News:

• April 23, 2024, 02:42:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: December Model Aviation  (Read 13614 times)

Jim Roselle

• Trade Count: (0)
December Model Aviation
« on: November 30, 2015, 05:19:02 PM »
I hate to beat a dead horse but here we go...

I save all my Model Aviation mags to leave in my dermatologist waiting room every six months, maybe it will spark someone's interest. 

This months quad copter fest is going straight in the trash. I'm not a multi rotor hater but come on...

It's supposed to be about model airplanes.

Jim

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: December Model Aviation
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 05:52:50 PM »
I hate to beat a dead horse but here we go...

I save all my Model Aviation mags to leave in my dermatologist waiting room every six months, maybe it will spark someone's interest. 

This months quad copter fest is going straight in the trash. I'm not a multi rotor hater but come on...

It's supposed to be about model airplanes.

Jim

Jim, actually I am glad you posted about this.  I started to but didn't because of "the dead horse" syndrome you just referred to.  I just thumbed through it, laughed, and threw it directly in the trash.  It has gotten beyond ridiculous.

Mike

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 06:10:02 PM »
Ahh, yes....the Quadcopter Monthly.  Rec'd it today, and nearly asked for a refund of dues.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 06:24:51 PM »
Ahh, yes....the Quadcopter Monthly.  Rec'd it today, and nearly asked for a refund of dues.

Won't be any refund necessary here, there not going to get it from me in the first place anymore. They made the choice. :(

That reminds me, I need to get my Stunt News dues sent in. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Jim Roselle

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 06:34:31 PM »
Jim, actually I am glad you posted about this.  I started to but didn't because of "the dead horse" syndrome you just referred to.  I just thumbed through it, laughed, and threw it directly in the trash.  It has gotten beyond ridiculous.

Mike

There have been quads in the magazine  for years now. It's to be expected as they are part of the hobby; but this months issue is a quad copter magazine with a sprinkling of model airplanes.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 06:41:12 PM »
There have been quads in the magazine  for years now. It's to be expected as they are part of the hobby; but this months issue is a quad copter magazine with a sprinkling of model airplanes.

It's that money hungry evolution of the AMA that was the final straw for me. The ARF generation and such have been hard enough to take over the years but at least they're still airplanes.

I didn't want to make the decision to quit the organization, the AMA did it for me. D>K

Wayne Willey

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 07:19:04 PM »
The loss of a handful of CL (and/or) FF modelers won't affect the Academy of Multirotors & ARFs at all.  In fact, they'll probably be glad we're gone.  Now they'll be free to push their ever-expanding coverage of Quadcopters and other crap which has nothing whatsover to do with real model airplanes.

The only reason I re-upped with them is to watch the coming implosion.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 07:29:13 PM »
In his column the Prez notes that AMA numbers have to be either in or on the plane, something that the leadership of the AMA says  has been established for years!  I TOOK THE MAGAZINE, PAGE BY PAGE and found less than 10 models presented that had their AMA # on the wing as required.  The multiple ARF's that were pictured by manufactures/importers showed only 1 or 2 and that more than likely is because the pictures were taken in China.  BTW don't the helicopters have to have their #'s showing? What a mess!
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 07:32:54 PM »
Hey Mike, now if they could just come up with a foamie quad copter to push, the organization will be complete.

Mike

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 07:40:04 PM »
As has been said, I wouldn't re-up if I didn't need the piece of plastic to compete at contests.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 08:00:42 PM »
Takes me back to when I no longer renewed Model Airplane News because it was all RC....
G
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 08:12:52 PM »
The loss of a handful of CL (and/or) FF modelers won't affect the Academy of Multirotors & ARFs at all.  In fact, they'll probably be glad we're gone.  

Agreed, and it's just another reason the whole situation sucks. For me the AMA's promotion of the quadcopter revolution was just the last straw. It's probably just me being honest with myself by sticking to my beliefs about our hobby and retaining some personal pride and values more than anything, something that there's just not enough of anymore. It's a shame, but the AMA has become just another business whore.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:29:31 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 08:58:26 PM »
I do not compete anymore. Decembers issue was my last.  I am sure they won't miss my dues.  

Mike

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 09:03:38 PM »
i use to leave MA at the doctors too. after a while they were all gone. I wonder what happened to them. Did the doc throw them out, did someone take them home? no closure on that one.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 12:15:19 AM »
As has been said, I wouldn't re-up if I didn't need the piece of plastic to compete at contests.

