News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:03:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: December 7, 1941 Pearl Harbor  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
December 7, 1941 Pearl Harbor
« on: December 07, 2016, 05:31:38 PM »
I'm surprised that nobody has posted about this date (which shall live in infamy), so I thought I would. I put my US flag up this morning, but it's almost dark, so I went back out in the freezing cold and took it down again. The least I could do.  :'( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: December 7, 1941 Pearl Harbor
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 05:52:42 PM »
I'm surprised that nobody has posted about this date (which shall live in infamy), so I thought I would. I put my US flag up this morning, but it's almost dark, so I went back out in the freezing cold and took it down again. The least I could do.  :'( Steve
the 75th anniversary if i recall correctly
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 05:53:02 PM »
My flag is UP 24/7 and will stay up till I die !!!
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 06:20:16 PM »
Today I asked my father-in-law, now a 90 year old disabled WWII Vet, to describe where he was and what he remembers. Like most people who lived through it he remembers exactly the circumstances of hearing about the attack on Pearl Harbor. What he remembers most is the solemn expression on his own father's face. "I knew this was coming," he said. My father in law enlisted as soon as he was old enough to get in.

My own dad was already an Army Air Corps pilot by December 7, 1941. He is long gone now but of course had vivid memories. The Army sent his unit to Alaska when the Japanese invaded and he spent the war years in the frozen north. Luckily for me, who probably would not be here if Dad had seen the combat he wanted.

The aircraft carrier Hornet is a floating museum here in Alameda, at the former Naval Air Station, and is a central component of Alameda life and culture. Many events are hosted there, there is an aircraft museum on the flight deck and in the hanger bays, and one can get a good idea of the life of WWII sailors. There was a special program with WWII vets speaking today, including a double-ace who shot down both Japanese and German aircraft. The traditions of Naval Aviation are strong here. Doolittle's Raiders sailed out of Alameda under cover of darkness in early 1942 on their way to Tokyo.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
My Dad was a Navy MMC ( Chief Machinist Mate) on Destroyers. He was in the Navy from 37 till 46 He didn't talk to much about his time but was in the Atlantic and saw a lot of unwanted action .. lol  I have a lot of respect for thows who served as I did 68-72 I think there should be a U.S. Flag on every house !!!
Leester
ama 830538

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 07:26:13 PM »
    I just sat down at the computer to check in here for the first time today. Been busy since early morning job hunting. The significance of the day was not lost on me and has been on my mind for a few days after watching some specials on History Chanel regarding the event over the weekend. I find it very sobering that we are coming to a time very shortly when there will be no Pearl Harbor Survivors, and then no WW-2 Survivors or Veterans. These people were truly the Greatest Generation. It probably a good thing that a sneak attack like that doesn't happen now, or with the way things are run, a resulting war would last for decades. Wait a minute! We have been through a sneak attack like that with major loss of life and severe damage, and the resulting war HAS been going on for more than a decade! Back then we pushed and worked for an overwhelming defeat of an enemy and ideology that was different than ours and and that was accomplished in 5 years. What's it gonna take in this day and age???
     God Bless 'Em All! The Greatest Generation!
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 09:28:27 PM »
My recollection of flag protocol is that the flag goes up at dawn and down at dusk, unless it is illuminated after dark. I seem to think that it wasn't supposed to be flown in inclement weather, but I couldn't find that quickly online. I remember watching the flag lowering ceremony multiple times when I was about 10-11 years old, while we lived at Maxwell AFB. That's why I take ours down at dusk. Well, that and the chance of snow tonight. It's also why I bought the nice nylon flag made in the USA...dries quickly, hanging from the beam across the garage. 

During about that time period, I remember the passing of the last Civil War veteran, which now boggles my mind.   

Dad went into the USAAC in '35 and retired from the USAF in '61. A big thank you to all US and Allied Veterans, past and present.   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 05:43:37 AM »
    I just sat down at the computer to check in here for the first time today. Been busy since early morning job hunting. The significance of the day was not lost on me and has been on my mind for a few days after watching some specials on History Chanel regarding the event over the weekend. I find it very sobering that we are coming to a time very shortly when there will be no Pearl Harbor Survivors, and then no WW-2 Survivors or Veterans. These people were truly the Greatest Generation. It probably a good thing that a sneak attack like that doesn't happen now, or with the way things are run, a resulting war would last for decades. Wait a minute! We have been through a sneak attack like that with major loss of life and severe damage, and the resulting war HAS been going on for more than a decade! Back then we pushed and worked for an overwhelming defeat of an enemy and ideology that was different than ours and and that was accomplished in 5 years. What's it gonna take in this day and age???
     God Bless 'Em All! The Greatest Generation!
     Dan McEntee

Dan, very good. Unfortunately today's America has a very short memory.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 09:14:43 AM »
Only history question I could answer with out thinking.    Only way we can thank all those who gave all and those that served is to keep them in our memory. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 10:48:52 AM »
I have an uncle who was Army Artillery on one of the islands.... his crew actually shot down one Jap Zero... with a 105 MM cannon

When I was drafted--  mid 1973, That story and event was why I chose to enlist for 4 (in lieu of draft and certain Viet Nam training as 11B) as a 13 Bravo...(FA crewman) with long training at Fort lewis ...my own (non Canadian) version of evading Viet Nam duty

As is tradition, for last decades my VFW post...put on a very well attended ceremony...I love living in a town with a LOT of WWII Vets

To bad I will soon be attending the funeral of the last one from our area... sad face

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »
Our illustrious President Mr. Obama gave a speech and said "We should get over it! 

No thanks! Says I...I prefer to remember!

Randy C.
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 07:06:12 PM »
What we really need to get over is Obama as president.  The real USA needs to rise again!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 08:08:50 PM »
What we really need to get over is Obama as president . . .
========================================
AMEN, brother!!!
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 08:41:01 PM »
Our useless President Mr. Obama gave a speech and said "We should get over it! 

No thanks! Says I...I prefer to remember!

Randy C.

FIFY! (Fixed It For You)  H^^ Steve

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 01:10:14 AM »
FIFY! (Fixed It For You)  H^^ Steve

UUhhhhh...Oh yeah...Thanks Steve!  ;D

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 08:57:51 AM »
seems odd to me that they want us to "get over it" until it comes to something they feel is important, like oh, illegal immigration, abusing welfare to let illegals have benefits, you know stuff like that then god help us if we "get over that"
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 09:49:07 AM »

My own dad was already an Army Air Corps pilot by December 7, 1941. He is long gone now but of course had vivid memories. The Army sent his unit to Alaska when the Japanese invaded and he spent the war years in the frozen north. Luckily for me, who probably would not be here if Dad had seen the combat he wanted.
This rings a very loud bell for me.  My dad was a skilled engineer and an aviation enthusiast, and tried to enlist as aircrew in the RAF.  He was old for aircrew duties, but by early 1941 they were taking men of his age as flight engineers in bombers, so that's what he was hoping for.  However, they made his engineering work a Reserved Occupation and he was stuck at his workbench for the duration.  Given the mortality rate of RAF bomber crews, if he'd got his way I don't think I'd have had much chance of seeing the light of day in 1945!
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here