News:

• April 17, 2024, 10:05:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Check everything, even new parts  (Read 847 times)

Offline Jim Svitko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Check everything, even new parts
« on: May 26, 2016, 03:47:52 PM »
Today I made a periodic inspection of the 1/16 cable on my handles.  I found broken strands on one handle so I reached into my stash of replacement parts and installed the Brodak cable/sleeve kit.  Anyone who has used the Brodak replacement cable knows that one end has a pre-formed loop.

After installing the new cable I decided to check the pre-formed loop.  I should have done this before installation but never had any issues before with this part.  I ran my finger over it and was stabbed by a broken strand.  I think the pre-formed loop is too small of a radius for the cable diameter and maybe this overstressed the strands.

Rather than order more of the same from Brodak I went to McMaster Carr to get cable and compression sleeves.

I may re-consider the hard point handle.  I tried one in the past.  I could tell a difference in feel. It helped some maneuvers, but I thought it made things worse on others.  Maybe I just need more time to work with it.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Check everything, even new parts
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 04:12:14 PM »
Today I made a periodic inspection of the 1/16 cable on my handles.  I found broken strands on one handle so I reached into my stash of replacement parts and installed the Brodak cable/sleeve kit.  Anyone who has used the Brodak replacement cable knows that one end has a pre-formed loop.

After installing the new cable I decided to check the pre-formed loop.  I should have done this before installation but never had any issues before with this part.  I ran my finger over it and was stabbed by a broken strand.  I think the pre-formed loop is too small of a radius for the cable diameter and maybe this overstressed the strands.

Rather than order more of the same from Brodak I went to McMaster Carr to get cable and compression sleeves.

I may re-consider the hard point handle.  I tried one in the past.  I could tell a difference in feel. It helped some maneuvers, but I thought it made things worse on others.  Maybe I just need more time to work with it.

Yeah, in my opinion the real answer to this problem is the hard point handle.  I agree that the feel is different and all hard point handles aren't created equal.  I believe the Fancher style to be the best, but other opinions may vary.

It's important that the handle is light and fits your hand exactly.  The Hard point handles are a little more sensitive to handle placement in your hand and should actually touch (lightly) your index finger and pinky finger at top and bottom inside.  Also handle line spacing is a little more critical and should be carefully trimmed during several flights.

These pointers, I believe, will go a long way in helping your situation with helping with some but not all maneuvers.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Check everything, even new parts
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 07:27:42 PM »
next time run a rag over it and save your finger.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here