Yup, same here. If there was any other insurance option for contests, they'd never get another dime.

And to think that at one time, as a kid, I was so proud of my AMA membership. Showed my card to all who would look.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 02:54:12 AM »
I have switched from paper to digital version for 2016.  Easier to hit the delete button than haul them to the recycle.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 03:52:52 AM »
Comon guys get over it. Quads are the Ringmaster of the 20teens, best you can do is quit fretting over it and accept that fact. The December issue is for Christmas and what did you expect, thousands of quads will be under Christmas trees and the AMA and it's advertisers are simply catering to where the money will be spent. If you were in business you would do the same thing or go broke.

If it wasn't for ARF's and quads Tower and many of the other companies we buy from wouldn't exist and AMA would have gone broke years ago. CL and model airplane building will die with us. Best we can do for our own well being is simply accept that fact and quit fretting over something we can't change.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 05:36:35 AM »
Bob:

What you say is true.  However, AMA is a member-based organization, not a business.  They have corrupted themselves by making the chasing of money their #1 priority rather than what they claim: supporting their members.  They were never in danger of going out of business by being a member supporting business.  They are in danger when they forget their reason for existence: their members.  You can bet there's a bunch of RCers not happy with the present situation either; although, I suppose, a lot of them have drank the cool-aid....

Scott

Offline john ohnimus

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 05:36:45 AM »
This could be something to think about as a group collectively...

"Park Pilot membership is for aircraft 2 pounds or less that fly below 60 mph and does not include voting rights or
competitive priviledges. Park Pilot membership insurance benefits are limited to $500,000 of liability coverage."

If we could somehow lobby to get control line included into this catagory for folks that dont fly competively. Or a new catgory for just control line so that we can keep the insurance for contests.

Just a thoght...

Tony O
Hard Tellin'....  Not Knowin'

AMA 413710

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 06:10:37 AM »
Bob:

What you say is true.  However, AMA is a member-based organization, not a business.  They have corrupted themselves by making the chasing of money their #1 priority rather than what they claim: supporting their members.  They were never in danger of going out of business by being a member supporting business.  They are in danger when they forget their reason for existence: their members.  You can bet there's a bunch of RCers not happy with the present situation either; although, I suppose, a lot of them have drank the cool-aid....

Scott

AMA may not be a business but it's existence depends on memberships. I don't have numbers but would bet money the existing "model builders" (both RC and CL) could not support the AMA. It needs quad and ARF buyers to stay in business.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 06:22:20 AM »
What does the Canadians have for an organization? They can compete here on their card could we leave the AMA, join their group and continue to compete here?javascript:void(0) You southerners would have to stop saying y'all and replace it with eh.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 07:16:42 AM »
Sorry Bob, not trying to insult you, but I disagree.  You have simply presented their rationality for what they are doing.  And it is simply not true.

Of course the current numbers of "builders" could support an organization!  It would obviously be a different organization, but it would be an organization true to its purpose.  And it may be smaller.  By the way, there are many small organizations that survive.  Yes, it is a challenge, but staying true to your purpose is always a challenge.  AMA walked away from "building" a long time ago.  It also walked away from its educational role (Academy??) a long time ago.  But it doesn't take a lot of wit to notice that "building" has had a resurgence (the whole "maker" movement).  And education?  There is everything from the focus on STEM to home-schooling!  There is tremendous opportunity in the "builder/maker" field and in the educational field.  One page in the back of the magazine is not a serious effort.

One needs to understand that for model airplanes the fun is in the flying, but the benefit is in the building.  AMA ran with "fun".  Sort of like the fat guy too lazy to do his exercise because it was "too hard."  It is always easier to sit down and eat your banana-cream  pie than it is to do your push-ups.  "Easier" is not better!  "Easier" is signing unto the whole ARF/Quadcopter/FPV thing and not realizing it is banana-cream pie.  If AMA would have done their push-ups years ago and run with building and education we would all be in a very different place.  The fact that they don't doesn't mean it can't be done.  The fact that they don't seem to know how, doesn't mean it is un-knowable.  It is still not too late!  But they've got to stop digging their hole (or push away from the table)!

