News:

• April 24, 2024, 02:11:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine most suitable for current stunt requirements  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Engine most suitable for current stunt requirements
« on: July 24, 2016, 09:06:12 AM »
Is an ABC or an AAC engine more suitable for present day stunt requirements?

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine most suitable for current stunt requirements
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 09:33:38 AM »

Either can work very well.  The AAC is obviously a little lighter and less common.

Engine choice depends on how serious you are and at what level you fly.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 10:05:13 AM »
.40-.50 in the middle.
.61-.75 up top.
Any configuration. Got to be quick starting, and VERY reliable-we operate close to the ground ALL the time.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:26:25 AM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 10:19:21 AM »
AAC vs. ABC is a minor detail compared to all the other things that matter more for a stunt run.

Read the pinned threads in the Engine Set Up Tips section -- there's a lot to learn in there.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 12:43:54 PM »
Absolutely AAC, preferrably integrated construction and of course with a Dykes ring ;). L

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 04:21:18 PM »
The vast supply of good used Fox 35s will last a very long time.

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 06:06:28 PM »

The newer AAC and ABC engines will cost more but they are better made with quality materials which will provide a lot of service if you take care of them and don`t crash them against a hard surface on a vertical dive. They are also light if specifically made for stunt with more power and a pretty good stunt run depending on your set up.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Juan

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 06:15:18 PM »
Absolutely AAC, preferrably integrated construction and of course with a Dykes ring ;). L

Please do not send him looking  for that non existent ,commercially  NOT available  stunt motor  !!!!!     LL~ LL~

Randy

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 07:39:44 PM »
Brodak 40.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 10:31:02 PM »
Brodak 40.
Bob, my limited experience with one B40 is that they're hard to crank. I've kind of shied away from them after one frustrating summer with the Brodak in our old arf Nobler. Wayne had a B40 in it that summer, but after he gave it to me I used my steel fp35. It had some minor cowl related heat problems leaning out during the V8 and staying lean to the end(which I kind of liked as a then low Int. pilot), so maybe that's all that was bugging Wayne's B40.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 11:50:15 PM »
Or..........you could just use one of these......... #^

Keith R

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 12:11:28 AM »
Bob, my limited experience with one B40 is that they're hard to crank. I've kind of shied away from them after one frustrating summer with the Brodak in our old arf Nobler. Wayne had a B40 in it that summer, but after he gave it to me I used my steel fp35. It had some minor cowl related heat problems leaning out during the V8 and staying lean to the end(which I kind of liked as a then low Int. pilot), so maybe that's all that was bugging Wayne's B40.
Rusty

That's been our experience, for inverted mounted B.40's. Upright or side-mounted, they're fine. For an inverted B.40, you really should just begin by turning the plane over on its back. Since most of us have bad knees, that works better anyway.  y1 Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 06:45:19 AM »

All of the really good current stunt engines (PA and RO-Jett) are AAC, but I wouldn't turn down an ABC or ABN that engine that ran well. The metallurgy is only a tiny part of the equation, the rest of the engine and the way it runs is determined by far more than what you make the cylinder out of. The 40VF is still the gold standard of stunt engines and it is ABN and lasts longer than anyone here will ever run one.

For reference, "current stunt requirements" for an IC engine are still a rear exhaust .40-.76 two-stroke with schneurle porting and AAC/ABC liner, tuned pipe exhaust, turning a carbon fiber prop of around 3.5-4.5" of pitch in the range of 9500-11500 in the air. Anything else is really not in play - other engines can be made to work with acceptable results and a lot of unnecessary effort, but piped engines are stiil the best and probably the last competitive IC engine system.

There will be many counter-opinions but those will be coming mostly from sport fliers and casual competitors, (and of course from manufacturer shills running astroturf ads as informational posts). That's not to say they are wrong for their particular application but is you are talking about competitive stunt in the year 2016, there is no real debate over what works best.

