News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:59:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: butyrate dope thinner  (Read 4639 times)

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
butyrate dope thinner
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:56:14 AM »
What is a replacement thinner for sig butyrate dope?
Thanks,
dale g

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: butyrate dope thinner
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:18:36 AM »
This has been gone over many, many times, and very fruitfully.  You want to learn how to use search.  So, do the following (the first of which, unfortunately, takes you off of this posting):

• Click on the link to the Stunthanger forum that is just above this post on the left.  It says "stunthanger.com".
  • In the upper right corner of your screen, there's a search bar -- see the picture
  • Type +dope +thinner in the search bar -- this looks for all posts that have BOTH "dope" and "thinner" in them
  • Click the "search" button
  • Read.  And read, and read, and read -- there's lots of good stuff

If it comes to painting, I always listen to Randy Powell.  Randy tells me that I should always listen to Mark Scarborough and do whatever he says.  Mark tells me that Billy Byles knows way more than he does about painting airplanes.  So, listen to me, and if Billy says something, he's right.

Sparky, if you're out there, I know that this forum runs on software you didn't write, but if it were possible to have links to searches it would be very helpful for questions like this one.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:31:27 AM »
Thanks Tim.
dg

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:36:35 AM »
Hi Dale-A good replacement is Dupont 3608S (make sure it has the "S"). You may be able to purchase it in Texas at auto paint supply stores. It was Windy's choice back in the day. I buy it when I visit New Mexico, it is not available in California. If not, Brodak's works well as do Randolph's or Consolidated. They are probably available from Aircraft Spruce. Your standard Home improvement/hardware store brands are good for cleaning equipment. In a pinch they can be used for thinning but I don't recommend it (even though I've done it for non-critical sport plane finishes.) 8)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:53:32 AM by Balsa Butcher »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »
Dale, the old DOC went to the NAPA Auto store to see if they still carried the Dupont 3608S.   Have been using their version of it,  will need to to and get the number of it. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:16:23 AM »
The answer is in...Dupont 3608S available through O'Reilly's....37$ a gallon.
Thanks,
dale g

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 10:23:02 AM »
The answer is in...Dupont 3608S available through O'Reilly's....37$ a gallon.

Depending on where you live -- it's unavailable in areas that have smog problems.  In Oregon that means I can get it in the boonies (as far as I know), but if I'm at a store inside the Portland Airshed (and possibly other areas) it's not for sale.

So if you're in a big city don't be surprised if you can't just waltz into your local store and get it -- you may have to go for a drive in the country.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »
Well when I was looking O'Reilly'y or NAPA neither one had any Dupont products.   So I'm using ACME GALFT220 from NAPA.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 11:14:40 AM »
Well when I was looking O'Reilly'y or NAPA neither one had any Dupont products.   So I'm using ACME GALFT220 from NAPA.    H^^

I don't know about O'Reilly, but NAPA stores are franchises -- so what's on the shelves depends a lot on what the store owner wants to put there.
AMA 64232

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 11:31:15 AM »
What is a replacement thinner for sig butyrate dope?
Thanks,
dale g

Hi Dale,

You can use any butyrate thinner for butyrate dope.  As Pete Kunha (balsa butcher) stated above you can also use DuPont 3608S (or 3602S if you need a slower thinner.)  Just be sure that it is not V3608S as that is the low VOC product & will definitely make a mess of the dope.  The "V" as a prefix is a red flag as far as using it for thinning dope.  I will skip the lecture about using the search function...I don't mind repeating information here.  Tell Linda Bob I said "hi".
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 11:45:01 AM »
I recently was needing to purchase dope thinner and went to the local auto paint supply store. They didn't carry Dupont 3608S but looked up an equivalent thinner in a different brand.  I have always used SIG thinner (and dopes) and chickened out.  3608S is a replacement many have used with success.  The "equivalent" replacement had no such endorsements and COST MORE THAN SIG!

I ordered SIG thinner direct from SIG.

Quarts from SIG have no Hazmat Fee.

Gallons do.  If you go Hazmat, make sure you use an address where you can sign for it.  They will NOT leave it on your porch.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 12:05:54 PM »
I will skip the lecture about using the search function...I don't mind repeating information here.  Tell Linda Bob I said "hi".

Sorry if what I said came through as a lecture -- I just think that so much has been said on this subject that if someone wants to know in depth, well, it's all there.
AMA 64232

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 01:16:24 PM »
Dale- Texas Air Parts (Now called Aero Performance) is just ten minutes from my home and you can get Randolph Butyrate thinner #9703 there by the gallon, PLUS I still have some cold Yuengling in the fridge! Might not hurt to call them to insure they have it in stock. 817 624 9882.

Offline eric rule

• Commander

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 05:36:37 PM »
DuPont has changed the brand name and number for the 3608S thinner.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »
Sorry if what I said came through as a lecture -- I just think that so much has been said on this subject that if someone wants to know in depth, well, it's all there.

Yeah, I thought about what I said there & regretted it after, especially since I learned something about the search function from your post.  Sorry about that unnecessary statement.  And, I do remember going over paints, dopes, thinners, etc. numerous times posting here through the years and the same questions seem to come up over & over.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 07:38:32 PM »
DuPont has changed the brand name and number for the 3608S thinner.

Hi Dan,

DuPont has sold the refinish paint products division according to my local supplier and I can't remember the name of the new company.  Along with this many of the product names & product designator numbers are changed.  The polyurethane paints such as "Imron" (apparently again available) are costing over $400.00 per sprayable gallon (yikes!). 
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 09:19:51 PM »
It might be called Axalta.
DuPont Car Color Center still had it.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 09:23:07 PM »
Hi Dan,

DuPont has sold the refinish paint products division according to my local supplier and I can't remember the name of the new company.  Along with this many of the product names & product designator numbers are changed.  The polyurethane paints such as "Imron" (apparently again available) are costing over $400.00 per sprayable gallon (yikes!). 

So, Bill does your supplier know what the new number and name for the thinner is.  I was just preparing to try to get some from my supplier tomorrow.  He may know but I would like to be prepared if possible!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 01:47:20 PM »
So, Bill does your supplier know what the new number and name for the thinner is.  I was just preparing to try to get some from my supplier tomorrow.  He may know but I would like to be prepared if possible!

Randy Cuberly

Hi Randy,

I think that 3608S is still available in Arizona, but I will call my supplier & get the info about the new company.

Bill
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 02:13:52 PM »
It might be called Axalta.
DuPont Car Color Center still had it.

Dan,

Correct, the name of the company is "Axalta" and the new name for Imron polyurethane is "DuPont Imron Elite" (& there are a couple of other "Imrons) such as "Imron Productive", etc.) using the same number for accelerator.  The catalyst has a new number & the owner of my paint supplier will not be back for another week & I can get numbers from him then.  Same for the lacquer thinner equivalent for 3608S (not available in California). 
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here