News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:48:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hobbylite balsa colored filler  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Hobbylite balsa colored filler
« on: February 10, 2016, 09:39:33 AM »
I molded a leading edge and it didn't come out quite right. It's got a couple of low spots/indentations where some of the ribs were a little too small. I don't want to rip off the LE because it's glued on so tight so I want to fill the dents with something. It's on the bottom of the outboard wing so weight is not a big problem.

I was thinking Hobbylite balsa colored filler because it's cheap, easy to apply and sands very easy. I know it's not good for fillets but I'm going to cover the wing with polyspan and nitrate dope and wondering if it would cause a problem under there? Don't care about adhesion in that little spot but would it eventually blister up?

Really didn't want to pay $30 for Superfil only to use it once. The other option I have in the shop right now is Bondo.

MM

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hobbylite balsa colored filler
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 10:25:24 AM »
Go with it.   May take a couple of thin layers to build it up.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 10:48:36 AM »
It's good stuff. Can be seen through most any color silk job.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 10:54:48 AM »
I'd laminate on very light sheet balsa and sand down to shape.  Cement or medium Cya would do the trick a lot lighter.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 11:28:47 AM »
I tried such products in the past and will never use them again.  When I tried Model Magic (Model Tragic) and other such products they softened when dope was applied and then never re-hardened adequately.  Although these products might be useful when another material is applied over them I still fear the the dope will reach them and the trouble starts.

I have used the Elmer's wood filler for filling in small areas that will be covered with polyspan or some other material.  The Elmer's also softens from the dope but it seems to re-harden better.  So far I have not had any problems with it.  Even so, I rarely use the Elmer's or any water based filler anymore.  I went with the Super Fil since I use it in many areas and it was worth the cost.

I would experiment first on some scraps before I committed to using the Hobbylite or other such products.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 11:37:59 AM »
I'd laminate on very light sheet balsa and sand down to shape.  Cement or medium Cya would do the trick a lot lighter.

Dave

I just did this as a repair for my friends airplane. Sanded it, used aerogloss sanding sealer and covered back with 21st century fabric covering. Came out excellent.
Good call sir

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 01:05:03 PM »

Dave

This is where 1/32 balsa sheet comes in handy, glue it on and block sand to conform with the existing wood. No shrinkage and lighter than any filler.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 01:10:26 PM »
I molded a leading edge and it didn't come out quite right. It's got a couple of low spots/indentations where some of the ribs were a little too small. I don't want to rip off the LE because it's glued on so tight so I want to fill the dents with something. It's on the bottom of the outboard wing so weight is not a big problem.

I was thinking Hobbylite balsa colored filler because it's cheap, easy to apply and sands very easy. I know it's not good for fillets but I'm going to cover the wing with polyspan and nitrate dope and wondering if it would cause a problem under there? Don't care about adhesion in that little spot but would it eventually blister up?

Really didn't want to pay $30 for Superfil only to use it once. The other option I have in the shop right now is Bondo.

MM

Ok in very small quantities and not around butyrate dope. All of these lightweight latex-based spackle compounds are incompatible with butyrate dope. The original CG "Model Magic" was renamed "Model Tragic" because of the issues.

If you just have rare small need, red air-drying automotive filler, or Testor's contour putty, is a reasonable alternative.

Brett

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 01:36:36 PM »
I have also used Elmers Carpenters Wood filler, it dries much harder than the balsa filler and sands really easily

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 04:07:44 PM »
What about spackling compound?

MM

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 05:05:22 PM »
   It's the same stuff only white
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 05:29:05 PM »
I use Ambroid and balsa for this sort of thing.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 06:30:14 PM »
If you buy the Super Fil you will use it more than once, it's great. I need to order more since my "lifetime supply" is almost gone (in 3 years).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:02:00 PM by tom brightbill »
AMA 34849

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 07:57:49 PM »
What about spackling compound?

I actually don't know about regular "heavy" spackling compound. I would expect it to be better but I don't have any experience. This is the stuff I used before I had Super-Fil:

http://shopforpaint.com/Nitro-Stan_Red_Glazing_Putty_tube/category_id/209.html

It's pretty heavy and still shrinks some, but it generally works, and you shouldn't try to fill large areas anyway, so the weight impact is minor.

Brett

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 08:33:50 PM »
If you buy the Super Fil you will use it more than once, it's great. I need to order more since my "lifetime supply" is almost gone (in 3 years).
Tom, your not supposed to build the fuse out of the stuff for cryin out loud LOL
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 06:01:21 AM »
Way back I used plain old spackle. It works fine. I even made large fillets on pattern planes with it. Tight ones, not so good! Filling low spots should work but, as mentioned not recommended. I might go back to it for ding and minor imperfection work. Sands good and only shrinks once. This is the USG green label. The light weight stuff (blue)was the one that got attacked by dope. Now, there are multiple grades but I believe the green is still the same. I only use it on my walls now. I had graduated to Micro balloons and now super fill.

Tom
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:25:12 AM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here