News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:40:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Ragtime" my Future e-ride preview.  (Read 4083 times)

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
"Ragtime" my Future e-ride preview.
« on: November 14, 2015, 12:11:48 PM »
I have not built a Pampa ship since my "Top Hat" which was published a few years ago. That airplane is now about 12 years old.

As I have mentioned my next Pampa airplane will be electric. Work has started on the "Ragtime". Span is 59", Area approx. 640 sq. The wing will be foam.
The name denotes part of my professional piano playing background.

Priority is completing the "Jet Falcon" followed closely by the "Ragtime".
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:19:47 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Future e-ride preview.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 02:30:54 PM »
Looks nice see some of the Vagabond in it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »
Doc,

Not an ounce of "Vagabond" in it.

The original influence was a 1/2A team racer from the '50s. Then slimmed down and refined.

AMA 7544

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 04:26:17 PM »
A Dil-Bod I betcha.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 04:29:52 PM »
Steve,

You got it!  I'll bet that less than one out of a thousand could have guessed correctly.

Are you from Oklahoma?
AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 04:50:32 PM »
Tom,

I see some of the ARGO in that design. Maybe the canopy line?

I'm Kidding!! Just Kidding!  LL~ LL~ LL~

I took a real good look at your drawings. A real good look.

Great airfoil, I'd like to have a drawing of that airfoil. No kidding there.

Wing tips and stab tips complement, I like that. Clean and neat.

The fuselage outline has classic appeal. With your, "clever," double scoops just behind the spinner,

gives the appearance of the racing appeal of yesteryear. Gotta love those racers of yesteryear! AND, you didn't go overboard with your spinner size. Smart.

Thought went into the wheel covers also. You didn't draw them only once.

Great kudos, right.

Now, IMHO, please and it's not worth much,  LL~ , the only change I would make is the TE, I would have one that is straight, but that's me.

Otherwise, a 10 out of 10!!!  H^^  H^^  Double hats off!!

Did you know I was a Ragtime/Jazz drummer?

Now I play the banjo badly. Very badly.

Oh! How soon before we see the Build!

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 05:10:32 PM »
. . . I'll bet that less than one out of a thousand could have guessed correctly . . .
================================================

Anyone who was around in the '50s should've seen the "Dil-Bod" influence.  y1
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »
I built and flew a "Dilbod" when I was 12.  I recognized it instantly, and have always liked the look.  Should make a great PAMPA Stunter.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 06:02:46 PM »
I thought that was Tom's design?

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 06:10:01 PM »
I thought that was Tom's design?

Charles
================================================

Tom alluded to the Dil-Bod influence.  See his reply #4.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 09:06:04 PM »
I have not built a Pampa ship since my "Top Hat" which was published a few years ago. That airplane is now about 12 years old.

As I have mentioned my next Pampa airplane will be electric. Work has started on the "Ragtime". Span is 59", Area approx. 640 sq. The wing will be foam.
The name denotes part of my professional piano playing background. v=

Priority is completing the "Jet Falcon" closely by the "Ragtime". (Perfect name for a pro piano player
Tom! I loved that beautiful original "Top Hat" of yours when I saw for the first time. You have a great MINDS EYEBALL for a beautiful color scheme and design----plus it was so   Refeshing to see such a nice EXIT away those JET style stunters of the early 70's. (GADS! 12 years ago? TIME FLIES :) The choice of colors and paint design scheme was truly unique and looks so awesome against either a blue sky or a cloudy day.
Looking forward to seeing this new model be transformed  again from a plan to a finished work of art.

Don Shultz

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 04:35:28 AM »
Nope..not from Oklahoma..Ohio. Never built one; only saw the pictures in the ads of the period. I did build the 1/2A Snapper and it was the first plane I looped. Does anyone know why it was called the Dil-Bod?

Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 08:08:33 AM »
Doc,

Not an ounce of "Vagabond" in it.

The original influence was a 1/2A team racer from the '50s. Then slimmed down and refined.

Sorry Tom, I didn't mean to insult your artistic talents.   I had a Dil-Bod kit a couple of years ago that a friend of mine wanted it real bad as he said he had one when he was a teen ager.  I like it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »
Thanks guys for the good comments.

I think all designs are influenced by others. Same in full size aircraft.

I have always said that all airliners are just modifications of the DC3!

Shultzie,
Glad that you liked the paint scheme on the "Top Hat". It really was based on a Corvette red. I have no idea how I will paint the "Ragtime" frankly, there are many on the forum that are much  better at creating paint schemes . I am open to suggestions, but keep in mind that I don't like green on a stunter. (Just my opinion)

It is funny that you mention a change from the "70s" jet style. Particularly since I am working on John D'Ottavio's "Jet Falcon". But that was from  1964 and has contours that NOBODY had on their "Jets". I am working on the controls at this time.

Charles,
Actually the wheel pants were drawn only once. Nick D'Appuzzo, who designed the DeKnight Special midget racer, was a good friend of mine.(I also met Bart DeKnight through Nick.) The DeKnight Special and the racers of that era had wheel pants that were large for the size of the airplane. So, for the "Ragtime" I wanted the large wheel  pants to achieve the low look of the midget racers.

AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 07:24:34 PM »
Tom,

Looks like you know or have known a few aviators. That's always a good thing because generally they are interesting people. Good for you.

OK, I was wrong on the pants. However, possibly Nick D'Appuzzo drew them a few times?

You saw my first reply. That's a great looking model and I took a real good look at it.

I need the airfoil for my ARGO II.

Color choice makes a difference.

Choose wisely.

Charles

P.S. Many don't like green on a stunter. Is that like, don't walk under a ladder, kinda thing?

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 08:23:01 PM »
Charles,
The green negative is just my thing. I like colors that pop and that you would see on most airshow airplanes. I do like the variations of blue like what you did on your airplane.

AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "Ragtime" my Future e-ride preview.
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 02:42:16 PM »
Tom,

Send me the airfoil template.  ;D

I could use it for the ARGO II.

Charles

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 03:38:54 PM »
Charles,
Sent you a P.M. from my email
AMA 7544

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 04:14:18 PM »
If your flying site is surrounded by trees, you soon realize why no one else painted their plane green or did a cammy paint job.  There's nothing quite as thrilling as having your plane disappear into the background just before you do your 5' pull-out....

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 04:59:08 PM »
Charles,
Sent you a P.M. from my email

Tom,

Never got it!  n~

Charles

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 05:18:16 PM »
Charles,
I sent you a PDF from my personal e-mail.

Scott,
You are so right. Might be part of getting older. I remember the black fuselage on a airplane that I flew and Ed Elasick had his chocolate brown Impala, flying against the trees at the Circle Burner's field.. It never bothered us.

But now it would be a killer. That is why John D'Ottavio's airplanes were orange.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:40:12 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 06:20:06 PM »
Tom,

Thank you, I got that. What a guy!

It's perfect!

It's beyond perfect, it's outstanding!  H^^

Good luck with your great design, "Ragtime."

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 10:42:35 PM »
Tom,

Your Ragtime. How's that coming along? Did you get anything done on it?

It's a really nice design.

I was thinking about that model because I asked for the airfoil. You kindly sent it to me. Thank you.

I scored a T-Bird wing I'm using for the ARGO II, so I will save the airfoil for some other model.

One quick last thing.

You mentioned the oversize wheel pants on the Ragtime, what size wheel will you use?

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here