News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:40:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: highlighted words in posts lead to ads  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
highlighted words in posts lead to ads
« on: October 26, 2012, 04:24:25 PM »
Today (for the first time), I noticed a few words in posts were highlighted (i.e., "hot links") and wondered what that was all about. Well, it's ads to various things. I followed one link for awhile, but bailed before the end, when they were going to make me take a $1,000 gift card to Wal-Mart. I'm wondering if this is something Sparky has signed up for, or some sort of "phishing"? If it helps pay the bills, that's fine.  I wouldn't recommend actually clicking on one of the links, but maybe that's just me. I'd like to know what's the 411 on this.  ??? Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: highlighted words in posts lead to ads
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 04:39:53 PM »
I have the same thing and I don't know how it got here or how to get rid of it?
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 06:14:41 PM »
Today (for the first time), I noticed a few words in posts were highlighted (i.e., "hot links") and wondered what that was all about. Well, it's ads to various things. I followed one link for awhile, but bailed before the end, when they were going to make me take a $1,000 gift card to Wal-Mart. I'm wondering if this is something Sparky has signed up for, or some sort of "phishing"? If it helps pay the bills, that's fine.  I wouldn't recommend actually clicking on one of the links, but maybe that's just me. I'd like to know what's the 411 on this.  ??? Steve

Show me them and I will boot whos doing it! I do not allow this action. Please let me know the posts.
AMA 12366

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:35:10 PM »
The words "gift card" in the first post of this topic, it turned out. But maybe that's just for me, or only for my confuser? I thought it was some sort of fund-raiser system that you'd signed up for! FWIW, that would be ok with me, if it paid your server bill. But free? Nyet!  n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:28:42 PM »
I do not see it and its not from here
AMA 12366

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »
Ok, I'll work on my computer to figure out where it's coming from!  '' Steve

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 08:49:24 PM »
I ran a complete scan with "SuperAntiSpyware", got rid of some tracking cookies and appear to have fixed the problem after also refreshing. I guess somebody got some new software that did it. None of the ads were anything real objectionable, just GP commercials about like on teevee. No harm done, and thanks for your quick reply, Sparky!  y1 Steve

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 09:02:09 PM »
I do not nor will I sell or run ads not related to model aircraft.
AMA 12366

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 05:32:46 AM »
You probably had a product like "Text Enhance" installed by something or other. (There are also many others). They are usually Flash Adware applications that get installed along with many Freeware or trial products. They are basically Browser Hijackers. Not really a virus, more of a nuisance but they may log your activity or even log personal information so not something you want on your system at all.

They do not infect web pages only individual users. (So as Robert says it's nothing Stunt Hangar is party to). Most decent Adware products will remove them.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here