News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:19:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I need help and advice  (Read 1785 times)

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I need help and advice
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:44:03 PM »
Do any of you have drawings for a take apart CL model?  I need ideas as I plan ahead for next year.  I want to build a profile and a scale Carrier plane that will break down and make it easier to ship to contests like the Brodak Fly-In. The wing would be built in two sections, but I have no idea of how to bring them together inside the fuse.  HELP!
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
Re: I need help and advice
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:33:27 PM »
Hi Joe, I have no technical knowledge to help with this project but I did have an idea, Gestalt if you will! How about having a design with two wings: one for carrier and one for Profile stunt? one a Clark Y type of airfoil or skinny semi symmetrical and one fatter for Profile stunt? You'd be in two events with the same fuse and tail! Just a hair brained thought!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 12:14:41 PM »
Get with Pete Mazur or Bill Calkins.   Maybe even Bill B. down Dallas way.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 12:44:01 PM »
RSM has take apart kits that may be of assistance,, I thinkthat Mike Griffith on here did some take apart profiles too
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 01:48:56 PM »
Hi Joe, I have no technical knowledge to help with this project but I did have an idea, Gestalt if you will! How about having a design with two wings: one for carrier and one for Profile stunt? one a Clark Y type of airfoil or skinny semi symmetrical and one fatter for Profile stunt? You'd be in two events with the same fuse and tail! Just a hair brained thought!

Phil Spillman
Phil, check out one of the early CLW mags.  I wrote an article that combined an OTS plane to a NW Sport Racer and back in no time at all. What I need now is a simple drawing of the connector for the two part wing.
Joe

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 03:12:11 PM »
Joe I sent you a PM

Mike

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 05:50:25 PM »
Joe I sent you a PM

Mike
Mike, got it. Thanks! One coming your way as a follow-up
Joe

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 07:39:06 AM »
Joe, just sent you another PM

Mike

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 08:06:57 AM »
There was this video of a modeler that had a take apart model where the wing was attached by one screw.

Anyone remember where this was Posted.

That guy had it nailed!

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 09:25:36 AM »
 :)  Hi Joe!  Just curious, do you have any experience with building r/c airplanes?  If so, may I recommend those basic building principles for attaching the wing & fuselage can be applied to control line.  For example, assuming you build a profile model, when you build the wing, firmly mount the bellcrank and lead out wires and a suitable length stub  (extending about 6 inches past the wing trailing edge or as be fitting) for the elevator pushrod.  Build your fuselage sufficiently snug so that the wing can slide into the fuselage fairly snug and secure.  At various times, I've successfully used either 10-32 and 8-32 bolts, as needed, from the bottom of the fuselage (through non threaded hardwood blocks), through the wing (non threaded hardwood blocks) and into the upper fuselage (embedded, threaded hardwood blocks).  To add a bit more stability, you could add (as I did) a suitably sized triangle shaped balsa fillet to the outboard wing that would act as a stop to prevent the wing from sliding completely through the fuselage and another fillet attached to the fuselage that will minimize the up and down movement of the wing when slid and bolted into position.  With the wing in place, I generally use an overlapping length of 4-40 pushrod or music wire (depending on how much flexing I expect and or bracing I want to build into the project) and two suitable sized Dubro wheel collars to join and lock the stub to the elevator horn.  I hope my description make sense because it is essentially what I did when I built my great big Pat King Ringmaster Triplane.  It is a joy to fly and easy to disassemble for storage and transport.  I've also used this same basic technique to build some of my S-1 size Ringmasters with consistent success.

If you're building a full body fuselage, the wing can be built, essentially, just like any r/c model but you will have to decide where to build an access hatch in the fuselage so that the elevator pushrod and stub connection can be accessed when attaching or removing the wing.  I did this when I built my replica of Dave Gesieke's Novi III a few years ago and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it to date.  Given my pathetic skills, I must say it flies great!!  Hope this helps!   :)

Jim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here