News:

• April 26, 2024, 05:47:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hot Glue  (Read 1797 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Hot Glue
« on: November 24, 2015, 06:05:39 AM »
I wonder if anyone here is using hot glue on their models?
One of our club members demonstrated to me how he used hot glue to build up the area that held the receiver (new one was smaller....he wrapped the new piece in aluminum foil).
I know that all the ARF/ARCs are assembled using the stuff....

Just curious.....

Thanks Martha Stewart

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Hot Glue
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 08:04:30 AM »
I crashed a Flying Fool years ago, completely demolishing it.  I re-assembled it using hot glue.  This is a very fast way to put stuff together - as fast as CA, but instead of gluing my fingers together, I burnt them.

One other drawback: the stuff is heavy.  I notice that the glue seams on the ARFs are very thin, so you'll need a fine nozzle, if there is such a thing.

Scott

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 10:32:38 AM »
Go here http://flitetest.com/ and see if you can find a video on hot glue gun reviews.

These guys build everything out of dollar-store foam board, and they're astonishingly serious about their equipment (which makes one wonder why they don't just use BALSA!!!).  At any rate, they show how to lay down a very thin bead of glue to preserve lightness.  They also mention that you want to use dual-range sticks with a high-temperature hot gun to give you the most working time before the glue sets.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 10:33:58 AM »
I've never though of hot glue as being the best way to go.

MM

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 10:37:35 AM »
I've never though of hot glue as being the best way to go.

If it's in use, it's best for something.  I couldn't see using it to put together a serious CL model, but I've put together some foam board stuff both for RC and for CL, and it works quite well.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 11:00:40 AM »
Wreck repair.  Great gap filler .  Yes, it's heavy but if the plane is already sort of dead you can get some more service from it. Also works for gluing tip weight where heavy is good.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »
Unless the Chinese have gotten more quality conscious, the last ARF I bought several years ago was held together with hot glue.  I actually bought one and stripped it down to see how they built it.  I ended up nearly gutting the whole thing and replacing almost everything on it.  That was the last Chinese made ARF I ever bought.  The motor mounts were even put in with hot glue.  Not a good idea.

Mike

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 04:32:44 PM »
Fa'gheddabouddit!  Long live Ambroid!!!   y1

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »
  Do a search on here for threads by me and the engine coming out of my Top Flite Score! It is only a surface bond. When repairing the Score, I was able to peel the remaining glue off every where I could grab hold of it. Not worth the speed.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 05:05:03 PM »
Unless the Chinese have gotten more quality conscious, the last ARF I bought several years ago was held together with hot glue.  I actually bought one and stripped it down to see how they built it.  I ended up nearly gutting the whole thing and replacing almost everything on it.  That was the last Chinese made ARF I ever bought.  The motor mounts were even put in with hot glue.  Not a good idea.

Mike

I got a NIB RC extra 300 arf from a friend as a trade. I assembled it and flew it several times in a 30cc gas engine. I sold it to another friend who made a bad landing and asked me to repair it. I pulled the covering, and tada! Hot glue. This was an 82" model with a big vibrating gas engine.... Hot glue? Weird! I use hot glue on foam planes and park flyers. But this was holding ribs to le and te... That's beyond its capabilities i would say

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 05:43:15 PM »
To decide if its actually beyond the capability of the adhesive, is it stronger thanthe substrate it is attaching? most hot glue is actually stronger than balsa, maybe not stronger than ply , but definitely stronger than balsa.
andif you research a little,there are many varieties of hot glue, not all of it is  the stuff you use to put sparkly things onto christmas ornaments

that said, I dont see a use for it in modeling as we build things,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 06:22:19 PM »
Foam, fluted plastic, anything needing added weight hot glue is the stuff to use.  When bonding foam the working time can be in minutes since the material is nice and insulating.

There are much lighter glues to use for balsa and other woods, so I have not tried to use hot glue for repairs.

Phil

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 05:45:06 AM »
I have taken a number of ARFs apart to rebuild the wings and more troubling than the hot glue is the amount of fuel soaking that I have seen.  Somehow they are not getting their plastic sealed down very well.  I guess, considering the amount of vibration from our engines, there is an argument to be made for using a somewhat elastic glue, but you have to get past the weight issue of hot-glue.

On my ARF Nobler I managed to break the (non-maple) motor mounts.  So the first time I repaired them I used Gorrilla polyurethane glue to just glue them back together.  Afterward, I could grab the spinner and move the engine around!  The glue held like crazy, but it was so flexible, the engine could move!  Sorta like that flexible-mount thing that the stunt-lemmings were chasing a few years ago.  So, I replaced it with an RC mount.  Great improvement!

Scott

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here