News:

• April 16, 2024, 08:31:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flying on Water  (Read 12254 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Flying on Water
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 12:30:17 AM »
It l;ooks pretty much spot on , with the huge floats there theres likely No Problem .

IF accelerating from ' sunk ' the prop tourque would further sink the Inner . A Wee Shove , or Dropping It, onto the water ( motor Running )
saves its bewiderment and myrid of forces ( Lines , Float Drag , tourque , acceleration reaction etc )

But Still , I Made Mine Counter Clock , so if flown from a RAFT , I wouldnt walk of the back of it , on take off .

Id Done a Morley T Bolt with floats , that sat into the wavelets and wind , bogged down ( underpowered )
I walked a fair way back up the beach gently keeping the tension on the lines . HENCE the current ' Lines on the Other Wing ' set up .
The Tourque can actually stuff up flying on grass , as they want to turn out , thus the keel scrubs & sticks .Unless Given a SHOVE .

I Think your only look out will be keeping the lines OUT OF THE WATER . maybe. Speed Flyers Handle way up , Maybe .
Your FLOATS are TWICE the Bouyanct of mine , so youll be out of the ' edge of the margins ' , where on landing
the lines can weight the inner float of the MC72 under  & put a tip in the water . Then the WET lines are heavier ( than dry )
so it dosnt want to get back on an even keel . WHICK IS WHY IT NOW HAS BIGGER FLOATS ( 40 % more bouyancey )

But as it was ACE  for F2B , if its not gonna go like it  did atmosphereically (  S?P) the skinny floats will be remade & fitted .

SO ,

A , Keep The LINES DRY .

B. Give it a Shove , or drop it from 1 or 2 in above water - at least till you see ' how she goes '.

LANDING should show it all above board , and shipshape .What Happens is the WETTED AREA of the FLOATS has A LOT of ' STICTION '
untill its ' On The Step ' . So a drop or shove gets it out of the wallow , straight off .

Lookie Here , Twin Fans ( Hulls big enough for one HUGE One ) Symetrical Airfoil , Stab Trims , so is almost ' full Moving '.
The Say no troubles with snout drinking on it . One or two hit a log, holed and SUNK . :(

If youve seen the massive Russian Albatross Jet flying Boat , it sits way low - Massive power gets it moving like a ship .
at some speed , the thing surges up like a cork - acceleartes like blazes , with the reduce of drag ( Hydrodynamic ) ,
rotaes and goes up like a 747 , Dripping Gallons .

The 72 Sheds Water effusively , clearing the tide . touch & Go's - the ' Stiction ' gets it cutting the water , and ' in a groove 'in it .
Needs a distinct ' pull up ' to get the turn ( up ) to lift out . ON THE NARROW FLOATS . it doing a fair clip on the water ,
the rotation slows it and it holds nose up a way , gently dropping the nose ( After a Pause * ) it accelerates to flying hight ( 5-6 ft )

Gets You Wishing You Had a THROTTLE .

* the S6 full size , Full Up . ( stick in the stomach ) was held . AND AFTER TAKEOFF .If Realeased or eased it went in , Drowning one of em .
But THAT is on a high loading marginal bouyancey sucker . Worth Noting , but largly irrelevant , as your way out of those ' margins .

I should think youd have no bother . But The T Bolt did a few wingovers into the tide , and flown on Half , tide upwind Wingovered into terra firma
Lines Slack .

So to make a long story SHORT . DONT TAKE OFF INTO THE WIND ! ;D

Take  your camera & maybe a Video , if you have .

( Dropping the plane from under six inches,  Un Going , will show you its bouyancey & Sit . Again with lines & a Bod @ the Handle , Any Differance .
MAYBE Nail On extra tip weight . What We NEED is a Submerged by say 6 in. wharf / walkway . The we can do the ' walk on water ' trip . S?P)

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2016, 08:17:35 PM »
Well fellas I did it! Went pretty good to, the floats do make it fly a bit sluggish though. Maybe she needs a 40 instead of a 35. I got loops out of it an 8s some sloppy square loops. It was fun though!
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2016, 08:33:43 PM »
Another view of the same video.  Ohhh yeah I tried a touch and go wile I was at it,  probably not a smart idea but it kept going.  Sure did slow down a lot though.

