure.

Nice looking plane, and I'd expect it would fly quite well. Tom probably made some kits with foam cores and might have done "Kept Foam" kit with the wing halves pretty much ready to join. It's around 650sq.in., and intended for one of those Soviet 10cc 4-2-4 engines. A nice ST G.51ABC would work nicely, as would a DS .60 or DS .61 lite, or a Stalker .76. Are we sure that RSM doesn't kit this design?  LL~ Steve

PS: What Milton said...
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 11:20:45 AM »
Mike, Tom Dixon has plans for the KA-10 and a foam wing core.

link to wing core page http://tomdixon.tripod.com/wings.htm

John McFayden
tried this site, but no sucess to check his kits, goes to dead links....just me?

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 11:23:38 AM »
I'm not aware of the KA-8, but the original KA-10 was designed and flown in WC's by a Soviet  flier...Russian I think. His name doesn't pop up in my RAM just now. There are some small 2-views around online. Anyway, Tom Dixon did his interpretation of that plane, but changed the fin/rudder shape, and published it as the KA-10. Model Aviation, I'm pretty sure.

Nice looking plane, and I'd expect it would fly quite well. Tom probably made some kits with foam cores and might have done "Kept Foam" kit with the wing halves pretty much ready to join. It's around 650sq.in., and intended for one of those Soviet 10cc 4-2-4 engines. A nice ST G.51ABC would work nicely, as would a DS .60 or DS .61 lite, or a Stalker .76. Are we sure that RSM doesn't kit this design?  LL~ Steve

PS: What Milton said...

Steve I had a conversation with Eric this morning about this and he kits the SPACEHOUND which is a Russian Design but not the same as the KA series.  Unless I am mistaken and I could be, there was a KA6, KA8 and a KA10 and I think they were all designed originally by Anatoly Kolsenikov.  Then Yatsenko did one very similar that he called the CLASSIC in F2B.  I think I have my facts straight.  Thanks for everyones input so far.

Mike

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 11:27:35 AM »
Mike...it's just that everytime I turn around, RSM has more new kits that I'm unaware of. I'm to the point where that's a good thing, however!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 12:05:13 PM »
Mike...it's just that everytime I turn around, RSM has more new kits that I'm unaware of. I'm to the point where that's a good thing, however!  y1 Steve

I know Steve, I can't keep up with the rascal either...

Mike

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 12:36:16 PM »
Mike Model Aviation has the plans and it is laser cut short kit by the guy in Texas, Action Hobbies/Laser Works. I built a Tom Dixon Kit with
Double Star .60 Lite Se weighed 53 oz! flew well. I have the short kit by Action Hobbies.

Offline Mel Gray

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 08:15:16 PM »
Here is plan from Model Aviation.

Mel
Mel Gray
Monument, CO  80132
AMA63434
NAR72053

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 09:07:50 PM »
There was a rumor making the rounds here in the states about 25 years ago re Mr. Kolesnikov.  Remember this was around 1991 or so, the dissolution of the Soviet Union had only occurred a couple years earlier.  Anyway,  as the story goes, the newly formed Russian Mafia was trying to strong arm a cut off of Anatoly's sales of stunt merchandise, he tells the goons to "pack sand",  then gets killed for not playing ball!

The part that made the story odd was that A. Kolesnikov placed 6th in the following C/L World Championships. Not bad for a dead guy...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:24:32 AM by Bill Ervin »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 12:07:19 AM »
Hi Mike,

I had Action Hobbys do the short kit of the Model Aviation KA 10 plans.  I got a Russian set of plans for the KA 10 and they looked pretty close.  Kolesnikov won the WC with the KA 8.  Main difference was LG location, the 8 in the wings and the 10 has fuse mounted.  Both were flown with a Homemade engine of about .54.

I need to build my short kit and just make minor corrections shown by the Russian plans form Mr. Kolsnikov

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 05:30:30 AM »
DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH !

I dunno what this is .

But It may be HERE : http://www.avmodels.ru/models/kord/sirius.html

I find that if you TALK LOUDLY to the Computer , it gets the idea , in a while .
However , at ' the library ' they can on occasion take exception , for some reason .