Scott

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 07:41:21 AM »
I agree. They have to stop going after the multi rotor pilots.
The multi rotor pilots really have no reason to join AMA anyway, and I don't think AMA will benefit from what they are trying to do.
They will find out the hard way when they start paying out big in drone incidents.
That's my prediction.
R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 08:11:29 AM »
There's a nice CL scale write up in the back by Fred Cronnenwett (sp?). The FF column was good. That's about all i cared about. Seems to be the way it is now

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
What does the Canadians have for an organization? They can compete here on their card could we leave the AMA, join their group and continue to compete here?javascript:void(0) You southerners would have to stop saying y'all and replace it with eh.
Model Aeronautics Association of Canada, a multi disciplinary group where interest groups have their own subcommittees and the Association looks after National issues.
We have strong interest Chairs for Control line and CLPA, so enjoy monthly information.
I believe there is a reciprocal agreement with AMA. We accept your members insurance as you accept ours, not sure if that extends to memberships.       .......but I am sure someone will correct me if I err in translation.
G
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 11:50:37 AM »
  My, but our  AMA prez.  is soooooooo silly; dressing like Santa with a drone in his stocking ! LL~

Offline Mark Knoepfle

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 01:17:03 PM »

I like this idea, eh. If you are a current AMA member you could join MAAC for $60 US ($80 Canadian) a year. If you are not an AMA member then I think you have to have a Canadian residence. Now a bunch y'all... I mean eh, let's go join MAAC.

Unfortunately it does not look like there is any great savings to be had going this route but it would be fun.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 06:19:47 PM »
Bob:

Scott

Well put Scott. The AMA stopped giving a crap about the members and modeling interests long ago, it's ALL about the dollars anymore.  y1

I never thought about it until right now but I would almost bet that annually they make more off of advertising in their rag than they do from membership dues. Someone else must have noticed that too, hence their jacking the membership rates.

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 06:40:42 PM »
I just wonder how many of the owners of the so called drones even know about the AMA? ???
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 06:53:29 PM »
I don't really care what the AMA prints between its magazine covers.  I only read it if there is a C/L article (seldom).

I pay my dues only because it is required.  Our flying field requires AMA.  Also any contest I enter requires it.

It's just that simple.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 07:01:29 PM »
It seems that the only interest most CL folks have with the AMA is insurance. Why is everyone so hung up about insurance? Has no one ever done anything more risky than toy airplanes and lived to tell the tale? I raced motocross for 28 years and never had any insurance except my own. How can motocross tracks and drag strips and such possibly stay in business without the scary lawyer type folks suing them out of existence? Simply by signing a waiver to get in. Assumed risk. Scared? Stay home. Why couldn't this work for airplanes? Don't most folks have their own insurance? I never could quite understand this...

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 08:06:29 PM »
It seems that the only interest most CL folks have with the AMA is insurance. Why is everyone so hung up about insurance? Has no one ever done anything more risky than toy airplanes and lived to tell the tale? I raced motocross for 28 years and never had any insurance except my own. How can motocross tracks and drag strips and such possibly stay in business without the scary lawyer type folks suing them out of existence? Simply by signing a waiver to get in. Assumed risk. Scared? Stay home. Why couldn't this work for airplanes? Don't most folks have their own insurance? I never could quite understand this...

It's required at most airfields to possess an AMA card. Also, it's required at all contests. It's not about being too risky to play with airplanes, but if you wanna compete it's a requirement.

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 08:07:41 PM »
I live in second biggest town in Michigan. how many control line kits do you think they sold this year. how many last year. how long do you think the one kit the hobby shop has will set on the shelf. CL is a very small fish in a big pond. I my self will be gald that all the haters are gone. Just get out and say no more. We will not know your gone.

it was 0 and 1 and ?

Steve

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »
It's required at most airfields to possess an AMA card. Also, it's required at all contests. It's not about being too risky to play with airplanes, but if you wanna compete it's a requirement.
I know this. I have one. I just don't know why... 

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 08:49:12 PM »
I know this. I have one. I just don't know why... 

You got me there. I actively and frequently compete. But on the positive side, they still have some neat services. I called a couple times and they found me plans that i could not otherwise locate. They're a good network to get contact info for people who you wouldn't get to meet.
 There's a lot of things AMA does i may not agree with. But i try and use their network for info as often as possible.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 09:14:01 PM »
I was reading the Mag last night and at first I felt a bit of anger at the constant hammering of ads for quad copters and the continuous support shown in the articles and columns by the AMA leadership.  Then suddenly, I suppose because I've had a long time association with another AMA, The American Motorcycle Association, I began to see some humor in the entire situation.  I thought; What if the AMA (motorcycle AMA) suddenly began filling their publication and columns with 4 Wheel Drive Trucks!!!  Hey it's just about the same thing!  I couldn't keep a straight face after that and finally wound up laughing out loud and tossing the mag in the trash can.  These people in the AMA (modeling association) are "clowns" only concerned with following "The Money"...They are not worthy of comment except laughter!!!   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
I suppose I'll go on paying my dues so I can compete in Stunt, but when that stops so will my membership!  At least I can still laugh about the Clowns!
I doubt that I will ever pick up the mag again!  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 09:42:42 PM »
I live in second biggest town in Michigan. how many control line kits do you think they sold this year. how many last year. how long do you think the one kit the hobby shop has will set on the shelf. CL is a very small fish in a big pond. I my self will be gald that all the haters are gone. Just get out and say no more. We will not know your gone.

