News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:00:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Diamond brush on finish  (Read 1090 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Diamond brush on finish
« on: May 24, 2017, 11:08:53 AM »
A couple years ago there were many comments about DIAMOND clear brush on finish as "the answer" to dope or auto clear finish.
How is the stuff holding up?
I ask, because I have been fooling with the paint on my motorbike, (I removed a DEEP scratch in the front fender from a friend rolling back into/onto it) and may wet sand a couple other areas that have been beaten up. It's a Honda, so it's plastic......metallic paint with clear coat. The clear coat seems durable, but I must sand through with 1500 grit paper.
Seems to me that this might be a good application?

Thanks

Have fun!

Online Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Re: Diamond brush on finish
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:31:04 AM »
Rich...I was real intimidated to use the stuff cuz a few I respect here said it was crap product.... too late, I spent my bucks... on two kits of the lower cost sample 4oz cans   (still a bit pricey)

BUT since I had it--- and I am NOT a competition pilot or builder...and do NOT create  even 12 point finishes I decided to try the stuff

Sorry no photos---- but I followed the instructions and it sprayed right out of the can as thin enough for my el-chepo HF 4 oz finish gun at 25lbs of air ----and made a nice good leveled out clear finish that I let set for a week before abusing with 25% N

That was two years ago...I never spill raw fuel...the Diamond went over mostly Rattle can Rustoleum that was wet sanded...nice and shinny and still no deterioration of the tank and nose nose of my profiles it is on

I was happy enough that when they had a sale on the rattle can version ( a lot more product and cheaper than the 4oz samples) I bought two cans...unused right now....but I like the product
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:02:10 PM »
You will get very polarized answers with this product.  Love or hate. 

I would never, ever, put it on a airplane ever again for any reason.  In my case, it crinkled up the instant that raw fuel touched it.  Made an awful mess of a nicely finished airplane.

So there you have it,  one positive, glowing review and a scathing negative review.

Caveat Emptor!
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 07:13:18 PM »
Rich I have been using the KBS Diamond finish since they came out with it and have had absolutely zero problems with it.  I use it mostly over Rustoleum. I think they have come out with spray cans now but I always used it out of a can and brushed it on with a foam brush.  It is fuel proof also.

Mike

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 07:48:08 PM »
I also have used on some model and brushed it on with a  foam brush with no problems

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here