News:

• April 25, 2024, 09:08:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hot Rod Lincoln?  (Read 4895 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Hot Rod Lincoln?
« on: February 04, 2016, 03:03:34 PM »
This guy should do a stand-up comedy gig for the convention of the SAE...or maybe VSC Banquet. Somebody please hit him on the head with a physics book! Tim? Brett? Randy?   LL~ LL~ LL~  Steve

PS: I seemed to notice some rough language in there, so dim your hearing aid if it might offend you.  ;)
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hot Rod Lincoln?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »
OMG Steve!  That was one of the funniest things I've watched in a long time!  Thank you so much. LL~ LL~
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 07:48:37 PM »
Note that the guy posted a couple other vids that are not a comedy routine, and are actually pretty cool, if you're into Rat Rods and old technology.   y1 Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:02:14 PM »
I don't know what this guy is smoking, but I want some of it.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 08:04:39 PM »
I don't know what this guy is smoking, but I want some of it.

Move to Colorado.  They'll fix you right up.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:27:42 PM »
" i should be able to hit about 27,000 rpm on 77 octane ethonol...."
Wow. This is pure genius

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 08:35:07 PM »

Is this guy's name Charles?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 08:55:25 PM »
He actually said, John Garlets and Don Force that should be a clue.

W.W.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 10:05:03 PM »
I think I worked with that guy years ago.  I'm sure he was 120 years old, had to have been to do everything he said.  Same line of BS too!
Mike

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 10:14:57 PM »
This guy should do a stand-up comedy gig for the convention of the SAE...or maybe VSC Banquet. Somebody please hit him on the head with a physics book! Tim? Brett? Randy?   

This isn't serious. I refuse to believe any human being could seriously say these sentences with a straight face. Still, he does remind me of a few guys I have known over the years, who definitely *were* serious, presumably from the infamous Ozark foothills genetic pool in which they were born.

Brett

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 11:19:53 PM »
I think the guy is a hot rod comic genius.  Very funny stuff. LL~
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline john ohnimus

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 04:22:55 AM »
Had to watch that one twice just to make sure I was hearing what I was hearing!!!
Hard Tellin'....  Not Knowin'

AMA 413710

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 04:43:51 AM »
 The nice clean script that's sitting on
the lathe bed might be a give away.

It doesn't matter what technological
pursuit people are involved with, there's
always that one person who's totally full of
@#$%^&!
  Judging by this guys tools and parts, I think
he's the real deal but he's met too many
know-it-alls.

Funny!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:57:33 AM by goozgog »
Keith Morgan

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 07:26:35 AM »
Typical Chebby fanboy.......... LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 07:52:18 AM »
I got an Anderson Spitfire up to 2.99 horse power using the same technology. It now swings an APC 14-6 at the exact same RPM he was talking about at 27,000. I guess great minds huh.
Jim Kraft

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 09:03:03 AM »
Anybody should understand when you run 77 octane heathenol yer gonna make ungodly power!!!!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 09:22:07 AM »
Randy, you almost made me spit coffee all over my computer.
Jim Kraft

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 10:12:34 AM »
Anybody should understand when you run 77 octane heathenol yer gonna make ungodly power!!!!

Right, if you don't know that, you're stupid. John Garlist told me that.

I can't wait to see the engine, stroked 2", turn those pistons around 450 times per second. Don't stand too close!  One also wonders how much boost pressure it takes to shove ~1000 hp through a sidevalve setup. A Fox 35 would still win the NATs every year if the judges weren't biased, er, oops, getting my idioms mixed up...

That's why I don't think this is actually serious - it has to be a parody. Although there was another "bigger flywheel for more torque" sighting, so maybe not.

Brett

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:51:44 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 12:03:50 PM »
This Guy is just pulling everybody's leg and it's about the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

I had a friend up in New England that was a wizard with motorcycle engines and he sometimes did similar "clown" routines.  His name was Al Doane.

For a minute I thought I was watching him all over again.

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 03:39:22 PM »
This Guy is just pulling everybody's leg and it's about the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

One hopes so. But on further consideration, as you are aware, we have had many airplane discussions (mostly, again, about engines but not always) that were of a similar level of engineering validity. And the people involved were sincere about it. There's a few real lu-lus on SSW.

Brett

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
Move to Colorado.  They'll fix you right up.

OR Washington State,,
just sayin
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 03:48:11 PM »
  Right, if you don't know that, you're stupid. John Garlist told me that.

I can't wait to see the engine, stroked 2", turn those pistons around 450 times per second. Don't stand too close!  One also wonders how much boost pressure it takes to shove ~1000 hp through a sidevalve setup. A Fox 35 would still win the NATs every year if the judges weren't biased, er, oops, getting my idioms mixed up...

That's why I don't think this is actually serious - it has to be a parody. Although there was another "bigger flywheel for more torque" sighting, so maybe not.