Note the cunning bellcrank placement .

clicking onem there enlargesem too .

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:58:49 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 05:33:42 AM »
This isnt the one you want :

Id thought that the Stalker or yatsenko site had a ' History ' bit with drawings ( reduced ) of all sorts of things , but I canaye find it .  :-\ Yet ! .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 05:41:08 AM »
O.K. you get to it by THIS : http://discovery-aeromodels.com/en/yuriy-yatsenko-classic-f2b-model.html . BUt its the KA8 , . . . so far . .

Mayaswell havea prettypicture .WHICH IS the " KA10 " . ( If you click on the pictures and drawings there , they GET BIGGER ! )

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 05:48:36 AM »
Just to be REALLY ANNOYING . The Russians mustve found a Computor some where . I thought they Had None at the Y2K hysteria press scaremonger racketeer paranoia apocalipse marvel .

HERE's another Fred on it Here : http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/anatoly-kolsenikov's-ka-10/

MORE Gibberish , youd think theyd SPEAK ENGLISH if they knew how to talk ! .  %^@ http://forum.rcdesign.ru/f95/thread193949.html ( on KA 10 )

From There , dunno if its a real one , If It Is , His Name is on it , and He's nearer Home . May well be  LL~ LL~ one on hipocket , etc plans forumS .

looks decidedly Comunist !

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 06:12:48 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 06:17:35 AM »
Hi Mike,

I had Action Hobbys do the short kit of the Model Aviation KA 10 plans.  I got a Russian set of plans for the KA 10 and they looked pretty close.  Kolesnikov won the WC with the KA 8.  Main difference was LG location, the 8 in the wings and the 10 has fuse mounted.  Both were flown with a Homemade engine of about .54.

I need to build my short kit and just make minor corrections shown by the Russian plans form Mr. Kolsnikov

Bill

Any Chance of scanning the ' Damn Commie ' plan , & posting . please Bill .  S?P H^^

" Ferenc Zámolyi. " on the wing , for Fred , Ive Added .

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:19:24 AM by Matt Spencer »

Online fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 09:03:37 AM »
Just to be REALLY ANNOYING . The Russians mustve found a Computor some where . I thought they Had None at the Y2K hysteria press scaremonger racketeer paranoia apocalipse marvel .

HERE's another Fred on it Here : http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/anatoly-kolsenikov's-ka-10/

MORE Gibberish , youd think theyd SPEAK ENGLISH if they knew how to talk ! .  %^@ http://forum.rcdesign.ru/f95/thread193949.html ( on KA 10 )

From There , dunno if its a real one , If It Is , His Name is on it , and He's nearer Home . May well be  LL~ LL~ one on hipocket , etc plans forumS .

i am pretty sure that the one with BRA3040 is a Brazilian Ka10! BRA is our equivalent to the AMA numbers!
the logo on the tail is from a WW2 P-47 squadron flew by Brazilians in Italy "senta a pua"

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 09:27:21 AM »
I can CAD this baby up for you guys in a day. Maybe two at most.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 11:47:51 AM »
My "Non-Comunist" KA10 built from Tom Dixon plans about 17 years ago.  Looked for plans but can't find them.

Had (has) a PA61 Side exhaust and about 2.5 oz of tail weight to balance it.  Good flier but not on par with top stunters now.  It's actually 620 Sq in wing. and 54 oz.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »
I can CAD this baby up for you guys in a day. Maybe two at most.
Milton I'd like to have a good copy of a full size line drawing for the 5.6 cc airplane above (said by a former professional draftsman).  I've tried to blow up the cad drawing above photographically and you get shredded lines 1/2" wide.  I'd like to do this one and put one of my Soviet era engines in it.  Actually I like the lines enough to put my own aerodynamics on it and use it in Pampa and F2B.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 01:37:01 PM »
Hi Milton I would love that but cannot afford to pay for CAD time right now....thanks so much for offering.  I have never been able to find a complete building plan of the KA8 or KA10.  One that shows the ribs and formers,  a cut file so to speak.

