News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:23:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to balance a spinner?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
How to balance a spinner?
« on: May 28, 2017, 05:41:59 AM »

This is what I came up with; a concentric sliding counterweight to keep the mandrel on the balancer. The spinner rotates freely and the heavy side falls easily to the bottom. What material is removed? Do I add weight instead? Is there an easier way?

Ara

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
Re: How to balance a spinner?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 05:56:27 AM »
With rather light and small objects, like your spinner, a better way would be to raise the other support so that in the other end the shaft goes through the hole under the bearing discs.
That is, the end that is closer to the spinner in your picture. Then you have to turn the shaft 180 degrees.
That way you will have less friction due to smaller mass of the shaft. And a smaller risk of tool imbalance.
Regarding the balancing work, first balance just the backplate by drilling from heavy side, then mount the dome and balance by scraping material from inside. Done that way, it doesn't matter which way it is assembled later on. L

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 05:21:07 PM »
Being that close to the shaft, how important is it to balance the spinner?

I only use Tru Turn.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 06:43:09 AM »

Lauri
           Thanks for the reply. It was a huge help. I got the balancer without instructions at an RC auction and had no knowledge of it's other features.

Charles
           I was getting a vibration on an OS FP with the spinner shown and a balanced prop. Balanced the spinner according to Lauri's instructions and the vibration went away.

Ara

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 07:19:41 AM »

Lauri
           Thanks for the reply. It was a huge help. I got the balancer without instructions at an RC auction and had no knowledge of it's other features.

Charles
           I was getting a vibration on an OS FP with the spinner shown and a balanced prop. Balanced the spinner according to Lauri's instructions and the vibration went away.

Ara

I do balance my props. I'll play around and see what tool I can make to balance spinners.

Possibly Lee Machine could put together a tool for balancing spinners?

Looks like something that could be usefull.

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here