• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Re: FAA
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 09:04:57 AM »
The FAA site

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/

do not google and go to any third party sites as they just cost money you do not need to spend...the process is relatively painless and very fast
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 09:24:08 AM »
Hi Bob,
JUST registered last night by using the FAA phone line and spoke to a REAL person while completing the application. Several times I was put 'on hold' so the person could ask someone else for clarification pertaining to my questions. When completed, I use their contact E-MAIL and sent the enclosed question. Ya know......Just wasn't satisfied with the responses received. Thought it might need a little more attention to detail. YES! Described in detail over the phone what C/L models were and their flying limitations as far as altitude is concerned. I didn't delve into the realm of COMBAT! LOL!
THIS MORNING,I received their reply. Here is my message & the following reply.

FAA letter

If your MODEL AIRCRAFT, NOT a quad copter or radio controlled device, is a control line MODEL AIRPLANE, does one still need to register with the FAA.?? This is a hobby flying control line MODEL AIRPLANES that are attached to the pilot by steel braided cables, with NO RADIOS. They fly in a circle with a maximum altitude governed by the type of aircraft and competition entered. The maximum line length, ie, altitude, permitted by the AMA Contest Board is 70'. Thank you in advance for your time.

2016-02-09 04:00:29 AM EST - Norris, Robert Additional comments:
Thank you for contacting the FAA Help Desk for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). Helis, drones, planes, etc. – if it's RC'd and 0.55 lbs or over, must be registered. If your does not meet both requirements, you do not.
Please visit www.faa.gov/uas/registration for more information.
U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Aviation Administration
800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20591

Ref:MSG1305321

So....There it is!
Good luck & "Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 10:30:16 AM »
That's almost Funny!!!!

At least until the next government Dufus comes along and says "Oh yes everything has to be registered, even your little sisters paddle ball!"

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

What a bunch of clowns!

Randy Cuberly
PS:  At any rate thanks for posting your experience!
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 11:12:02 AM »
""Oh yes everything has to be registered"
Yea......That's what the 'nice voice' at the end of the phone line said.
That prompted me to send the E-MAIL to verify or glean another answer.
So like......Wonder if I can get my $5 back??? LL~ LL~ HB~> LL~
"Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »
I Know how these agencies do business; I do not see the answer as definitive.... RC'd does NOT mean radio controlled in their narrow view...it is "remote controlled over .55 lbs" and they went to great lengths to describe an AIRCRAFT that has no pilot ON BOARD but flown in the NAS as a model aircraft AKA UAS covered by this regulation, rule, law.....

I can see asking 100 FAA reps this question, and getting more "yes it does" (need to be registered) than "no it doesn't" when asked about control line ONLY model aircraft

If you search a bit further and print out the cue cards for local authorities...there would not be any way a park ranger, sheriffs deputy, or LEO who could/would consider a Control Line aircraft as exempted

I have said quite a few times...UNTIL the DoT/FAA specifically EXEMPTS ALL control line...we are currently required to register....

They have all sorts of disclaimers in the Fed about a employee can not speak for the agency and be considered a legal definition on any part of any regulation

What I mean is---- if a help desk employee of the agency gives you bad advice you can not use that as a affirmative defense....this has been through the courts many many times

None!  of what I write on this should ever be construed as an agreement with this rule/law....I think, like many here, the Dot /FAA registration is never going to provide the end stated goal, and is an outrageous over reach that only impacts already law abiding citizens negatively

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:05:45 PM »
I Know how these agencies do business; I do not see the answer as definitive.... RC'd does NOT mean radio controlled in their narrow view...it is "remote controlled over .55 lbs" and they went to great lengths to describe an AIRCRAFT that has no pilot ON BOARD but flown in the NAS as a model aircraft AKA UAS covered by this regulation, rule, law.....

I can see asking 100 FAA reps this question, and getting more "yes it does" (need to be registered) than "no it doesn't" when asked about control line ONLY model aircraft

If you search a bit further and print out the cue cards for local authorities...there would not be any way a park ranger, sheriffs deputy, or LEO who could/would consider a Control Line aircraft as exempted

I have said quite a few times...UNTIL the DoT/FAA specifically EXEMPTS ALL control line...we are currently required to register....

They have all sorts of disclaimers in the Fed about a employee can not speak for the agency and be considered a legal definition on any part of any regulation

What I mean is---- if a help desk employee of the agency gives you bad advice you can not use that as a affirmative defense....this has been through the courts many many times

None!  of what I write on this should ever be construed as an agreement with this rule/law....I think, like many here, the Dot /FAA registration is never going to provide the end stated goal, and is an outrageous over reach that only impacts already law abiding citizens negatively

Yeah, what happened to Congress make Laws, and the law says the FAA cannot regulate model aircraft!....

Nobody pays attention to the law anymore or the constitution, just a bunch of clowns
 in some backroom of the government that have decided they are in charge.  It's time to just say NO!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »
I will never comply with this idiocy.

MG

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 02:41:50 PM »
On the bright side, my email inbox was just blessed with the arrival of newz from the AMA, stating that the FAA's ban on model flying within the 30 mile radius of DC has been lifted. I'm sure that will make some folks really happy. You can contact your District VP or club officer for confirmation. This probably will not stop the local authorities (or the FAA) from telling you otherwise, of course.

My situation is that while I don't have to register to fly a CL model, the airport (where our club leases space to fly) currently/apparently requires that we be registered. I don't know how this will be enforced, or how it would work for contests, particularly how it would work with the Dreaded Canadian Stunt Team. I'm tempted to join VGMC and fly at their field, or just go fly at the soccer fields at Lk. Sammamish State Park.   y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 02:48:30 PM »
I think that it has been clear for some weeks that CL fliers do NOT have to register. But if we enjoy arguing it further, have at it!

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 03:26:26 PM »
Yep, you're right Ty!

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 03:38:14 PM »
 where dose that leave U/C scale ships that only have throttle or add ones under 2,4,but not the elavators
rad racer

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 03:55:15 PM »
I asked the AMA about CL scale that use 2.4 Ghz RC controls and if we have to register about 6 weeks ago...I have not received an answer. I registered back in December for free so I am covered. It's hard enough to explain what CL is and then tell them it's a CL model with RC controls, they would have to see it in person to fully understand how it works.

At our Contest here in St Louis on Feb 28th I am not going to mention the FAA registration or check it. Tony Stillman did answer me on that one. FAA Registration is between the pilot and the FAA and the CD of the contest does not have to check it or mention it. I doubt our county park Ranger knows what to look for, but I have my registration card if they ask.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here