Mike

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 03:32:35 PM »
Milton I'd like to have a good copy of a full size line drawing for the 5.6 cc airplane above (said by a former professional draftsman).  I've tried to blow up the cad drawing above photographically and you get shredded lines 1/2" wide.  I'd like to do this one and put one of my Soviet era engines in it.  Actually I like the lines enough to put my own aerodynamics on it and use it in Pampa and F2B.

Dave

When you blow them up, football field size lines is exactly what you get! That is why is almost always has to be done by a stunt flyer so that person knows what the heck they are looking at.

I like the lines also but, I would want to put my aerodynamics AND force arrangements on it too.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 03:45:27 PM »
O.K. you get to it by THIS : http://discovery-aeromodels.com/en/yuriy-yatsenko-classic-f2b-model.html . BUt its the KA8 , . . . so far . .

Mayaswell havea prettypicture .WHICH IS the " KA10 " . ( If you click on the pictures and drawings there , they GET BIGGER ! )

The plane in the picture  says it is  KA-17 ??  how do you know it is a 10?  or an 8  or  a  17 ?

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 01:03:41 AM »
Are You suggesting We Cant Trust the Soviets !  :##

The Link I got you scroll down , adjcent that picture its captioned KA 10 .

Maybe the dude there'd put someone onto the original drawing provider ??

The Russian Site , if Deciperable must have a wealth of info ?? on their momentous models , perhaps .

Not Sure what ' Sign In ' in russian looks like . :-[
Bill might ' let on ' his contacts behind the Iron Curtain  :## if hes guranteened imunity from persicution .  ;) S?P LL~ %^@
The story of the guy getting a few auto union grand prix cars, in pieces , out of their makes ' intresting ; reading ,
Im sure a few model aero plans would be just a matter of communication . Its Not Su 37 Vs YF35 really , The Olde Hail Fellow , Hearty Well Met , was wot the common folk once used . Till the were told No Fraternising
at Christmass in the Trenches ( WW1 ) or theyed Be Shot . then , a stiff Brandy , and ' Charge Those Machineguns . ( We cant have the cost off lead falling , can we ) . Er , Right . Im sure thyyre not all taitaianium toothed
man eating fashists preserved in neat vodka . The Blokes are probly o.k. too .  :) ;D:-[

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 01:47:31 PM »
From the research I have been doing, I don't think there has been much difference in the progressing models from a KA5 through the KA10.  About all I can find is that some had a wing mounted gear and some had a fuselage mounted gear and the shape of the vertical fin has changed back and forth but not much else of any consequence has changed.  I am seriously flirting with the idea of building a prototype of one.  Is anyone else interested in this model? 

Mike

Online Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 02:33:03 PM »
Mike, you might want to touch base with Pat Johnston; I believe he has drawings of one of the KA planes, possibly the
KA-5.  Might have others as well?
ama 72090

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2016, 03:31:40 PM »
Mike, you might want to touch base with Pat Johnston; I believe he has drawings of one of the KA planes, possibly the
KA-5.  Might have others as well?

Thank you Bill, I will do that.

Mike

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2016, 03:32:40 PM »
Are You suggesting We Cant Trust the Soviets !  :##

The Link I got you scroll down , adjcent that picture its captioned KA 10 .

Maybe the dude there'd put someone onto the original drawing provider ??

The Russian Site , if Deciperable must have a wealth of info ?? on their momentous models , perhaps .

Not Sure what ' Sign In ' in russian looks like . :-[
Bill might ' let on ' his contacts behind the Iron Curtain  :## if hes guranteened imunity from persicution .  ;) S?P LL~ %^@
The story of the guy getting a few auto union grand prix cars, in pieces , out of their makes ' intresting ; reading ,
Im sure a few model aero plans would be just a matter of communication . Its Not Su 37 Vs YF35 really , The Olde Hail Fellow , Hearty Well Met , was wot the common folk once used . Till the were told No Fraternising
at Christmass in the Trenches ( WW1 ) or theyed Be Shot . then , a stiff Brandy , and ' Charge Those Machineguns . ( We cant have the cost off lead falling , can we ) . Er , Right . Im sure thyyre not all taitaianium toothed
man eating fashists preserved in neat vodka . The Blokes are probly o.k. too .  :) ;D:-[

