News:

• April 24, 2024, 01:51:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Litl Elle kit  (Read 6152 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak Litl Elle kit
« on: February 05, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »
While browsing Brodak's web I noticed this stunning kit. I did a search and see it's a John Miller design from 09. I was just curious about what reactions there are about the kit, engines used, not to concerned about flying ( I'm sure it fly's better than I can ). maybe some pictures of other's planes.. I really like the looks and I see he was thinking of a 15 but guessing the Brodak 25 would be great ( and they are available) .

Thanks
Leester
ama 830538

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak Litl Elle kit
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 03:22:39 PM »
This one! One of those new Enya .15's would be good. Seems small for a .25. I wonder what John had in his. Does Stalker make a .15 or .25?
 ;) Steve

http://brodak.com/litl-elle-kit.html
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 03:28:34 PM »
By the search he was looking at the Magnum 15 XLS ??
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 03:36:32 PM »
I haven't seen the details of the Brodak kit but John's original drawing had different spans for the wing and tailplane to suit .15, .20 and .25 engines.

I laser cut one before the drawings were released—it's not finished, too busy working, flying, crashing and repairing HB~>—and decided to use FP 20/25 bearer spacing and the largest wing and tailplane. I intend to start with an FP 20 safe in the knowledge that if the 20 isn't up to it, the 25 drops straight in.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »
Yes, I might have been the first one to get a set of John's drawings.  I was going to build the .15 size off the plans for myself and my Grandson to use.  Cancer got in the way!  I still want to build one and might bump up to the middle size now....

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dave Gardner

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
  • AMA 717
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 07:37:42 PM »
John's plans show OS 15 CV or Magnum 15.....not sure what he used for a prototype.....if there was one!

Actually, it's a good size airplane for a good .15......350-400 in² and <20 oz is a good combination....on 58ft of .012's....(by the book you can use .008 under 24 oz! :o)

I've flown a 20oz El Diablo with a .15FP on 60'x.012....and had a great time!   (gentle winds, please!)

Dave G.
Dave G.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 07:43:14 PM »
John Miller has mentioned to me that this plane would be great for, and easily adapted to a good 20-25, LA, FP ect.

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 07:15:32 AM »
The more I see it the more I'm tempted to buy it. I can't believe no one has built or bought the kit !! or there in a cave and don't look at Stunthangar  LL~
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Russ Main

• 2016 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 10:09:36 AM »
I just bought one. I liked the looks of it and have a engine sitting around. I haven't started it but looks like it will be fun to build and fly.
Russ

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 10:21:18 AM »
Very Pathfinder-like.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 12:13:33 PM »
Looks like a "Vector" with a forward canopy to me. ;D

Jerry

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 04:24:36 PM »
Randy's correct. Lit'l Elle started out as Little (Pathfinder) LE. H^^

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 11:43:12 AM »
Yes, The Little Elle began life as a Pathfinder derivative. Gordan said, no more Pathfinder designs after the LE.. The L.E. stands Last Edition, but there were designs already on my board. One was the very competitive Pathfinder Twin.

John Brodak asked me if I could draw up some smaller designs, for sport and competition. I dd the jr. Nobler, the Peacemaker, and several other OT, and Classic designs, hich were ones he wanted. When it came to modern designs, I turned to the Little Elle. It was already drawn up, and since I liked the way my big L.E. flies and handles, it was easy to first l look to the PF L.E. design reduced to the size for .15-.25ci wet power.  

Gordan had already told me the there was to  be no more Pathfinder designs, so I tried to bring together some of my favorite designs, in a pleasing marriage or blending. That's where the Little Elle begins.

The fuselage is very close to the Pathfinder L.E.. The wing is very close to the All American Eagle, from the Novi series by Dave Gierke. The wing is a version of an I-Beam style, that Dave had used for his last Novi versions. I changed it's main beam to an actual I-Beam. The wing is very sturdy and strong.

The airfoil Is my favorite modified 6 digit NACA  airfoil. NA63A modified.

The stab and elevator is sized at about 20% with a bit more stab area than elevator.  

Due to the reduced size I liked the tail dragger landing gear and  raked the mains back, for some help with the mounting, and, I liked he way it looks.

I stayed very close to a proven set of numbers, that I knew should work well.

To work with power that varied from .15 through  .25 size. I included a rib spacing gauge that allows the builder to easily increase the wing area for the larger engines.

I hope you will enjoy building, and flying. this great smaller design.

John Miller

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 01:53:24 PM »
Thanks for the Great information John. I just received a new 25 FPS and have just about convinced myself to get one !! Any comments on the 25 FPS as the engine ??
Leester
ama 830538

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 04:28:36 PM »
I would be afraid to build one.  Most of those ribs would be broken several times and in several places before it was ready to cover.  I-beamers are nice to look at, but a challenge.

FC
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 05:46:07 PM »
Thanks for your questions.  First, the OS .25fps would be great, and I 'd use the modifications for the larger wing. There're three sizes available by using the included rib spacing jigs. Both the OS.20fp, and the .25fp are good engines, if you choose a larger engine size.

Floyd my friend, I would agree with you to some degree on I-Beam designs, but the beauty of Gierke's wing design is the strength of the rib types he used.  Please take a look at the plans posted earlier. Notice the ribs. they are designed so the entire rib slides on to the I-Beam, as one piece. There are jig pieces that set the spacing, and help support the rib while each rib is placed on the beam. It makes a much stronger wing than the normal I-Beam, with only a small increase in weight.

I hope this information is helpful,  and thanks for the interest.

John Miller

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 10:27:59 PM »
John, how could this old man forget this design.  May have to pick one up while at Brodaks this year.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 04:23:18 PM »
Well I gave in to the temptations and bought the kit this morning ( they also shipped today) I have a FP20 also. So now I can decide which engine to use  y1 y1 y1 Starting to get the itch back  #^ #^ #^ OBTW I also got a 4 oz plastic tank as that's what the plans show..not sure if a 3oz ATF would have been ok  ??? ???.. but the Sullivan tank was half the cost of the metal one.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 11:15:02 PM »
I would be afraid to build one.  Most of those ribs would be broken several times and in several places before it was ready to cover.  I-beamers are nice to look at, but a challenge.

FC

Nah...I beamers are easy.  This one has a lot more ribs in it and none were broken in the process.

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 08:52:33 AM »
Yeah, John's and Gierke ribs are not true I beam ribs.   Yes the wing has an I beam but a true I beam you assemble either the top side or bottom side of the wing.   If you really want fun build the Sheeks Staggerwing.   Especially when you have to double and triple some ribs.   I don't remember breaking any ribs while assembly the planes.   And Leester the laser cutting will spoil you.    I had to make a jig to cut my I beam ribs.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 04:30:23 PM »
Recieved the the kit today, everything looks Fantastic !!! Once I figure out the Windows 10 and how to reduce the picture size I'll do a review .
Leester
ama 830538

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 08:11:23 PM »
Congratulations on your choice.

Let me urge you to carefully read the construction guide, before starting your build. It's not a difficult build,  but there are some areas that may use possible unfamiliar construction techniques.

I'd be happy to help out when and wear you may need it. Enjoy the build, and I'm looking forward to seeing your finished plane.  #^

John Miller

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 09:35:30 PM »
Hi Big Bro John!

I am settled on the "middle" size for now with the FP20!  I think it will be an awesome performer!!  I "won" a Dan the Dirt special .20FP in a contest several years ago so how can I go wrong???  And my 9 YO Grandsons will rapidly improve with a model of that potential!!

Thanks John,
Bill  !!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here