Re: Frank Bowman
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 11:07:58 AM »
That is bad news.

Offline andy borgogna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »
Having had him help me out on a couple of engines I can say without reservation that Frank was a serious craftsman and a true gentleman.  His contribution to all arenas of model aircraft will be missed.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 08:25:37 PM »
What the heck are you guys using these days that needs a ring? Old ST's?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 08:35:43 PM »

Old Super Tigres and the newer ST.51s. I wanted to get a few for the St.51s and the older ST.60s but I guess I waited too long. I have two or three older ST.60s that needed rings the most, just to freshen them up and try to put them as close to new as possible. I have several ST.46s also and wouldn't mind a few spares for those either.
    Maybe some bright young man can be mentored by Frank and carry on the tradition! It's cool to keep the old engines running and usable.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 08:40:22 PM »

I've bought a couple old enyas, 45s and 60s, that may or not need rings. Fortunately, they are still available new.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 09:02:16 PM »
I don't have any model airplane engines that use rings... but since they're no longer being made... think I ought to stock up just in case I get a ringed engine?

LL~
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 09:04:58 PM »
I tried 3-4 times but, never had a good experience with Frank. Although I have to send out a thank you because, his service was so bad it compelled me to learn and start making my own piston rings so, I have those skills now, thank you.

MM

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 12:08:31 PM »
Motorman,  I am shocked to read what you wrote.  I dealt with the guy for over 20 years. Never a problem.  In fact he always went above and beyond to help me.   For instance he made me nylon wrist pin buttons, aluminum spacers for OS engine to go behind the thrust washer, straightened cranks in addition to make me rings to my liking which were unfitted. 

He was always prompt in sending out orders too.

I guess the saying, you can't make everyone happy certainly has validity after reading what you said.

Yeah I too have had good service and friendship with Frank over the years.

He does have a bit of a problem with know-it alls that try to tell him how things should really be done...just say'n!

He is however a very nice person who knows model airplane engines and parts as well as anyone around!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 01:52:27 PM »
I tried 3-4 times but, never had a good experience with Frank. Although I have to send out a thank you because, his service was so bad it compelled me to learn and start making my own piston rings so, I have those skills now, thank you.

MM

OK WHAT Engines are you making rings for? Have they been tested? Dykes Rings? Heat treating?  Material? Service? Price? I NEED RINGS
Could you let us know?

Scott Riese
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 06:59:50 AM »
Sure wish I had gotten some for my old McCoy .29 gold (low compression) head, and my Dooling .29!  :-\

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »

right now i only have fixtures for the S/T 60 ,between now and the first of the year i will make fixtures for the S/T 46 .it takes me about 6 hrs to make all the pieces for the fixtures 
   i am using a fine grain cast iron, they are not heat treated.  i have just put rings in two 60's ,one has 32 oz run through it on the bench, with great compression .i will put it in a plane as soon as the wind lets up around here, .i will be using one of them in my old time at the KOI.
  i have not figured out a price yet
rad racer

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 03:46:35 PM »
http://users.tpg.com.au/agnet/make%20piston%20rings.html

This is good.

Good stuff there, Scott! Sourcing suitable cast iron to use was also very cool. I would probably look for suitable sized Meehanite barstock...same stuff Duke Fox used for pistons. If you're going to do all the work, probably best to start with known good stuff! Should not be all that hard to get...maybe even McMaster-Carr. 

Although I hope to be rid of all piston rings before too long (via Brian Gardner ABC sets for two G.51's), I've wondered how to do this for about 5 decades! Lots of great ideas and logical techniques. One thing I have considered (I didn't read through the entire article yet) would be to figure out a way to bake some sort of lube into the cast iron ring...maybe cook it in molybdenum infused oil or even just graphite lock oil? I have some piston coating stuff from my motorcycle days that might be useful. Not sure just what the heck it is...Teflon, Molybdenum, or some other golly gee whiz stuff. I recall it was pretty expensive...if you want it, I'll figure out a way to get it to you.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »

MM

I talked to Frank this morning and he said when people had a bad experience with his rings it was usually the result of not following his directions for installation and then blaming his rings.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 12:37:55 PM »
I talked to Frank this morning and he said when people had a bad experience with his rings it was usually the result of not following his directions for installation and then blaming his rings.

I have had some dealings with Frank and have had nothing but great service; in fact, I can't imagine how it could have been any better both in terms of his service and his products.  Perhaps some of the people dealing with Frank and having a bad experience are, how shall I put this, difficult?
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here