News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:53:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Excuse the assault please ...I desire a three blade Prop recommendation  (Read 3828 times)

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
First; I am a sport flier of One and this request is for purely aesthetic reasons

I prefer to fly 63 to 67 foot circles at 5.5 to 6.2 rotational speed

For now---- I am having fun with Ring Masters and RSTs at 60' to 65' and mostly coming home with each--- JUST a little---Castro slime, and not needing MORE and MORE epoxy....grin

ON hand and not finished are:

TF Nobler ARF scheduled for a good OS LA .40
Brodak P-40 ARF scheduled for a good OS LA .46

Soon this year;
R Smith/Brodak SV-11 ARF scheduled for a very good Randy Smith B&B Magnum .52

I desire to have all three of these models sport a 3 bladed prop and nice spinner

I asked Randy Smith or his suggestions already

I know what Wilk's has
------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPORT flier means to me:

Decent take off speed from a stooge
Firm level laps
Inside and out side loops with some very LAZY 8s
rarely inverted...mostly an accident screwing up a lazy 8
occasionally a REAL wing over if I feel healthy enough, but generally my wing over is less than 90 degrees and the pull out a real adrenaline event

from combat days ...sometimes I just yank the model all around and do what it takes to keep it out of the dirt/grass...

I am a OLD teen age CL combat dude...or is that DUD  ----what ever,  mostly an engine guy, so I can get the engines/tanks/planes excepting my nonsensical abuse with no sags or flame outs

Don't judge too harshly...

I am the ONLY gent in a 75 mile radius that does this stuff
I am old and beat to hell
I love the sound and smell of Glow fuel
I get a balsa ( that is a "wood"  miss Virginia)  effect ...when something I BUILT actually flies...badly or well
I still giggle like a school girl when I make a hole in the ground and render all man made and natural fibers into their original molecular composition....

Despite the countless hours of non professional crafting and finishing.....but some times -my laughter does turn into a few tears ...realizing I just FUBARED my favorite model

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 06:56:04 AM by Fredvon4 »
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
snip
------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPORT flier means to me:

"Descent take off speed from a stooge"

snip

Hi Fred,

Thoroughly enjoyed your post but one thing caused me some "hmmmm" moments;  See above in red.

I scratched my head for at least a minute trying to figure out how a takeoff can begin with a "descent (going lower...closer to the ground! ???)" whether one is a Beginner or an Expert until it finally dawned on me that you slipped in the "s" by accident and actually meant "...decent...(as in "acceptable y1).  Gave me a chuckle once I figured it out!

Re the three bladed prop question I'm afraid I'm so far removed from what's available today that I can't be of any help.  I do, however, share your preference for the three bladers and guard my  properly aged Brian Eather stock jealously just in case I ever fly something again.  They do look coul!

Ted Fancher

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral

Hi Fred;
     Look into the 3-blade props from Master Airscrew. I have used their 12-6 cut down and repitched in various forms on  the ST.51 in my Shark.45. They have a 10-5 and a 10-7 I believe in that range. These are reasonably priced and readily available and can be repitched with a heat gun. I have one of their 10-5 props on my "Dusty" profile scale/stunt model and it works very well. Someone here on the list years ago got a large order together for the 10-5 and they have kept it in their line. They all gauge out at less than indicated pitch, but if you know what they are in reality you can probably make them work. And if you have a pitch guage, you can make them anything you want, and they handle pretty easily, and hold their pitch sitting in the summer sun. Check them out and see. The 12-6 goes in the 10 dollar range now, I think.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
The Magnum 52, is that a 4-stroke ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Mike Bufkin

• Lieutenant
Fred,
There is a guy on facebook Jeff Traxler making carbon fiber props.

I can probably get his contact info for you if you like.