On the right side of the wing it says   " KA-!7"

Randy

Offline Ferenc Zámolyi

• New Pilot
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2016, 02:48:11 PM »
Hi Matt, Fred & other Stunt Guys
The KA-10 pictured in Reply #16 was built by me for my son, some 8/9 years ago, from plans bought from Tom Dixon. It has built-up wing, weights 1,600g (about 56 ˝ oz) and is powered by a ST 51. It’s currently in Australia, where my son and family are living.
I’m a Hungarian-born Brazilian, currently living near Săo Paulo City. Although not usually interested in Russian designs, I liked the looks of this one, particularly the in-line lay-out and decided to give it a try. The red and white paint scheme is one I like and have used on many of my planes and you may rest assured that it doesn’t look communist by intent! As Fred said, the logo on the tail was used by the Brazilian Fighter Squadron in Italy in WW II, on their P47 Thunderbolts.
By the way, it’s a really good flier!
Regards
Ferenc

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 03:48:14 PM »
I think this is the nicest, somewhat happier colours after cccp collapsed.
I have seen this model somewhere lately but I can't get the name or location of current owner in my head. Propably in Kiev.
Yuriy Y. told that 2 models like this was built, and funny thing is, that all components (take-apart model) are interchangeable.

L

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 04:19:29 PM »
I have seen this model somewhere lately but I can't get the name or location of current owner in my head. Propably in Kiev.
Yuriy Y. told that 2 models like this was built, and funny thing is, that all components (take-apart model) are interchangeable.

L

I personally talked to Anatoly in Cze in 1992 about the blue plane. I asked him why "blue".  He said:

My friend Paul, those are the colors of FREEDOM.

I totally understood.

The Russian plans don't look lije either plane he took to the WC's. The nose length on the planes he used were longer than those plans show. Tom's plans look closer to what he used! That's a surprise to me.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 06:51:20 PM »

L

The 60 sized ones  fly  pretty well , I have flown several of them, They are also easier to fly and more stable in changing winds and bad weather than the Sharks, The inside/outside turns are  even and stay the same when they get loaded up in high winds

Randy

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 08:27:32 PM »
I was in Kiev in 1988 at the WCh when Kolesnikov won the title flying the KA-17.  Paul was flying Bad News, and Jim Casale flew Columbia. 
I had overheard Anatoly tell someone that the KA-17 had its tail lengthened by 3/4" compared to the previous version (not sure what that version was labeled). I would not be surprised to know that he built 17 (or probably more like 20 or 25) versions of the .54-sized KA series.  The plans referenced by others here (not the MA version) are of much, much older versions, dating to the late 70's and early 80's, powered by 5.6 cc - 7.5 cc engines.  All his late engines were custom made for him, of very high quality and very light (hence the long nose), but otherwise of fairly conventional loop scavenged design.
I'm not aware of any plans of his .54-sized planes published anywhere, so unless someone has plans autographed by Anatoly himself, I would seriously question their authenticity. 
Some of the underlying principles behind his designs are pretty well known and understood by now (but not universally accepted).  The so-called inline design places engine thrust, wing, and stabilizer on the same plane; the result is equal insides and outsides; I have built inline planes before and can attest that it largely works.
The tall bubble canopy, besides adding a realistic look of an aerobatic airplane (rather than an unlimited Reno racer), actually serves the purpose of further equalizing the inside/outside feel by offsetting the drag below thrustline generated by the landing gear.
The overall weight (around 55-56 oz) and the resulting wing loading (11 oz/ft^2) were kept very light by today's standards - loop scavenged engines are not exactly known for brute power (more like mild, stunt-friendly power).  I don't even think they flew on full length lines back then...
So, the rest of the parameters and the overall layout were wrapped around these concepts and then honed to perfection through multiple iterations with small changes in between.  To recreate the feel of a genuine KA-17 (or KA-8, KA-10, etc), one would have to recreate all of these aspects, not just the bubble canopy look with a tall rudder.  Combine that with 60-80 flights per week, and you will be flying at the 1988 WCh level. 

