News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:01:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS .26 Four stroke conversion  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
OS .26 Four stroke conversion
« on: June 13, 2010, 03:10:39 PM »
Hi All,

Many of you may have seen some pictures of my Ringmaster with the OS .26 four stroke on it. This little engine really makes a Ringmaster fly like a real airplane, at least while the engine is running. Hot landings are required to make nice grease on landings other wise, you get the hippity hop landings that Ringmasters are noted for.

Bob Zambellie has had great success with these little four strokes, so I sent him my two engines and he converted the carb to a venturi/needle valve mount. Installed an OS type NVA and it works fine. Engine uses about 1 1/2 ounces of fuel for a full pattern and about an ounce for Old Time. Bob has a real knack for working on these little engines and making them very user friendly. Mine are usually one flip starts, run a BY&O 10X6 prop that the engines are very happy with. Ringmaster flies on 61 foot lines eye to eye. No problem with line tension, its got plenty even in fairly strong winds, 10 to 12 mph easy.

Bob's work is great, he doesn't charge too much and  turn around time is prompt. These little engines are great for these size planes. I'm going to build a light Veco Chief and put one in it, engine has enough power to easily pull the Chief around, just to give you an idea. I have not tried the Saito .30, can't report on that. I think Bob runs these though so you might ask him.

I've attached a photo of the two engines Bob has worked on, so you can see what he did. Realatively simple, although the second one I believe he turned the assembly out of some sort of carbon material. Not all I know is it works, so don't fix it. Thanks to Bob for the fix here. I wasn't having much luck with the little engine until he made this change for me.

Gerald Schamp (Old Flyer Dude)

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
Re: OS .26 Four stroke conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 06:52:37 AM »
What is going price on one of those.  Have one I might be looking to sell.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Ben Jones

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 02:40:26 PM »
Hi,Gerald

I have just bought my first 4 stroke engine and know very little about them.  This is a new OS 26.  I have seen John Thompson fly your old R/M in contest here in Auburn, Washington and was very impressed and so was the Judges. So if you could be so kind and tell me some suggestions concerning this neat little engine it would really be appreciated.

My question right now is what fuel do you recommend for breakin and for flying ?  I have available PowermasterYO about $ 27 a gal, Coolpower $19, and wildcat $18 a gallon all are 4 stroke fuels.

Thank you,  Ben Jones 

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »
I convert em a little bit more...

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 05:33:30 PM »
Other side...

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 06:51:41 PM »
What is the weight of one of these .26's?
What is the launch RPM with a 10x6?

AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here