News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:11:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Good times bad times.  (Read 11887 times)

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Re: Good times bad times.
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2016, 08:01:50 PM »
Way to get that done.
Good luck on future flights.
Took me a while to learn "End of Flight Discipline" and just fly it out after the pattern. Been doing a lot less gluing after learning that!
Shug
I was thinking about telling Chris, he reminds me of Me when I was flying Beginner. Except he flies better shapes. But I just could not resist the tempation do do some extra whifferdills, as my coach unpleasantly referred to them. And I paid for it, painfully a few times. That might have been some of the residual 1/2A habits I struggled to overcome...back when loops for me were more appropriately like "Yank-and-Hope" than flying. I think everyone does it though, it's how we're wired as fun loving goofballs, and why we fly C/L in the first place.

I'd be proud of that job of rebuilding the front end, Good work Chris. I went with the RC mount and immediately had fp.40 runaway problems from the same engine that had always been well behaved before. My Oriental survived a couple of crashes and still flew very well, even as the weight grew. Last time I flew and finally demolished it, she was up to 55.5 ounces

Btw, when I had a bathroom remodeled, I was told that generally speaking, most of the old drawers in those vanities were made with hard maple for the sides and back. So I saved a few planks for bearer and crutch stock.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2016, 08:25:04 PM »
How did you learn the added stunts after doing the beginner pattern? Guess I should just try the stunts in order instead of giving some of them a try after flying the beginning pattern...
One way is to add enough fuel for some PRE-planned stunts you want to fly after the pattern, so it cuts off 7 or 10 laps after your pre-planned addons are completed.

However when I went up to the full pattern, I just dry-flew it at home a bunch of times. At the field, I would put enough fuel in it for a full pattern, and possibly, during flight, leave out any stunts that worried me. Sometmes those would be the outside squares or hourglass.

In my opinion, your next mission is to get your engine runs, lap times, and fuel load set right and repeatable every time. Until that is accomplished, don't fly full patterns. For fueling, you can never be sure there isn't some left in the tank. So always fill it to overflow, and pull out a certain amount until you find it. Then use that method for every flight from now on.

But remember, the first flight on a different day will be somewhat unpredictable. If colder, expect it to run dry sooner, and visa versa. It's the same at different locations too. Altitude and barometric pressure especially affect it. You need at least one practice flight before a contest for that reason. I like to have about 7 laps after the clover. My LA46 was so dependable, I was flying only 2 laps after, but looking back, that was kinda dumb.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2016, 06:31:48 AM »
I was thinking about telling Chris, he reminds me of Me when I was flying Beginner. Except he flies better shapes. But I just could not resist the tempation do do some extra whifferdills, as my coach unpleasantly referred to them. And I paid for it, painfully a few times. That might have been some of the residual 1/2A habits I struggled to overcome...back when loops for me were more appropriately like "Yank-and-Hope" than flying. I think everyone does it though, it's how we're wired as fun loving goofballs, and why we fly C/L in the first place.

I'd be proud of that job of rebuilding the front end, Good work Chris. I went with the RC mount and immediately had fp.40 runaway problems from the same engine that had always been well behaved before. My Oriental survived a couple of crashes and still flew very well, even as the weight grew. Last time I flew and finally demolished it, she was up to 55.5 ounces

Btw, when I had a bathroom remodeled, I was told that generally speaking, most of the old drawers in those vanities were made with hard maple for the sides and back. So I saved a few planks for bearer and crutch stock.
Rusty
Thanks Rusty, I wish I could build them as nice as you do!
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2016, 11:26:12 AM »
Thanks Rusty, I wish I could build them as nice as you do!
Don't sell yourself short, Chris. Watching your Oriental repairs and Nobler mods shows you have good building sense. And the shapes you fly in the Beginner pattern are better than the ones I graduated to Intermediate with. I had a coach who is a PA judge and a good Intermediate pilot, and loves trimming more than any other aspect of the hobby. That helps the learning curve a lot.

In my paragraph about your next mission, I didn't mention flight trimming the airframe, and you really need someone to watch your plane from the outside to see some of the necessary adjustments. I know you have a pit man, hopefully he can identify hinging, flap irregularities, etc. so your plane won't be fighting you.

Good luck, plan your flights, fuel accordingly, and stop those whifferdills! Lol
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »
Hi Liner, I see that your address is Pittsburgh, PA great town, great Football team! You are close to Carmichaels, PA take a run down there to Brodak's Store after you've accumulated a list to make the trip worth the time and gas! You'll be able to get what ever you want!

As to the LA .46 how much time is on it? You may benefit from running it in a bit more. I've found that their runs improve with an hour of cycling and run slightly on the rich side. If you have a test stand run it on there some and pinch the fuel line to rev it up from time to time slightly rich to slightly lean. How much total oil is in your fuel? My experience is that 22% total oil equally split between castor and synthetic is just about right. 5 to 10% Nitro is fine. I've had nice results with my LA .46's using 7.5% which is a mix of 50 50 5 and 10% Nitro blends. If your engine is running on LHS RC fuel ...ditch it and get some of Brodak's 10 or 5 11:11 blend. Its got an honest amount of oil in the mix and will not over heat your engine.

Finally read what Randy Smith has to say in the engine portion of this forum about getting great Stunt Runs. He'll also answer your questions as well!

