News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:17:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crashed Privateer Re-built and Flown  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Crashed Privateer Re-built and Flown
« on: July 26, 2016, 01:40:28 PM »
Though many said to me it was a goner I did get my Privateer re-built and have already flown it. Crashed it in a morning practice back in June at the Mid-Iowa Controliners Stunt Contest. It just quit at the top of the Triangle and went straight in.
Think I had a tank leak...several after crash. Made a new tank and took the OS .40 that I bought over 20 years ago and was modified by Randy Smith off of my old retired Prowler.
Flight was a touch fast and lean but went through the pattern with no problem.
I needed retribution.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: Crashed Privateer Re-built and Flown
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 03:07:16 PM »
That's pretty amazing!  I would look at that and give up.

Not long ago, my Thunder Gazer shed outboard wing in flight.  Clean break, but the wing was glued in solidly, and so I saved the hardware only.

Next time something like that happens, maybe I'll re-consider rebuilding?

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 03:37:36 PM »
A clean break at the wing root is usually an easy fix.  It's nice to see a good repair job!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 03:38:45 PM »
I hope it is a good repair)))) But it hang on through 3 flights including this very fast lean one.

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 06:10:41 PM »
While videos get cropped and spliced and edited and all...my first thought was that you need to get the engine warmed up before you set the NV. Some guys do not warm up the engine before launch, but they do the same thing every flight, and usually get away with it, once they get a good setting. Unless, of course, it bites them in the hindquarters!  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 08:33:50 PM »
While videos get cropped and spliced and edited and all...my first thought was that you need to get the engine warmed up before you set the NV. Some guys do not warm up the engine before launch, but they do the same thing every flight, and usually get away with it, once they get a good setting. Unless, of course, it bites them in the hindquarters!  LL~ Steve
Yes. I feel ya'.
Old engine on new plane and new type of tank so pardon my haste to see if it would fly. I'd rather be a wee fast than doggy rich in wind.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 10:29:14 AM »
Way to go Shug.   When I plant a plane like that it usually is not worth rebuilding.   Polk City flying field is where I lost my Olympic IV coming out of the 4 leaf clover.  A gust of wind as I was coming down to level off.   Your rebuild/repair looks like it had never been hurt. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »
Shug, all I can say is you are the MAN!   

I would like to see you fly a combat plane, please. 
I will not try combat as I know I will like it and don't need the distraction from stunt.  ~^ Need to get my stunt goals achieved first!
Thankee.

Way to go Shug.   When I plant a plane like that it usually is not worth rebuilding.   Polk City flying field is where I lost my Olympic IV coming out of the 4 leaf clover.  A gust of wind as I was coming down to level off.   Your rebuild/repair looks like it had never been hurt. H^^
I hope it holds up a while. The repair was not as hard as I thought it would be. I had it hanging on the wall of my Nut-Hut to shame me into repairing it. My fleet is well stocked and this year...year three is a year of flying as many planes as I can and trimming. Soon I hope to be down to flying just a couple for all events. But right now I am liking the electric P-40, Primary Force (very comfortable flyer) and starting to really like the Strega. Just need more flying time. We cannot stooge-fly at our feild and only get three days a week so that cuts into practice time a lot.
And now I am off on the road for 6 weeks so other than this weekend there will be no handle time.
Thankee Doc.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline B Norton

• B-NO
  • 2019 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 02:09:08 PM »
And yet another good plane. Looks great and looks like it flies great to.Good job!

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 02:33:22 PM »
At contests, nobody waits for an engine warm-up.  (not even "experts".)  Maybe 10-15 sec. for reading a tach.  If that isn't enough, then maybe electrics is the way to go?

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 10:25:49 PM »
Shug, that's a great looking repair job! Well done.

W.W.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 10:35:18 PM »
When you look at the hours and time invested in a plane , repairing them makes sense .
If they come out not quite perfect like they were in the first place  ;D
youve got a useable plane for when the conditions are a bit off , and you dont want to risk your current masterpiece .

Was Given a splattered 54 in foam wing mega  ;) Lt Wt profile Kiwi .40 ship. Passed it on and a tyro nailed it together.
Coulda kept it , cut six in from the sponged center of the wing , and had an ideal .25 ship to take in the boot , for a blast
at a likely feild in my travels , or on the way back from Town . >:( Loading still woulda been good .

Open Heart Surgery , sucessfully executed . One Back in the Air . Good Job Well Done .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here