News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:48:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ear plugs  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ear plugs
« on: June 20, 2016, 01:17:15 PM »

I am losing more hearing every day, and what I have left I want to keep.  Where do you get your ear plugs, and are you satisified with them??

Thanks a lot

8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline big ron

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: ear plugs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 01:20:27 PM »
The loss of hearing can have its advantages
John Blanchard
Brusly, Louisiana
 AMA 1054488

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:47:10 PM »
The very best plugs to protect your ears (been using them for over 10 years now, never go back):
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 01:52:55 PM »
Any drug store has them. I have used "EAR" brand plugs. They are coarse yellow foam and will stand a lot of uses. The best ones I've found are the soft foam plugs like the ones that come on a lanyard. Individual plugs come in bags of 10 or more. They install best when cold and wet. I put them in the fridge for a few minutes, roll them into a small plug and wet them with water before sticking them all the way into the ear canal. It will take a minute for them to warm up and expand. They only last for two or three uses.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 01:53:43 PM »
You can get ear plugs at any drug store. I use protective ear muffs you can get from home depot because they are much easier to put on and off.

MM

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 03:50:11 PM »
Here is what I use,,
well ,, when I am pylon racing, my stunt plane doesnt make that much noise,,

https://www.zoro.com/howard-leight-by-honeywell-hearing-band-23db-pod-pr-qb3hyg/i/G3012782/

For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bob Matiska

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 04:35:11 PM »
The firearms section of any sporting goods store will have a variety of ear plugs or protectors. I use ear muffs when running an engine on the ground or when operating power equipment around the home. The foamy ear plugs work reasonably well, though never as good as the muffs, of course. In the Air Force, there were conditions where we had to use double ear protection, plugs and muffs, and I complied. I still have very good hearing, though I have trouble hearing the wife, for some reason...

Bob in NEPA
AMA 56267

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 05:52:13 PM »
I prefer a set of over the ear earmuffs.  They are easy to put on and take off.  I also like the silicone mushroom shaped plugs on a string.  Washable and reusable.  I bought a big box of the squishable foam plugs at Lowes that I have to offer to others.  They work well, but get gross easy so I tend to go through a couple sets in a day when those are all I have.   

(Earplugs also cause my wife to punch me once when our kid had colic, I remained somewhat sane at least... 4 hours of screaming... daily.  Turned out to be severe allergies, my wife had to eliminate dairy from her diet while breastfeeding.)

Phil

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 06:07:21 PM »
I buy ear muffs from Home Depot, Meijers and Grainger Supply.  As posted by Motorman, the foam plugs are too much trouble to put in & take out all the time.

For events that require helmets, you can get a hard hat with attached ear muffs at Grainger.  This is handy for combat & racing.
Paul Smith

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 06:47:51 PM »
I mostly use foam earplugs when trying to sleep in motels, campgrounds, or NYE. I didn't think I'd be able to sleep with them in, but manage to alright. I just bought another jar of them at the local everything store. Have a set or two of earmuffs for shooting and when running power equipment, and have dragged them down to the flying field, but found them to be pretty annoying...on & off, on & off, all day long, and have not found any good way to carry them with me.  D>K Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 07:11:26 PM »
Since my ear surgery I have started using ear muffs if I am going to be close to the engine while it is running.  It is strange to fly a plane and not hear it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 05:15:07 AM »
How come nobody said "what?"
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 12:23:17 PM »
At home I have a low cost set of MidwayUSA  shooting ear protectors..They are $29.99 electronic low profile version and they work very well removing the loud and still let me hear my wife caution about finger in the prop or dinner is ready

When I was playing Combat with loud big block unmuffled engines I used the simple yellow Army surplus Foam plugs and can usually hear the talk in the pit/starting line but remove the damaging high Db freaquencies

It is decades ago but I think I got a gross (144 sets) for $12 something...still have about 30 sets
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »

To Big Ron, Ty, and Perry, I knew that my "friends" would hit me with both barrels, and to the rest of the fellows, thanks a lot, back to Ty, and Big Ron are we gonna see y'all in Oct at the Bi-Liners stunt gathering?  Sure do hope so...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 02:13:10 PM »

In retrospect I should have asked for ear MUFF'S that go behind your head, instead of over your head as I need to be able to wear a hat in the sun, gotta keep the skin cancer down as much as possible.
 So with this change I need your other suggestions, and again THANKS... y1 #^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 02:29:35 PM »
PM sent

Norm

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 04:30:45 PM »
While playing in rock and roll bands in the eighties, I used Norton ear valves. They were the protector of choice for Olympic shooters. They have little valves fitted inside silicon inserts that go in your ears like the current round of ear plugs. However, they are valves that responds to high sound pressures so normal conversation is not hampered. Back then, with hair that grew down over my ears, nobody knew that I was saving my ears from the ravages of the lead guitar—until they saw me inserting them one night before a show.

The ones that I have is no longer available but there are still similar devices. Just ask Google about ear valves.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here