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 08:52:25 PM »
I started a build today on the KA10 and will be powering it with a ST.51.  If this is a successful flyer, I plan on building the smaller KA5 and putting a ST.46 on it.  I have been talking with Eric Rule about the possibility of a lazer cut kit down the road.

Mike

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2016, 05:29:39 AM »
I was in Kiev in 1988 at the WCh when Kolesnikov won the title flying the KA-17.  Paul was flying Bad News, and Jim Casale flew Columbia. 

Your statement above is incorrect. Anatoly won in 1986 in Pecs Hungary, and was second in Kiev and France.  Zang  Dong won in 88 and 90.

None the less, it was a very nice plane and I enjoyed watching him fly it. The nose was long, so you knew the motor was lite.

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2016, 06:37:49 AM »
One thing I've heard about his planes which of course are not on the plans was he had the flap wire "springy" so that in high winds the flaps would flatten a bit and keep the tight corner.
Or maybe it was to flatten the flaps a bit when doing squares but not flatten them when doing rounds, similar effect to using Igor's logarithmic controls. (I guess)
Could be both reasons I suppose................
Bandolero

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2016, 06:50:00 AM »
One thing I've heard about his planes which of course are not on the plans was he had the flap wire "springy" so that in high winds the flaps would flatten a bit and keep the tight corner.
Or maybe it was to flatten the flaps a bit when doing squares but not flatten them when doing rounds, similar effect to using Igor's logarithmic controls. (I guess)

:-\ :-\ :-\

Two Planes I inadvertantly put springy = 3 / 32 Music wire - in the Flap Mechanisim were V Good in the Wind . Though the pushrod / elevator connection AND Flap Pushrod connection were Not Flexable At All , just the horn wire .
Spit Had 6 in odd to the bend into the flap , O.A . , But between flaps was 3 in . , Bushed , so all located well - V Stiff New Guinea Balsa 1/4 Sht. Flaps . Bend em 3/4 up Max , or 3/4 ea/ one up one down . 5/8 really. not pussyfooting .
Did Nice rounds and squares . One of those ' no bother ' aeroplanes , G -51 snarling away .

Note : the KA's C.G. is well fwd. , in the top 3 view . Aerodynamic Center effectivly too , which means other things aerodynamically also . inc. flap stiffness wouldnd have to be the highest as when drawing every ounce of lift out of it
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:08:30 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2016, 07:30:54 AM »
I have seen two KA-10s.  I saw one at a fun-fly some years ago.  I do not know who built it.  From what I could see, it flew very well with nice corners.

The other KA-10 was Tom Dixon's.  I saw this one years ago when I returned to the hobby.  On this model I noticed that the leadouts exited below the wing chord line.  I asked Tom about this and he said it was due to the all in-line design.  He said the thrust line, wing chord, and stab are all on the same plane.  With the engine mounted inverted, its CG, along with the landing gear, would lower the model's vertical CG and the leadouts had to exit lower as well.

On some of the plans shown in this thread the design shows all in-line, others are not.  Until I saw Tom's KA-10, with the in-line design, I never paid much attention to vertical CG.  I suppose it could lead to problems if the model's vertical CG is too far above or below the lead out exit position.   

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2016, 07:40:18 AM »

Russell, wasn't that the Berringer plane(s) you are thinking of?

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2016, 08:20:38 AM »
Er, dunno. Could be I guess. I was sure it was the KA10. Oh well, I'll ask the guy that told me again.  HB~>
Bandolero

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2016, 08:31:48 AM »
Er, dunno. Could be I guess. I was sure it was the KA10. Oh well, I'll ask the guy that told me again.  HB~>

Ve Haff Vays of making you Tock . ! ~^ ;D

p.s. whereinaus. is Zámolyi Jnr .

Picture from the Train Window looking at Stanwell Park , down the bottom , where they land on the beach this side of the stream ! just to the Right of Center , on the second highest hll , I think is a Plauque on Hargraves ,
who did aeronautical experiments with kites there , in the late 1800s . They jump of in Hang Gliders these days .

