News:

• April 24, 2024, 04:42:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cleaning those pesky pens  (Read 2010 times)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Cleaning those pesky pens
« on: August 26, 2016, 05:00:34 PM »
AMA 12366

Offline Jim Dincau

• Lieutenant
Re: Cleaning those pesky pens
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 05:26:05 PM »
Exactly how I do it Robert. I use my wife's jewelry cleaner, it has a smaller basket so it is harder to loose parts. Replacement tips/nibs can be found on E bay for from 9 to 15$ each.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time.

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 06:18:12 PM »
Great video Robert!!!!
Very informative and helpful.

I would like to add a couple of thoughts here.
I have been cleaning out my pens this way for years, and lately I have been using a solution of Simple Green and water, about 50/50.
The Simple Green seems to desolve the ink a little faster

Also I make it a point to clean the pens as soon as I am finish with them.
It sucks when your all set to start inking, only to find you have to change gears and take the time to clean out your dry clogged pens.
Its also a lot easier to clean the pens soon after your finish with them rather than clean them after they have dried up.

Again, great video

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 10:24:04 PM »
Thanks Larry. I try to clean them but sometimes forget
AMA 12366

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 11:09:10 AM »
I had a Kon-I-Hor  ultrasonic cleaner for about 35 years, but it finally gave up and there are no more available even on Ebay. Thanks for the tip on the Kendhal units. 

BTW, my Dallas area draftsman supply told me to use Windex and it worked well. I have not tried dish washer detergent.
AMA 7544

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 02:04:39 PM »
I agree  with Larry ,  I had posted here years ago about Simple Green,  it is  the best cleaner I have ever found  for  dry ink pens.
I have  pro grade Technical pen cleaner  here  along  with a real ultra sonic cleaner, it works much better than  the pen cleaner does.

Simple Green is also  the best cleaner I have ever used to clean outside  screens on windows, you do not have to remove them just spray with a yard sprayer,  full of concentrate un-dilluted  SG,  let sit a few minutes  then  hose off with clear water

Randy

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »
Whenst we were doing draughtsmanship , Cleaned the pens ea. fortnite . In Summer !

Theyed gurrgle & splot otherwise entirely . The Big Bench was Along the Window. IN THE SUN .

Winter a month would pass with only one or two playing up . If you dropped em and speared something - The three finer ones'd BEND .
So part of the art was Straightening Bent Nib. However past about 45 degrees its not practical really . They tend to snap or bind .

ANYWAY . The Though JUST OCCURED  , if you have a PEN DRAW or something , with say foam cut out pen holders ( best slightly nose down -
keeps the air out of the insides ) rather than just laying them on the bench in the sun , on big jobs ( more than a hour or two ) theyll likely
give no bother .

Were some fancy ones for drawing on the new fangled plastic paper  which wore the tips 45 degree . Amazing how often it was picked up ' true '
Much of a turn out & the worn tip would just ' scribe ' the paper .

Thinking they were PLATINUM Tipped , near twice the price . >:(  wouldnt wantem anywherte dusty.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 06:58:00 AM »
Hi.

One more tip is, after the soap bath, to rinse the parts well in clean water, preferrably distilled but normal clean water will do too.
Even the smallest residue of detergent will kill the surface tension of ink and you are in a big risk of getting your fingertips black.
I have Rotring Rapido- and Isographs. They are nice but it is not possible to take the piston out from tip. So very often the cleaning of finest tips is not succesfull.
Which brand are your pens, Robert?

Lauri

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 07:52:05 AM »
Hi.

One more tip is, after the soap bath, to rinse the parts well in clean water, preferrably distilled but normal clean water will do too.
Even the smallest residue of detergent will kill the surface tension of ink and you are in a big risk of getting your fingertips black.
I have Rotring Rapido- and Isographs. They are nice but it is not possible to take the piston out from tip. So very often the cleaning of finest tips is not succesfull.

Lauri
Rapidograph
AMA 12366

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 02:49:32 PM »
Hi.

Lauri

Lauri

The  ultra sonic cleaner  with clear distilled water after rinsing works really well,  the sonic cleaner shakes out any residue and rinses them well. And gets rid of any trace  of detergent, or any hard dried ink the Simple Green broke loose

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here