Brett

Uh, as I see it he is completely eliminating the valve train, no facility or accommodations in the block for valves to go with the flat-heads,, one wonders if that's maybe the true secret he is keeping guarded,, I mean heck, we all know that the rpm limit on most rocker arm motors is the valve float component,, with no valves to float( or lifters) the rpm limit would be sky high,,

of course there is the little issue with getting fuel and air into the silly thing,, but hey thats small potatoes
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 04:01:50 PM »
Those big #297 carbs on the Hossenpheffer intake manifold can surely git 'er done, with two 6-71 turbo superchargers blowing on 'em. Don't need no steenking valves and rockers when you got all that chit goin' on! 

Seriously, watch the other two videos and you'll understand that this one is purely for comedy.  y1 Steve

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 07:17:27 PM »
Uh, as I see it he is completely eliminating the valve train, no facility or accommodations in the block for valves to go with the flat-heads,, one wonders if that's maybe the true secret he is keeping guarded,, I mean heck, we all know that the rpm limit on most rocker arm motors is the valve float component,, with no valves to float( or lifters) the rpm limit would be sky high,,

of course there is the little issue with getting fuel and air into the silly thing,, but hey thats small potatoes

I'm no rocket scientician, but it seems the 77 octane eethanohl actually seeps through the fentonite spacer. That's pretty much the only way to achieve 27,000 rpm

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 07:46:59 PM »

Heck, the valves just block the flow, so no valves = good breathing. But I think at 27000 rpm, you might find the connecting rod and piston to be a speed-limitng factor as well.

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 07:58:52 PM »
Reminds me of the article in an old April AAM (?) about the virtues of the "zero stroke engine". Sort of like an electric engine...  ;)  ;) ;) Steve

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 08:48:13 PM »
Reminds me of the article in an old April AAM (?) about the virtues of the "zero stroke engine". Sort of like an electric engine...  ;)  ;) ;) Steve

UUUUhhhhhhhhh...Duhnno about that, I have a couple of For a 15's that turn higher than that and the rods and pistons survive a long time!!!!

They don't weigh much!!  They're made from unobtanium!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline REX1945

• AMA 19945
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 07:34:26 PM »

I had a friend up in New England that was a wizard with motorcycle engines and he sometimes did similar "clown" routines.  His name was Al Doane.

For a minute I thought I was watching him all over again.

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly

He was wearing a red hat; maybe he's related to Donald...

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 08:16:14 PM »
I could only take about half of it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 08:27:50 PM »
UUUUhhhhhhhhh...Duhnno about that, I have a couple of For a 15's that turn higher than that and the rods and pistons survive a long time!!!!

Right - but the bigger you make it, the lower the margins get. The cross-section/tensile strength of the rod goes up as the square of the size but the mass/load goes up as the cube of the size, so you lose margin as you get bigger.

Full-scale engines like the later years of the V10s and early V8's in F1 got up around 20,000 but only with extreme weight-saving in the piston and highly exotic construction of the rods. Along with pneumatic valve train actuation, pioneered by Renault back in the 80's.

Brett

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 04:40:58 PM »
Zinc lead alloy rods. Melted a bucket of wheel weights.
AMA 77370

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2016, 05:19:06 PM »
     Right - but the bigger you make it, the lower the margins get. The cross-section/tensile strength of the rod goes up as the square of the size but the mass/load goes up as the cube of the size, so you lose margin as you get bigger.

Full-scale engines like the later years of the V10s and early V8's in F1 got up around 20,000 but only with extreme weight-saving in the piston and highly exotic construction of the rods. Along with pneumatic valve train actuation, pioneered by Renault back in the 80's.

Brett

Yeah...Of course.  But I'm sure He's using unobtanium for the rods and pistons, so it won't be a problem.  Also his is a very long stroke engine...it would probably only turn over once before "grenading"...So the piston speed won't get a chance to melt the sleeves!

In the early 1970's Suzuki actually built an experimental 50cc three cylinder 2 stroke motorcycle engine that reliably turned 32,000 RPM but wasn't successful at road racing because the 15 speed gearbox was very unreliable.  (No Kidding)  Horsepower was phenomenal for 50cc.

Randy Cuberly
PS:  You can't take any of this stuff seriously!  LL~ LL~ LL~
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 06:21:54 PM »
You guys missed the superchargers on the exhausts, this doesn't need valves, it works like a ramjet once it gets going.  The starter is probably a turbine from a F-16, but you can't have everything. Engineering is all about compromise.  :##

My guess is the problem will be pulling the carbs all the way into the cylinders due to the suction.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 09:37:34 AM »
The zero displacement engine did away with all of those problems. It cut vibration, which is a power killer, to a bare minimum. Hardly any wear with light oil. The exhaust is so quiet you can not hear it run. The reason it was never continued was because of the gas mileage and the big oil company's bought out the rights. Conspiracy theories abound.
Jim Kraft

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here