Mike

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Thanks guys
Ted, I fixed the spelting error....grin..... really should do a better proof reading job

Mr. Fancher sir, as long as I have you ear, what do you think of a 3 blade prop on the nose of Fancherized Twisters ? ( I am currently building up two from Sig kits)...I have not yet decided on power.  I have Evo 36s, OS LA .40s,  and OS LA .46s to choose from

Allan,  Randy Smith sold me his Balanced and blueprinted version of the 2 stroke Magnum .52 for my future SV-11 Arf

I got 3 blade prop recommendations from Randy and now you guys  much appreciate the assist

These three planes with 3 blade props will be my first time and need to do research on what size, and shape Aluminum spinners will look correct for each of these planes

Example:  I am not sure, having never seen one up close,  if a Needle Nose spinner would look goofy on a ARF Nobler 

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
NN spinner looks weird on a Nobler, IMO. Then again, an ARF Nobler can be kit-bashed into something else that would look cool with a NN spinner. 

My experience with CF props was not too good until I got re-pitching figured out. It had to be simple to use, and it is. So I wouldn't suggest going that direction unless you make the commitment and get a pitch gauge.

I'm a fan of Brian Eather and Resinger-Cox propellers. You're looking at $50-$60 per, which is a lot to pay for the esthetics of 3 blades, IMO. I always suggest finding a good 2-blade prop first. That way, you can get basic trim figured out without risking a high dollar prop. Likely, I'd find something from the APC, XOAR, Graupner, or Thunder Tiger lineup that would work quite well for a baseline. If your 3 blade doesn't work as well, you need to work on it.  H^^ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Fred,

You probably have the info you need but just FYI, I'm using a 3 blade MA 10x5 on an OS 46 LA powered Continental (56 in span). I have a three blade 9x6 and a 10x7 ready to try, but the 10x5 has been perfect for the plane. After I finish final trimming of the plane I may try the other props, but I'm very pleased with the MA 10x5.

Paul

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
I had the good fortune of spending a LOT of time with Bill Werwage last summer and was making him and Chris Rud a few props.I really enjoyed the whole process from making the mold to finished prop and wanted some smaller CF props for classic and smaller modern CLPA ships to have more ground clearance.I have 10x4,10x5,and 11x4 3 blades so far for glow.All of the plugs for these were made from commercially available props and were made under Billy's guidance.Trying to post pics but I have to resize them.......stay tuned!I also have 2 blade RevUp clones.I made a 10X4 out of a RU special series 3(My la25 loved the wood ones) and a 10X6EW the was nicely undercambered by Joe Gilbert.
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
If these take I'll post a couple more
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
Here are the 10x4 and 10x5

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
11x4 and 10x5EP

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
RevUp 10x6EW front and back shots.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.

Jeff,

On the three bladers, why do some have square tips and some round? The square tip jobbies look a lot like a Rev-Up blade to me.

Fred,

FWIW, I've had pretty good luck with the Master Airscrew three-bladers on the OS 40-46 engines. I know Dan plays the re-pitch game quite a bit but I've never done any of mine or even checked them. The old black Grish/Tornado 10-6's can work well too, if you can find them. Most spinners will also work without modification for these props too.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
Hi Wayne,The 10x4 was made with RU special series 3 blades.Billy told me the RevUp props were clones of the original Y&O,they just squared the tips.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Has any one dared to try the Hobby King Turnegy 10x5 3 wood and aluminum hub propeller blade yet?
Not sure I want to rick a good plane/ engine just to save a few bucks.... OTOH it is a good looking propeller

I only hesitated putting them in my cart becaus I loath HK buying of anything in the Global warehouse

Since I want these ONLY for aesthetic reasons, and NOT some tuning for competition flying; I think I will try the relatively inexpensive MAS route first.

I will take the advise to get each plane flying properly with good 2 blade props first.

Fortunately way back when I was planning these three planes I did the search here and then sourced a couple of each of the recommended props in the various sizes

APC
MAS
RSM
Taipan
Thunder Tiger Cyclon
Top Flite
Xoar

I am assuming ( based on Randy Smith web site pricing) that a Wilks, Smith, Traxler 3 blade solution are all great props but kinda pricey for my needs

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Hi Wayne,The 10x4 was made with RU special series 3 blades.Billy told me the RevUp props were clones of the original Y&O,they just squared the tips.

Thanks Jeff, these look interesting, I'll keep them in mind for the P-38 when I get it done.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Ah Well , Vanity Vanity . the picture came up when I put " Grish Tornado 3 blade prop " in G Pics .

