News:

• April 23, 2024, 06:46:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CONTROL LINE HANDLE FINISH  (Read 5698 times)

Online Carl Cisneros

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
CONTROL LINE HANDLE FINISH
« on: November 22, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »
Folks;

What is a good type of finish for a CL handle?  Like the Brodaks or the SH Hobbies unfinished ones.

thanks much

I have 2 handles that I fly with that are sanded to shape for my hands comfort but no finish on them as yet. (each of the 2 handles are dedicated to a certain plane)
Any suggestions would be nice.

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: CONTROL LINE HANDLE FINISH
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 02:00:55 PM »
Folks;

What is a good type of finish for a CL handle?  Like the Brodaks or the SH Hobbies unfinished ones.

thanks much

I have 2 handles that I fly with that are sanded to shape for my hands comfort but no finish on them as yet. (each of the 2 handles are dedicated to a certain plane)
Any suggestions would be nice.

I usually put on a very good epoxy finish. With forced-air drying/curing (in a food dehydrator) you can get a very durable finish in less than a day. Then I put this over it:

http://www.amazon.com/Gamma-AGT1-Gauze-Tape/dp/B002N1OG3G

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 02:01:43 PM »
I just use enough clear dope that it's water- and fuel proof.

You can make a thing of art using polyurethane varnish and a lot of sanding, but it turns out that for a lot of people, the weight of the handle impacts how well they fly -- 16 grams is definitely better than 100.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 04:32:51 PM »
I sent a modeler, don't remember who, a couple of leather tennis racket grips. Guy doesn't know it, but they're worth around 30.00 each!

I hope he used them, or if not, pass them on to another modeler. "Send them back!!"  ;D  LL~

They come in long strips about 3/4" wide depending on the brand. Could do two handles per grip.

Quality leather tennis racquet grips are almost impossible to come by, I was told they are no longer being made.

Whoever you are, Post a photo!

I'd like to know you used them.  LL~ LL~

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:15:33 PM »
Here's my latest, painted in Bondall Clear Varnish.
It finished up at 100g. I like the feel of the heavier handle, but hey, what do I know?

As the wood is Huon Pine, next one probably won't have any paint at all except to mark Up.

Online Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 06:25:52 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys

all are good ones.

am leaning on the epoxy one mainly for sealing then sanding smooth.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Carl

Charles:  I found these buddy:     http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage-LEATHERRGRI.html

Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 06:52:52 PM »
Hi Carl, I'll toss in one more, similar to the rest. I use the unbiased Tom Morris cable handles, they fit my knotty knuckled hand better than any other. They come raw, ready for dremel shaping of the palm pads and finger grips, then sanding and finishing. I wipe on clear Minwax polyurethane and after it dries, wrap it tightly with Walmart tennis racket tape, which follows the contours of the grip nicely. The poly and the tape are both pretty much bullet proof to all the stuff we slimers get on them. It's probably a little lighter than epoxy but both seem equally effective. I've never had the tape unwrap and it's great for non-slip grip.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Online Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 07:28:09 PM »
Rusty
thanks for the Poly tip

I forgot about that product.

decisions, decisions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, HB~>
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 10:00:26 PM »
I myself don't like smooth finishes on the handles.  The best one I have is one I got off Dick Byron at VSC one year trying to tame down an air plane.  With all fuel and body sweat it is sticky but makes for a great grip so the handle doesn't slide in my hand..
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 10:12:49 PM »
Two coats of Z-Poxy finishing epoxy (sanded smooth after 1st coat), with fishing rod handle tape on the grip area. The tape protects the epoxy finish from being worn through on asphalt and has been trouble free for years & years.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 04:29:36 AM »
I use  product called Vet Wrap to wrap the handle. Find it at Agway or TSC type stores. Maybe Amazon.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 10:19:19 AM »
So, some like it smooth and some like it grippy; some like it hard and some like it soft?
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
I simply use a couple of coats of clear dope on the wood parts, to keep water out.  I do admit that a coat of epoxy would work better but would probably be heavier and I can't tolerate a heavy handle.   I do wrap the gripping portion of the handle with a layer of Tennis Tape.  In my opinion there is nothing worse than a handle that can slide around in your hand.  In fact I make sure mine slightly touches the outside edges of my index finger and little finger (fits exactly in other words).  I think that's very important for consistant "muscle memory".

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 12:30:15 PM »
I like Pat Johnston's method the best. He coats his handles with epoxy mixed with sand. Give it a fuel proof and sandpaper finish. I did my latest handle like this. Very nice.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 12:50:44 PM »
... epoxy mixed with sand. Give it a fuel proof and sandpaper finish. I did my latest handle like this. Very nice.
hmmmm grippy but not squishy.
Reminds me of "skateboard tape" on the front strap of a 1911. Felt a little odd first but was perfect after just a little getting used to.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 07:18:22 PM »
I have made redwood handles with a polyurethane finish, Very light and the finish is fairly durable. But can be easily refinished if it's scratched up at all.

The redwood has some great wood grain patterns and come thru with the polyurethane finish, I have made racing, hard point and standard cable handles

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Mark Knoepfle

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 07:37:33 PM »
Fred - those are some nice looking handles. Are the backs of the two cable handles like a hot rock for the adjustment?

Mark

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 07:51:04 PM »
I put a short landing gear strap, it has to be metal to keep it from slipping on the back side. It works better when there is two straps.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Mark Knoepfle

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 08:19:36 PM »
Clever! Thank you Fred.

Mark

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 08:32:54 PM »
Here's mine. You can see the sand in the finish.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 09:57:11 AM »
I like Pat Johnston's method the best. He coats his handles with epoxy mixed with sand. Give it a fuel proof and sandpaper finish. I did my latest handle like this. Very nice.

Randy,

How does he get the sand through the airbrush.  When I tried it mine got all clogged up. ~^

Happy Big Bird Day

Ted

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 10:17:48 AM »
Here's mine. You can see the sand in the finish.

Carl,

I brought some black sand from one of those islands in the pacific some years ago and used it on a couple of my handles. I coated the area that I wanted covered in epoxy and sprinkled the black sand over it. Then I put another coat of epoxy over it.
The problem that I had was; it would sand your hand after a couple flights. I think the sand was to course. A fined sand would've been better. Also I think I would use (fine) white sand next time.

Good luck, Jerry

Online Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 06:21:48 PM »
Guys

Thanks ever so much for your suggestions, now I just have to make up my mind as to what I want to use on mine.  HB~> HB~>

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 01:31:24 AM »
Carl,

I brought some black sand from one of those islands in the pacific some years ago and used it on a couple of my handles. I coated the area that I wanted covered in epoxy and sprinkled the black sand over it. Then I put another coat of epoxy over it.
The problem that I had was; it would sand your hand after a couple flights. I think the sand was to course. A fined sand would've been better. Also I think I would use (fine) white sand next time.

I used sandpaper and sand a long time ago, and that's exactly what happened to me. That was when I was flying a lot, and it just ate up the skin on my hand and I had blisters and callouses. I really like the gamma gauze tape, it has good grip, lasts a reasonable amount of time, and has no "give" to it.

Brett

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 05:19:05 AM »
I have taken a sheet of wet/dry sand paper (220 or 320 grit) and punched out "dots" with a standard paper punch.  I glue the dots to a painted smooth handle to add grippiness.  The dots are unaffected by water or  fuel.  Works for me.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here