it was 0 and 1 and ?

Steve

Mr Hines,
Except for 18 months in Vietnam and a subsequent year in Tripler Army Hospital in Hawaii, I have been an AMA member and competed since 1951.  I truly believe that gives me a small right to complain about what the current leadership in AMA has done to an organization in which I've invested dues for all those years, without being called a "hater" by a "newby twit" like you.  Ever heard of the 1st Amendment?  Complaining about what leadership does in any organization is a right and can actually foster change sometimes!  Probably not in this case because the twits in the AMA are simply sitting on their hands and watching the money roll in.  However I will continue to let them know that I know what they are doing and give them a big raspberry whenever possible.  Doesn't make me a "hater" just a concerned citizen who has to keep feeding their "Fat Asxxs" in order to compete in CL Stunt.  I don't have to like what they are doing however!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 11:08:02 PM »
The funny thing about those wanting to join the MAAC is that most or all of the Canadian contests use AMA rules. This means that they have no say in the rules changes. Yes, some contests back in Montreal use FAI rules, but that's probably just the French influence. Y'all.  LL~

The really sad thing is that AMA insurance is only secondary insurance, meaning they open their wallet only after your homeowners or renters insurance has been maxed out. The limit is a lot higher, however.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2015, 11:24:41 PM »
Randy, newby. 1969 was the first time I flew CL. AMA 1975. I may be twit, but unlike you I'm not a angry old white man that likes to set around and bitch, and dream about the good old days.

Steve

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2015, 08:14:25 AM »
The funny thing about those wanting to join the MAAC is that most or all of the Canadian contests use AMA rules. This means that they have no say in the rules changes. Yes, some contests back in Montreal use FAI rules, but that's probably just the French influence. Y'all.  LL~

The really sad thing is that AMA insurance is only secondary insurance, meaning they open their wallet only after your homeowners or renters insurance has been maxed out. The limit is a lot higher, however.  D>K Steve

Hello Steve,

I thought a few years back the Canadians adopted their own set of rules.  AMA scoring, 7 min time limit, no BOM.    Am I mistaken??

Using AMA scoring doesn’t mean they can’t alter it anyway they see fit if they are in fact running it through their own org. It just means they adopted the snapshot of the AMA scoring system at that time when they setup the rules for their competitions.  But their org is not beholden to the AMA RB.

Didnt mean to get off the once a month beat up on the ama track. Sorry guys..just curious...carry on..

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 08:34:41 AM »
has anyone noticed the economy lately?
maybe that things are not good for business and individuals?
did you ever think maybe the motivation for the AMA to "follow the money" is to stay solvent?
to survive?
I am not a fan of qaudrotors, but i fly RC and fly ARF Rc,, because I use my time to build my stunt stuff, and my pylon race stuff, but I enjoy flying my ARFs because there is not emotional investment. I dont see that AMA is doing anything out of line, they are trying to stay ahead of the curve with consumer interest, but I really think its almost more about surviving,, my 2 cents worth
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2015, 08:59:59 AM »
The way things stand currently, if you are going to compete, you don't have much of a choice except to belong to AMA, kind of a necessary evil.  That does not mean you have to like it and one certainly has the right to voice their dissatisfaction about it just as those who like drones and the way AMA operates have the right to show their support of the organization .  I belong to that group that no longer competes and just builds and flies when they get the chance just for the fun of it and happen to think that AMA has morphed into a money grubbing organization that does not have the true model plane enthusiasts best interests at heart.  Strictly my opinion and you know what they say about opinions and whether you like or dislike AMA is an individual's prerogative .

However, when I start to see words like "haters" and "angry old white men" directed towards respected members of our community thrown around on this forum, I have to wonder and question the mental process behind those kind of statements and the character of those who resort to name calling when they cannot compete in the arena of ideas without having to sink to those kind of tactics.

