News:

• April 25, 2024, 09:01:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Info on the Detroiter  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Steven Kientz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Info on the Detroiter
« on: July 23, 2016, 02:33:56 PM »
I have a friend who flies in a Rc club nearby. He has talked in the past about the Detroiter stunt plane he had years ago. Is this the same Detroit Stunter (Pampa plan PPN0047) or is it a Strathmoor? My research shows at least 5 different airframes associated with the name Detroiter. I'm figuring he built his from a kit, although he has never said as much. I would like to know if  the Pampa plans are this airframe.
Thanks in advance
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Info on the Detroiter
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 05:14:36 PM »
    The Detroiter and the Strathmoor are one and the same, as far as I can remember sitting here. It's basically one of the founding I-Beam wing designs and the model was designed by Rollie McDonald, Bob McDonald's Dad and he was a member of the Strathmoor Model Airplane Club in Detroit at that time. He and another gentleman whose name escapes me right now came up with the I-Beam wing as a way of quickly building light wing structures quickly and it caught on fast. I beam wings were often referred to as "detroiter" wings. Mr. McDonald's model was published in Model Airplane News as the Detroiter, I think, but was really called "The Strathmoor." Art Pawsloski (probably spelled wrong) was the name I was trying to remember, and his model was called The Atom, I believe. It was this that started the trend of having really nice looking models with shiny rubbed out paint jobs, not an east thing too do on a I-beamer. I think this history was all written up in Stunt News at one time, and some one else may correct me on some things, but that's what comes to mind right now. Contacting Bob McDonald will get youthe straight scoop, and he should be listed in the PAMPA listings.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 08:25:16 PM »
Might be spelt pawloski .

Picthure of a ' Detroiter ' style/ type wing . The ' whalebone ' ribs over the 1/4 seet spar typify ' detroiter ' winged designs . so We're told .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 08:27:41 PM »

Flogged from PAMPA . "1958 Art Pawloski Walker Cup, Atom."

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 10:40:45 PM »
And, from your reasearch department :

Rex Abbott of Sequim, Wash.,his Detroit Stunter, a Rolland McDonald design,

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 05:24:24 AM »
Early versions of Mc Donald's Detroiter were smaller. This copy of Don Ogrin's 1956-57 called Saturn.
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here