These are the nice STIFF silver ( metalicish ) ones . Theres Floppy Grey , floppyish silver & Stiff Black Ones ALSO .
Only the Stiff Ones are my recomendation . A hidious polypropolene 11 x 4 had the ends almost 90 Deg. fwd. on a hot day on a 21/40 1  %^@ LL~

SO , our friend there's Carbon Copy should be somewhat usefull on the LA & FP . Particularly as you can fine tune the pitch with a heat gun .

The 9 x 6s dont compare . The 10 x 6 - 3 blade is ( was ) THE ST 46 Prop of champions .

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Re: Excuse the assault please ...I desire a three blade Prop recommendation
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 03:01:03 PM »
Just pushing this to the top so I don't have to spend 2 hours finding it again

next few weeks I plan to put the new SV11 ARF and Magnum 52 in service with the props Randy sent me...then experiment with the ridiculously cheap Turnengy 3 blade prop as well as a few Master Air Screw 3 blade props

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 04:32:31 PM »
You Asked For It .  S?P

Tried the 10 x 4 Tornado Grish on the FP 40 in the Yak, excellent going slow F2B , tilll it runnaway in the O Heads . >:(

Bolly 12 x 4 3 Bl on the Como & Magnum / FSR 40/45 . Good , un dressed Sq Tips Whistle .( on a Sig Magnumish . )

think Yatsenko lists fancy props now .

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 06:02:35 PM »
Fred- the os.46la is what I'd put on the Ted Twister. Might need a tongue muffler for proper balance and maybe a slight nose job (shortening, like Jennifer Lopez after "Anaconda", not stock like before that movie!).
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2019, 03:10:08 PM »
I ordered 2 of the 11-6 but did not have opportunity to test them till last night.  Workmanship on the props is excellent.  I ran mine on my Cobra 3520 up to full power for 20 seconds and the thing pulls like an Ox.  Absolutely no vibration and it makes a very pleasant whurr.  Flight tests ASAP but I am so far very impressed.  Also very light.  It appears at this point to outperform the Master Airscrew I have been using.
Only complaint I have is the size of the hub.  I had to do some trimming to fit a DuBro spinner.  CF and metal may be the only type that will fit without some trimming.  They are also thick making mounting on the Cobra difficult since their shaft is pretty short.  Alot of that is the overly thick DuBro backplate.
Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2019, 03:45:41 PM »
I tried a couple low pitch 3-blade CF props.  I followed the convention, 1" less diameter than a 2-blade.  I couldn't find any improvement over a 2-blade.  Also unable to hand-start a 3-blade, because it's too dangerous.  Granted, more ground  clearance, and looks "cool".  Other than that, I don't see the advantage.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2019, 04:14:27 PM »
I tried a couple low pitch 3-blade CF props.  I followed the convention, 1" less diameter than a 2-blade.  I couldn't find any improvement over a 2-blade.  Also unable to hand-start a 3-blade, because it's too dangerous.  Granted, more ground  clearance, and looks "cool".  Other than that, I don't see the advantage.
Don't ask me why because I have no clue but I get less battery drain on a three blade prop and better pull through corners.  Better, not massive.  It may be that electrics like them better than IC.  I have used them "back in the day" on IC when I needed clearance but I also do not remember much difference.
Everybody around here uses 3 and in some cases 4 bladed props on everything.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2019, 05:14:42 PM »
“Whatever works in a two blade minus 1 inch equals your three blade choice!”

Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 08:12:17 PM »
If it doesn't pull well in the overheads, pitch up the last 1" or 1.5" of each blade about 1/4" pitch.

I much prefer to use boiling water vs. a heat gun...you know that it won't be over 212*F from the tea kettle (ours is an induction unit by T-Fal). That, a 16 oz "Pounder" beer glass and the pitch gauge and I'm good. Easy to control how much of the blade gets heated, and how hot. I have not tried it on wood props, but I'm sure it'd work. It works on APC's. By the way, APC and MAS props are surprisingly easy to carve.  y1 Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 11:03:53 PM »
If you're on facebook get a hold of Tomasz Jadczak.  He's the guy you're looking for, for 3 blade props.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here