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:09:57 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2016, 11:15:56 AM »

Anatoly won in 1986 in Pecs Hungary, and was second in Kiev and France.  Zang  Dong won in 88 and 90.

None the less, it was a very nice plane and I enjoyed watching him fly it. The nose was long, so you knew the motor was lite.

Paul, you are correct; my bad.  I just realized this was almost 30 yrs ago.
Zang Dong and the rest of the Chinese team flew in white gloves; it was the talk of the town.  Not sure if that helped with scores...

As to the plane itself; I guess the point I was trying to make is that simply reproducing the outer dimensions and the airfoil (assuming one can obtain authentic plans) without understanding and reproducing a gazillion of other mode subtle aspects (powerplant, choice of wood, glues, covering, the amount of structure flex, etc) will not recreate a true KA-17, -10, -8, etc.   

Offline Ferenc Zámolyi

• New Pilot
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2016, 03:13:43 PM »
Hello, Matt S.
Answering your ciphered query, the youngster lives in Perth, WA. He is a mechanical engineer in the oil industry.
Regards
Ferenc

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2016, 05:28:58 AM »
Thanks Ferenc , at least some of us understand English .  ;D VD~

Can see the A 17 But is it a K Randy ?? Saidit beside the  pic so presume a 10 . Dont take my word for it , just presumed it was . Mayve seen a 16 somewhere ? years back .

will put this here . obviously a Grey Existance under Comunism ! . Didnt Have Google Earth in 1980 either .

1982  Looks to be a 82 one @ 6;00 odd ,

a few more oddball summercamp ? films in you click on Rus38 & slide the top row left .

Would Scrub the rest of these two posts , went nowjhere , posted as I found it so as not to loose it . SOMEBODY might want it for whats there , which AINT the KAs . Im Thinking in that film there IS . Maybe someonell let us know .

======================================================================================================================================================================

wont work from direct link .
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:25:21 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:02:42 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2016, 07:55:50 AM »
I flew at the WC in both 1986 and 1988 and looked at the KA-17 used in 1986 and the KA -10 that Anatoliy used in 1988.  I got a small three view plan for the KA -10 from Anatoliy in 1988 and will see if I can find it. This is the model refered to as the "Mirage".  I saw a video from one of the Japanese flyers at the 1992 WC showing him assembling the KA -10 he used which was the blue and white version. It is the same drawing that appeared in the Finnish model magazine Lennokki in January of 1994.  I did find the dimensions I took off the drawing so here they are.

Overall length  1150mm
Inboard wing span 740mm
Outboard wing span 720mm
Spinner dia. 51mm  Spinner length 60mm
Distance from back of spinner to LE  280mm
Wing root chord 250mm
Wing tip chord  220mm
Flap root chord 75mm
Flap tip chord 28mm
Hinge line to hinge line 415mm
Stab root chord 80mm
Stab tip chord 40mm
Elev. root chord 80mm
Elev. tip chord 55mm
Stab span 620mm
Height from fuselage bottom to top of vertical fin 240mm
Fuselage mounted gear with distance between wheels 250mm
Prop diameter 312mm
Engine uses 2.5 - 3 degrees of out thrust
Model weight 1680g
Wing area 41.8dm
Stab area 8dm
Motor 10cc
Alan

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2016, 11:00:55 AM »
I went out in the shop this morning and found the copy of the Lennokki magazine I mentioned and made a PDF of the plan.  It is just like the one I have somewhere but also has a little note on it to the magazine from Anatoliy and his signature.  It looks a bit different from the Mike Garmon inked plan that I believe was Tom Dixon's version.  I noticed some of the dimensions were different also.
Alan

Offline Alexey Gorbunov

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2016, 02:40:46 AM »
DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH !

I dunno what this is .

It`s not a Kolesnikov plane. This model was designed by V. Zamolodchikov from St. Petersburg, Russia. Published in the Russian magazine "Modelling - Sports and Hobby". The plane designed for heavy BB engine like MDS 6.5 or similar.

Some more:

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here