News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:44:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Doolittle Raiders  (Read 1305 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Doolittle Raiders
« on: April 17, 2017, 08:46:20 PM »

Remembering the 75th Anniversary, April 18th 1942, a (final) toast to the Raiders...

http://commemorativeairforce.org/rss/625-the-last-silver-goblet

Never forget.

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Doolittle Raiders
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 09:28:43 PM »
WOW! Thanks for posting this.  Those were really hard times faced by real men!   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 09:44:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dolittle+tokyo+b25+raid

30 seconds over tokyo has a lot of this footage in it , I think . A bit dramatised / of the track etc .  Actual Film on link above .

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »
In 1994 I attended the Doolittle reunion that was held in Fresno, CA. It was a moving experience to meet them, talk and listen to them tell their stories. One inpaticular, the Chinese farmer who harbored on of the crews. He was brought to the Us after the war as a 'thank you' from the crew he saved. I asked him how he could do that knowing he and his family were at very high risk. He simply smiled a small smile and said "I felt it was something I had to do". He was quite a guy. They flew from Fresno over to the coast and flew over Doolittle home. Quite an event.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 05:14:30 PM »
 ... and the 242nd anniversary of Paul Revere's ride -- a man from the same mold.

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:06:08 AM »
Thank you Wayne for the post.
Several years ago, we attended one of the Doolittle Raiders Reunion at the NMUSAF in Dayton, Ohio
Prior to the 'Big Event', they were practicing flying in formation at Grimes Field.
There is also a restoration of a B-17 underway.
One of the 'donor' B-17 planes has the wing covering displayed on the wall with the signature of the wing assembly crew.
After a day at Grimes,talking to crews and visiting all the B-25's I could get to, we made our way back to the NMUSAF.
Found a rear parking lot at an Elementary School where the 17 B-25's were to pass by on final to the museum.
Took many vids & pics fer sure. Once assembled on the tarmac, the public was able to view each aircraft up close and talk with their crew.
At that time,five of the original Doolittle Raiders were present. One had to leave that evening, but the next day I was able to thank each one of the four remaining members and get their autograph. That afternoon a showing of the movie was viewed and the evening festivities included a concert by the USAF Band playing music from that era. AWESOME!!!
The following morning, a Memorial Service was held and the 17 B-25's flew over in formation.
What a sight!  What a sound!  What a mission!  What a Country!!
Words can not express my deepest gratitude for these brave men.
Many thanks to all Veterans and those who are currently serving our Country and keeping us free.
May God Bless each and every one of you.
"Tight Lines!"
Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 08:26:52 AM »
Here at the MCRC, we have an annual event called the "Dick Coles fly-in"....I thought it was the same Dick Cole, but was corrected...Cole vs. Coles. Then about two years ago I was standing around a hobby shop in Sarasota and the REAL Dick Cole visited! A true honor!

A bunch of the flying B-25's were rehabbed in Kissimmee....they had wooden wing rib and bulkhead molds that they hammered aluminum over to replicate stamped parts.....

Have fun!

Offline Richard Logston

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 11:34:43 AM »
My next door neighbor's Dad ( C.Campbell) was the navigator on #13. He showed me part of his parachute, blood chit, a  letter from Chiang Kaishek  praising their efforts, several medals etc. My neighbor attends many of these reunions and has actually visited Doolittle at his home. Richard

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here