This is a control line forum, if you want to bash control line in general and the people who fly control line models,  I have to wonder why are you participating in this forum at all?

As Radar on MASH used to say, "that is all"

Mike Griffin - angry old white man
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:20:53 AM by Mike Griffin »

Jim Roselle

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 09:11:53 AM »

it was 0 and 1 and ?

Steve

It's not the lack of control line coverage that bothers me. We're  a very small fish in a big pond, I get that. I have nothing against multi rotors, they look fun. I'll probably own one and enjoy flying it one day. It's the complete lack of modeling features in a magazine that is called "model aviation" that gets me.  I understand building model airplanes from scratch or even a kit is a dying art. I also understand that the AMA is perfectly content to let it die. It is not an organization that promotes and protects the interest of the members that it represents, that's a role it plays for it's advertisers.

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 09:25:12 AM »
Jim you make a good point and most of us get it.   There are just a few who don't.  You stated your point very well.

Mike aka "angry old white man"

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 10:44:51 AM »
Well I haven't been an AMA member as long as one of the kids I looked up to, Randy C. and Walter W. of the Flying Eagles of KCK.  I signed up in 56 and competed with an engine that people said didn't exist at the time.   Have never let my membership lapse in all that time.  I figure these so called drones are another fad that will die or slow down in time like CB radios.   But I wonder what the die hards said when CL said when CL was starting and then the advent of the glow plug.   And to think my first plane was a ready to fly A-J Firebaby.  By the way I graduated in 60 and was not in high school yet, so it had to be my first contest in 56.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2015, 11:25:52 AM »

However, when I start to see words like "haters" and "angry old white men" directed towards respected members of our community thrown around on this forum, I have to wonder and question the mental process behind those kind of statements and the character of those who resort to name calling when they cannot compete in the arena of ideas without having to sink to those kind of tactics.

Mike Griffin - angry old white man

Well, you can expect that to be thrown around after a while when there are at least several threads a month, maybe even a week, that are all about bashing MA and the direction of the AMA.  It's the same old same old thing every single time.

"I never read MA I just throw it out."
"MA sucks."
"No one builds anymore."
"Quads are going to kill the AMA."
"Qauds are a money grab and they dont care about us."

And on and on and on and on.....  And you wonder why people throw around the grumpy old men tag.  You even put it in your
signature.  Then in the very next breath some will say, now how are we going to get the younger crowd interested again in CL....really?? 

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2015, 01:01:32 PM »
Well said Doug

My modeling interest is not adversely impacted by anything the AMA does or does not do when taken in context of the 41 years I have been an on and off member

You should have heard the older Amateur Radio Operators (HAMs) squeal when the FCC proposed to drop the Morse Code requirement from the Tech and General license.....ten years later the sky did not fall, no one seriously quit the hobby, and the airways did not get supper polluted with LIDs (licensed idiots) causing any more interference than was already the norm.

Right over my shoulder I have RC planes, cars, boats and a few of the easy to fly helicopters all in the same area as my foam and or balsa control line planes...I quit the only club near me (45 miles) because the grumpy old men there ran off dozens of young curious potential members with their constant drone about this or that (mostly an anti electric and 3D hatred). These same guys are in wonderment why there used to be over a hundred members with a crowded flying field every weekend to 27 now and "no one to go fly with"

KD5NCO No Code General and refuse to be ashamed that I did not want to memorize Morse Code or use a Mode (CW) that I am not interested in... I enjoy all my hobbies, try hard to foster the interest in my younger family members and friends

As a parting thought, because I flew an ultra lite airplane I owned and I used to be a Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) member.  They (EAA) seems to do a better job of promoting aviation to youth than any AMA effort.... On the other hand there are TOO many examples of our own that actively support youth group model building and flying.... Captain Black Hawk comes to mind... That the AMA should actively support
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:40:57 PM by Fredvon4 »
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2015, 03:19:59 PM »
I am through commenting on AMA.  They are a non entity to me to the way I participate in flying. 

Mike

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2015, 03:49:21 PM »
I am on the road right now and do not have my mag at my disposal, but I did notice an ad in the current MA for battteries I believe, stating "we weren't here at the beginning (of model aviation sic) but we will be here at the end". I find this slogan somewhat ironic...
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Jim Roselle

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2015, 05:29:47 PM »
No matter what your opinion on the AMA as an organization maybe we can all agree that they put out a lousy MODEL AIRPLANE magazine.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here