News:

• May 04, 2024, 12:41:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control Line Speed Chart  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Randy A. Dailey

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Control Line Speed Chart
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:53:01 AM »
Can someone send me a chart for calculating C/l Planes on 60 ft lines in MPH.

Thanks, Randy

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: Control Line Speed Chart
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 12:17:42 PM »
Don't have a chart. The calculation is: Speed (mph) = 1799.28 / Time (in seconds for 7 laps)
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 12:43:31 PM »
Bob is VERY correct.

But based on stopwatch & line measurement accuracy, seconds per half mile /1800 and seconds per mile / 3600 is close enough.

If you are into French measurement you can do seconds per kilometer / 3600 = KPH.
A kilometer is ten laps on 52' - 2 3/8" lines in the all-metric system.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Matiska

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 05:06:29 PM »
Did anyone else buy one of these from the AMA way back in the 60's?

Bob in NEPA
AMA 56267

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »
Formatting is left as an exercise to the user.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 05:38:42 PM »
The speed chart used to be a few pages of the AMA rulebook. You know, back when there was an AMA rulebook. Remember that?  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy A. Dailey

• 2016 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 06:37:18 PM »
I want to thank everyone for your help.
    This morning I flew a Spoiler Combat ship with a ST 35 Stunt engine with 10-6 prop as rich as it would run. This is the first time I have flown in over 40 yrs, and I thought it would never run out of fuel. Thought I would never stop stumbling around after I landed. After 30 minute sobering up (LOL), flew again and went for broke doing loops and figure 8's, same results after landing, legs feel like rubber after 8 hrs. Can't believe plane survived.

Thanks, again

PS: I'm sure I heard a Sonic boom!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
I want to thank everyone for your help.
    This morning I flew a Spoiler Combat ship with a ST 35 Stunt engine with 10-6 prop as rich as it would run. This is the first time I have flown in over 40 yrs, and I thought it would never run out of fuel. Thought I would never stop stumbling around after I landed. After 30 minute sobering up (LOL), flew again and went for broke doing loops and figure 8's, same results after landing, legs feel like rubber after 8 hrs. Can't believe plane survived.

Thanks, again

PS: I'm sure I heard a Sonic boom!

If you have the plane for it, stand in one spot and do lazy 8's until your head stops spinning.  At times when I've been under the weather or have been laid off for a while, I've found that one or two laps of inverted will sometimes help.  OTOH, sometimes mixing inverted with upright flying just gets my inner ears so confused I don't know which way is up.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 08:34:24 PM »
Had to challenge myself, I have the Excel spreadsheet that was used to make this PDF file if anyone is interested. Excel is great to make these kind of calculations

This reads like the old original chart the base number on the left and the decimal on the horizontal bar

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 07:11:16 AM »
From my days of flying combat (oh, so long ago!), I recalled that 18 seconds/7 laps = 100 mph. From my days of flying CL speed, I remember that 10 seconds flat was just a bit out of reach, but somewhere in the 10's is cookin'. 

Getting dizzy like that (with no hangover) is one of the great things about CL. Regarding the legs being like rubber, that's more to do with walking on a rough field and conditioning. Walk the dog more? Leg presses at the gym will really git 'er done.  #^ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 07:26:09 AM »
The old PAPER AMA Rule Book was great.  Everybody got one every year and most carried on in their pit box.  None of this E-book burning and continuous revisionism.

The chart was used mostly be Speed people and sometimes Carrier.

Combat & Racing guys just memorized the key numbers:  24 = 75 MPH, 20 = 90 MPH, 17 is 105, 16 is 112.5 and the magic number: 15 = 120 MPH.

Paul Smith

Offline Bob Matiska

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 08:27:42 AM »
OK, boys and girls, here they are, pages 20 and 21 of the 1976/77 AMA rule book. I knew I kept it for a reason.

Yes, it only goes as slow as 25.9 seconds for half a mile, 69.23 mph, but it's a start.

Bob in NEPA

Added: The bottom of the Bill Johnson speed chart. Probably the most useful numbers for stunt flyers.
AMA 56267

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 09:48:49 AM »

Yes, it only goes as slow as 25.9 seconds for half a mile, 69.23 mph, but it's a start.

I've actually hit that number before.....  HB~>

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 06:53:13 PM »
 "None of this E-book burning and continuous revisionism."

Actually, the thing that really burned me up was that there were VERY OBVIOUS mistakes in the online posted stunt rules, but the AMA wouldn't fix it until the new rules were voted on. If one knew what the correct text should have been, then it would have taken something like 30 minutes (max) to fix.

If there had been a mistake in the printed rules, I could understand this better. But online, it's just a minor deal to fix it right. I guess it just wasn't important enough for the judges and CD's to know what the regulations were supposed to be?  HB~> Steve

Offline howard shenton

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 07:41:49 AM »
This is a speed chart for most of the line lengths we use.
Base calculation is for 2 laps but can be changed to suit individual needs.
Line length is calculated from Finger side of the handle to the centerline of the model.
Was posted in the combat forum a while back.
More useful than the AMA chart .
Howard Shenton AMA 83412
Mauldin, SC 29662

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 11:29:39 AM »
Had to challenge myself, I have the Excel spreadsheet that was used to make this PDF file if anyone is interested. Excel is great to make these kind of calculations

This reads like the old original chart the base number on the left and the decimal on the horizontal bar

Fred
Thanks Fred!  You're all right!  ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here