News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:27:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dremel tool dropped now shaft off center  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Dremel tool dropped now shaft off center
« on: May 20, 2016, 01:00:39 PM »
Guys,
While moving things around on the build board I swept the Dremel tool off and it hit the floor more or less on the bit end. This resulted in the shaft moving off center wobbling when turned on. I pushed the end a bit and got it almost in alignment but its still not quite right. Anyone have this happen and has a fix (other than buy a new one)? There are a several bolts in the housing but thought before I started to pull it apart I would see if anyone had a simpler approach. Funny thing is if you push the speed way up it smooth's right out.

Best,      DennisT

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Dremel tool dropped now shaft off center
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:12:42 PM »
If it is like mine, the front bearing is a bushing and it can get out of place.  Pull the front off and see what you have.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 01:32:23 PM »
Guys,
While moving things around on the build board I swept the Dremel tool off and it hit the floor more or less on the bit end. This resulted in the shaft moving off center wobbling when turned on. I pushed the end a bit and got it almost in alignment but its still not quite right. Anyone have this happen and has a fix (other than buy a new one)? There are a several bolts in the housing but thought before I started to pull it apart I would see if anyone had a simpler approach. Funny thing is if you push the speed way up it smooth's right out.

Best,      DennisT

Hi Dennis   call me   678 407 9376

Randy

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 01:36:07 PM »
I'd try a different collet and accessory first, but if that didn't do it, I'd take it apart.

FWIW, I had the bearings go out on two BB Dremels, so the last one I bought was a sleeve bearing. Works fine. Actually, with all the dust ours are subjected to, I think sleeve bearings are a better choice.

I have an old Skill 3/8" 'lectric drill that dates from the '70's. It ran for a couple of days in Oct. '81, running the ODO back on my '81 Mazda so it was back on warranty. When driven in reverse, the ODO showed fewer miles, an oversight on Mazda's part. Just after warranty expired, I noticed the transaxle output seals were leaking. Anyway, the Skill drill bearings started squawking (twice), so I took the drill apart and oiled the bearings a couple of times during the weekend. It's still my #1 corded drill, tho I recently bought an 18v. Makita. The Makita purchase was only because I wanted to use the battery pack to run my Sullivan starter. The price of the battery and charger just made it a better deal when buying the whole kit.  :) Steve   
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 01:58:46 PM »
I toasted the front bearing on a newer 8020 cordless while using diamond cut off wheel in ceramic tile with water cooling

Could not get the bearing off the shaft...when looking for the bearing Dremel had the entire motor assy and bearing for only $14.95

easy replace

My older corded 395 Dremel has a shot front bearing and no replacement available so I may send it in for the low cost refurbish unit in return
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags: tools 

Advertise Here