You may want to invest in a spool of .015 bradded steel cable to measure and cut your own lines John Brodak, as well as sponsors on this Forum, can help you out on this as well! you'll also need eyelets and hair wire to wrap your ends. I prefer not to use crimps!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2016, 03:50:52 AM »
Don't sell yourself short, Chris. Watching your Oriental repairs and Nobler mods shows you have good building sense. And the shapes you fly in the Beginner pattern are better than the ones I graduated to Intermediate with. I had a coach who is a PA judge and a good Intermediate pilot, and loves trimming more than any other aspect of the hobby. That helps the learning curve a lot.

In my paragraph about your next mission, I didn't mention flight trimming the airframe, and you really need someone to watch your plane from the outside to see some of the necessary adjustments. I know you have a pit man, hopefully he can identify hinging, flap irregularities, etc. so your plane won't be fighting you.

Good luck, plan your flights, fuel accordingly, and stop those whifferdills! Lol
Rusty
I can fix them I just can't make them look perfect like that Yak9 you did or that pretty sweet Twister! Most of the the time my pit man is my stooge  ;D sometimes fly with my dad but he is still making stalling loops an lazy eights. He could tell if it is flying level but as for the rest of trimming that is kinda beyond us!
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2016, 03:57:15 AM »
Hi Liner, I see that your address is Pittsburgh, PA great town, great Football team! You are close to Carmichaels, PA take a run down there to Brodak's Store after you've accumulated a list to make the trip worth the time and gas! You'll be able to get what ever you want!

As to the LA .46 how much time is on it? You may benefit from running it in a bit more. I've found that their runs improve with an hour of cycling and run slightly on the rich side. If you have a test stand run it on there some and pinch the fuel line to rev it up from time to time slightly rich to slightly lean. How much total oil is in your fuel? My experience is that 22% total oil equally split between castor and synthetic is just about right. 5 to 10% Nitro is fine. I've had nice results with my LA .46's using 7.5% which is a mix of 50 50 5 and 10% Nitro blends. If your engine is running on LHS RC fuel ...ditch it and get some of Brodak's 10 or 5 11:11 blend. Its got an honest amount of oil in the mix and will not over heat your engine.

Finally read what Randy Smith has to say in the engine portion of this forum about getting great Stunt Runs. He'll also answer your questions as well!

You may want to invest in a spool of .015 bradded steel cable to measure and cut your own lines John Brodak, as well as sponsors on this Forum, can help you out on this as well! you'll also need eyelets and hair wire to wrap your ends. I prefer not to use crimps!

Phil Spillman
Ive been to Brodaks quite a lot lately, just wish the local hobby shops had the simple things when you want it right now kind of thing.

The LA in the Nobler is new. LA in the Oriental seems to be well used. I've been running Omega 10% with a cup of castor added into a gallon.  They do seem to run better with some time on them. I had a LA 40 that took some time before I was happy with it in my Twister.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2016, 07:18:13 PM »
Battered and bruised but Oriental is back together!  #^ I can't wait to give it a try again. I hope it flys as good as it did before.

Chris
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2016, 02:36:48 PM »
Don't be surprised if it doesn't fly better.  Looks good.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2016, 08:39:09 PM »
Don't be surprised if it doesn't fly better.  Looks good.
Thanks Doc! Sadly to say I went out to try it tonight but when I went to unwind my lines they were twisted together so bad I couldn't even get them untwisted myself, plus they had about 4 kinks in them that I saw.  I don't know what happened there, I didn't wind them up last. Maybe this is a reason to not use the 19strand wire I don't know. Anyway I didn't get to try it, only other set of longer lines I have are .018 thick unlike the .015 I was using. Might try those another day since I didn't have them with me.

Chris
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2016, 11:18:56 PM »
I'm convinced 100%, 7 strand is best. Sounds like somebody didn't reel them onto the spool, rather wrapped them. That's a mess.
.018s are pretty darned heavy, better add some tip weight... or better yet, get some more .015" Your local fishing outfiter may have them for stainless steel leader wire.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2016, 05:24:40 PM »
I'm convinced 100%, 7 strand is best. Sounds like somebody didn't reel them onto the spool, rather wrapped them. That's a mess.
.018s are pretty darned heavy, better add some tip weight... or better yet, get some more .015" Your local fishing outfiter may have them for stainless steel leader wire.
I have been trying to get a hold of Tom Morris for a couple days to get new lines but no luck so far.  I'll try the 7 strand if he has it an I can get a hold off him.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2016, 09:54:45 AM »
You haven't noticed that Tom finally made it to a Tulsa contest this past weekend.  He should be home soon. VD~    Haven't had my coffee yet. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2016, 10:08:32 AM »
You haven't noticed that Tom finally made it to a Tulsa contest this past weekend.  He should be home soon. VD~    Haven't had my coffee yet. D>K
He emailed me this morning saying he was away an back now.  I am usually in the dark about stuff n~ I'm guessing it has been on here about him going to Tulsa?
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2016, 11:16:31 AM »
In the Tulsa contest report there is a picture of the one and only Tom Morse.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2016, 04:00:58 PM »
In the Tulsa contest report there is a picture of the one and only Tom Morse.   H^^
Izzat the guy that invented the Morris Code?
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here