News:

• April 25, 2024, 05:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Controls very slow  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Controls very slow
« on: April 20, 2017, 06:44:26 PM »
I have a very heavy Nobler, pulled by an FP 40.   I hadn't flown it for a long time.  However, it was not very responsive on the end of 60 ft. lines.  Had plenty of pull on the lines and glided to a very smooth landing.  Weight is a problem.  But could it be tail heavy?  or what?  Any suggestions?

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Controls very slow
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 06:47:11 PM »
More likely nose heavy, tail heavy would tend to make it twitchy.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 07:15:12 PM »
If its got the stock muffler on it , itll be very nose heavy .  A tounge muffler'd help there .

The round case FPs seem to be heavier than the earlyer wart case ones . :(

Check the sea gee .

Offline John McFayden

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 07:30:22 PM »
You say you had not flown it in a long time. If previously it was responsive and no changes were made to the model then perhaps the hinges are stiff due to old oil and dirt thickening up. Some IPA or even fuel can be used to clean them and loosen them up.

John McFayden

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:35:45 PM »
Yes quite nose heavy.  Remember the Nobler was designed for a 6 ounce Fox .35 with no muffler,  and a 3 1/2 ounce fuel tank.  If you were to add enough tail weight to get to a proper CG the plane would be too heavy but worse,  create a bar bell with chunks of weight on both ends which would resist turning then not want to stop turning once set in motion.  Try to lighten the nose even if you have to fly it less muffler and find the lightest spinner ( or leave it off).  If you build another try to 'go nostalgia' and use a Fox or McCoy or something lighter and consider flying it without muffler- like in the good ol' days.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 04:22:45 AM »
Some IPA or even fuel can be used to clean them and loosen them up.

A good IPA loosens me up, too.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 04:40:27 AM »
I will check the cg.  It did have a fox 35 on it.  Then, perhaps a B-40.  First time flying with FP.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 09:09:30 AM »
May not be the plane....I know I need to loosen up after a long lay-off!  Just say'n. H^^

And yeah.....I agree with the nose heavy fella's.  A plane will act as you describe if nose heavy and that motor/muffler combo is MUCH heavier than the old unmuffled Fox 35.
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »
Allen,

I have an ARF Nobler I'm thinking of assembling if I don't sell it.

Could you please tell me what yours weighs?

Thank you in advance.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 10:41:47 AM »
As stated it is nose heavy.  I replaced the Fox 35 Stunt tongue muffler with EVO 36 tongue muffler.  Left off the cowl as I didn't want to hack it up.  Left off the spinner also.  After trying to fly I wound up adding tail weight.   It now turns like it should but the fuel tank is not big enough.   It is being used to break in the EVO.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 10:43:44 AM »
However, it was not very responsive on the end of 60 ft. lines.  Had plenty of pull on the lines and glided to a very smooth landing.  Weight is a problem.  But could it be tail heavy?  or what?  Any suggestions?

Yet another vote for nose heavy -- not responsive, plenty of pull, and an easy smooth glide all point to that.

Lighten it up in front as much as you can, and then put on tail weight.  Good balance is better than light weight, especially when you have a powerful motor like the FP in front.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 01:19:15 PM »
Your plane is probably nose heavy ,Add weight to the tail to get it to turn properly.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »
Thank for all the advice.  So far, I had added a quarter of an ounce to the tail. No good weather for flying right now.  Will try that.  With that weight it seems to balance near the front line - the up line.

In answer to Charles about weight, I don't have anything to weigh with. I can say, that a good new kit, even an ARF will be lighter than this often repaired porker. 

I just finished all the modifications to the 40 FP that I ever plan to do.  I just added one head shim.  Before that I put a slightly smaller venturi in it. Hopefully, no more, runaways.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 09:10:20 PM »
a;llen have you checked the cg? then the leadout position,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »

Threw one of these on the FP 40 wart thing , the other weekend .

Straight into a deep steady 4 - stroke . Tho in the Mewgull it'd finally stopped the runaways !
and I DONT need a deep steady 4 - stroke in the Machhi 72 . HB~> HB~> HB~>

A 1/2 rad on the end of a bit of scrap metal , chamfered . And glow plug in clamped drill chuck , would get it .
If you kept your fingers out of it . Theres definately a ' Transformation ' . And not a difficult ' FIX ' .

Sceptre Flight reviews gives differant combustion chamber volume ( Head ) for FP 40 R/C & FP 40 C/L .

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 09:21:14 PM »
Thank for all the advice.  So far, I had added a quarter of an ounce to the tail. No good weather for flying right now.  Will try that.  With that weight it seems to balance near the front line - the up line.

The leadouts may be too far forward, but moving the CG back is probably the right move. But be advised that a lot of these classic airplanes (many of which are Noblers underneath) are very sensitive to the CG position. The range from too sluggish to unstable is very narrow. So go very carefully with the changes, and if it suddenly starts wanting to tighten up in round maneuvers where you have to fight to keep it from ballooning at the bottom, you are probably very close to the aft CG limit.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here