Brett

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 01:25:33 PM »
   All of the really good current stunt engines (PA and RO-Jett) are AAC, but I wouldn't turn down an ABC or ABN that engine that ran well. The metallurgy is only a tiny part of the equation, the rest of the engine and the way it runs is determined by far more than what you make the cylinder out of. The 40VF is still the gold standard of stunt engines and it is ABN and lasts longer than anyone here will ever run one.

For reference, "current stunt requirements" for an IC engine are still a rear exhaust .40-.76 two-stroke with schneurle porting and AAC/ABC liner, tuned pipe exhaust, turning a carbon fiber prop of around 3.5-4.5" of pitch in the range of 9500-11500 in the air. Anything else is really not in play - other engines can be made to work with acceptable results and a lot of unnecessary effort, but piped engines are stiil the best and probably the last competitive IC engine system.

There will be many counter-opinions but those will be coming mostly from sport fliers and casual competitors, (and of course from manufacturer shills running astroturf ads as informational posts). That's not to say they are wrong for their particular application but is you are talking about competitive stunt in the year 2016, there is no real debate over what works best.

Brett

Brett is of course absolutely right.  To prove what he said you need look no further than the current results for Stunt at the 2016 National Championships held a few days ago!   I wish someone could collect the full list of the Top 20 Aircraft and Engine Setups and publish it.

Top Five was 2 electrics, and Three PA 75's with pipes.  The overall Champ was David Fitzgerald with a PA75 and pipe.

I suspect eventually the electrics will catch up and perhaps even surpass the piped engines.  They are probably about as good as a good IC setup now...but then they've been saying that for about 5 years.   <= <= LL~ LL~ LL~

A lot of the success is of course still in keeping the "Nut on the handle" tight.   y1 y1

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 02:13:54 PM »

A lot of the success is of course still in keeping the "Nut on the handle" tight.   y1 y1
Randy Cuberly
Hahaha, damn Randy thanks, that must be what I've been neglecting to do.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 03:07:12 PM »

Brett

Basically what Brett is saying is that, if you want to whip some a@#, you need the PA 75. LL~
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 03:37:18 PM »
 Current (sic) reports show electrics also doing some "whipping".  Just because the present champ uses a PA on a pipe, doesn't mean one "must" do the same.  Try it, if you must.  But don't expect the magic you assume.

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 06:00:35 PM »
Current (sic) reports show electrics also doing some "whipping".  Just because the present champ uses a PA on a pipe, doesn't mean one "must" do the same.  Try it, if you must.  But don't expect the magic you assume.

F.C.

You can check my post about "the back and forth like F3A".
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 06:24:32 PM »
I'm holding out for one of those new Brodak 61's.

MM

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 07:34:37 PM »
Orestes just won the World with electric. Paul Walker won recent NATs flying electric. Electric is on par with the best of IC, in ways superior. David Fitzgerald flew better this year. Pilot. His piped engine powered up accurately where shape making most benefited. When the IC big blocks are working best, keyed to conditions, they appear to have more drive. Electric devotes will disagree. Perhaps the flick flick millisecond thrust changes enabled by the Igor System are blunted in their effects by the size (weight and aerodynamic drag) of serious CL Stunt War wagons. This years NATS made me think of airplanes as boats swimming in air. Steered through direction changes more softly than cars, for instance, stuck to to the road. Perhaps the millisecond changes enabled by electric power with computer enhancement will not dominate CL Stunt, after all. A friend said, however, that electric is now the sole power for serious RC Aerobatics.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 11:22:52 PM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 06:27:20 PM »
That's been our experience, for inverted mounted B.40's. Upright or side-mounted, they're fine. For an inverted B.40, you really should just begin by turning the plane over on its back. Since most of us have bad knees, that works better anyway.  y1 Steve 

And I thought I was the only one with really, really bad knees......really bad!    D>K    H^^

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 06:39:08 PM »
The OP didn't ask about motors. Just sayin'.  n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here