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2016, 11:16:45 AM »
Watching you have fun, it didn't look sluggish to this old man.   What length line? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2016, 11:36:36 AM »
Just so you know Chris, your my new hero!

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2016, 01:20:49 PM »
Watching you have fun, it didn't look sluggish to this old man.   What length line? H^^
58ft lines. Think the floats make a big air brake.

Just so you know Chris, your my new hero!
That was an epic time  #^
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2016, 04:45:32 PM »
Oooooooooooh My Gosh!

The "KING" of, "Flying "off" Water."

Great job with the camera. Absolutely inspiring.

Outstanding!

You are my hero also.

King Liner!!

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2016, 06:53:05 PM »
Oooooooooooh My Gosh!

The "KING" of, "Flying "off" Water."

Great job with the camera. Absolutely inspiring.

Outstanding!

You are my hero also.

King Liner!!

Charles

LL~ Thank you but I'm no King I just gave something different a try! Ha Ha I still crash with the best of them.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2016, 07:26:53 PM »
Second flight...

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2016, 07:30:31 PM »
Let my dad give it a try, I just forgot to tell him to move back after take off to the big safe rock. I clipped this tree myself on the first try.

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2016, 07:49:02 PM »
I gave the AquaMaster one final flight, it was a disaster from the take off. Some reason it bounced out an in on take off, lines went slack an I never got a chance to move away from the tree that kept trying to jump in front of the airplane. I picked up a pretty big branch that didn't let go of the airplane, it hitched a ride an killed the aerodynamic Ringmaster. All in all I had a blast!

Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2016, 08:08:09 PM »
"King" Liner,

You need a bigger pond.

I just thought of something. The water is moving at a good speed, so it must be cold as hell.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2016, 08:13:32 PM »
"King" Liner,

You need a bigger pond.

I just thought of something. The water is moving at a good speed, so it must be cold as hell.

It was humid an sooooooooo hot that day the water felt good. It's not usually too cold,  you can swim in it.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2016, 08:15:16 PM »
I don't really know what I would of done if a kayaker came by at that moment!  An some how some way I'm sure I broke some law doing that.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2016, 10:34:17 PM »
School of Hard knocks !

Just as well you missed the Tidal Waves .  VD~ LL~

good Camera work . Looked to fly good . New Class for C/L Stunt . ! Can repair it for the next rainy Ringmaster Day , they fly good on wet grass & snow .

Thanks for posting the Videos .

The Extra Drag in nose up or down pitch with the floats , and acceleration withem ' neutral ' to the flightpath is evident ( Three Fuses )
sortta indicates how much that drag is the Fuse rather than the wing , on conventional ( air ) ships . Being a profile with the floats .

Sort of ' edgeing ' or flying the turn stops it . Or you can look at them as another ' trim ' consideration .
 Certainly didnt look to curtail its aerobatic ability .

H^^

Any Alligators out there .   :) ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 10:59:35 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2016, 09:21:29 AM »
Looks like it will fly again.   May have to go to shorter lines.  I hope you did check every thing before that last flight.  Any way that water has to be cooler than a pave lot this time of year.  As Matt says, wet grass or snow will work.  We did that with the RC floats planes when I played with RC. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2016, 10:10:38 AM »
Looks like it will fly again.   May have to go to shorter lines.  I hope you did check every thing before that last flight.  Any way that water has to be cooler than a pave lot this time of year.  As Matt says, wet grass or snow will work.  We did that with the RC floats planes when I played with RC. H^^
That Ringmaster took some abuse. Hitting trees an water seemed to absorb most of it, the wing never broke out of the fuselage. I did use some CA on it after the first crash. Mostly just the one float started falling apart, and some monokote holes. Think I might try my OS Max-H 40S  in it next  ;D
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2016, 11:04:15 PM »
Though the ' defoliage ' was pretty good . But Vertically into rock , 3 in. of water isnt going to slow it down , a lot .

My Blankety 40S in the 72 is a bit wallowey on a 11x6 , Fitted a 11x5 thinned . The Master Black 11x5 worked pretty good .
Thinking the tide / current just caught it and pushed er in , on THAT take off . Heavy Rain and Flooded Fields give a good ' pond ' .  ;) H^^

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2016, 11:12:57 PM »
If youve got a FP or LA it might be kinder to the Venerable 40S to thermal shock something else , in the dunkings .  :-\

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here