News:

• April 25, 2024, 12:01:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bill Rutherford passed away at five this morning  (Read 6877 times)

Offline Al Rabe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Bill Rutherford passed away at five this morning
« on: December 30, 2016, 10:12:14 AM »
Bill was my best friend for the past fifty years. We both lived in Dallas and flew stunt in the mid sixties.  Bill spent his earlier years as an airline mechanic.  When times were tough we both worked for years in Saudia Arabia, Bill as a corporate pilot, while I was at Saudia. Until recently Bill ran a fixed base maintenance facility in Houston.  Bill loved airplanes.  He worked on them, flew them, and even built an RV-6 which he flew for years and leaves behind another RV half finished.  Bill was also an author.  He wrote a full length adventure novel, "Suliman's Harem" based on his years living in Saudia Arabia.

Bill built and flew stunt, not just recently, but for more than fifty years placing third in NATs Open Stunt in 1962.  We'll all miss him at the circle.

Bill had specific plans to visit me this month.  We would have eaten, hoisted a few, talked a lot, built some and, weather permitting, maybe flown some stunt.  Bill didn't make it.

Al

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 02:44:05 PM by Al Rabe »

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »
:(  Fly high Bill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
Re: Bill Rutherford passed away at five this morning
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 10:22:38 AM »
So Sorry to hear.....Thank you for telling us about Bill.....
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 10:30:59 AM »
Very sad news.   A friend who will be sorely missed.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 10:35:36 AM »
Life is fragile and sometimes unpredictable such as this. I feel lucky to have known Bill. Watching him through the years work with his grandson, coaching him to become a very formidable flyer, was to me; inspirational. I remember when Bill flew into our airport at Camden.  I got a real "hoot" out of giving him a tour of the aviation school I was teaching at and the aircraft repair shop that my son and I own and operate. He built beautiful models that were expertly flown. I remember the first time I saw him fly, ( I was a beginner) it was in Baton Rouge. He was flying his Mustang. When he made his landing; it was a wheel landing...no bounce...tail wheel off of the pavement...allowing it to ease down to three point...just like a full scale. That impressed the hell out of me. You will be missed Bill...God's Speed.
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 11:00:10 AM »
Bill was a good guy, I enjoyed his company greatly.  Attached photo taken at VSC 2014 with Bart Klapinski

I will cherish the autographed and in-scripted copy of his novel, "Suliman's Harem" Bill presented to me a few years ago.

Jim Hoffman
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:23:08 AM by Jim Hoffman »

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »
What a loss. Our prayers go out for Bill.

Attached is a wonderful picture of John D'Ottavio and Bill Rutherford that I took at the Dallas contest Sept. 2001. Sadly they are now both gone, but not forgotten.
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 11:44:44 AM »
Another of my heroes gone.  I don't know but I always referred to him as grandpa Bill.  Maybe it was because of his grand son.  I remember the Mustang being flown at what used to be the Swope Park Flying Circle in KCMo.   He wasone of the greatest. :( :'(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 12:29:42 PM »
I met Bill a few years ago at the Nats. I was practicing for beginner when Bill came over after seeing I was struggling. My practice plane was way out of trim and with no weight box got he grabbed a glob of red clay and put some on the wing. After some great coaching and giving me a business card telling me if I needed anything to give him a call. The clay is still on the wing and I am planning on flying it on Sunday. Bill will be missed.
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 12:38:56 PM »
A multi talented great Gentleman has passed.  Bill will be missed I'm sure in many communities as well as the Modeling family.

Fair winds, sunshine, and tight lines to you Bill!

Hope we can one day all be together again beyond the Rainbow!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Terry Bentley

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 01:14:51 PM »
Sorry to hear that. I didn't know him but any time you loose a friend it is hard. RIP

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 02:45:40 PM »
Bill was my best friend for the past fifty years. We both lived in Dallas and flew stunt in the mid sixties.  Bill spent his earlier years as an airline mechanic.  When times were tough we both worked for years in Saudia Arabia, Bill as a corporate pilot, while I was at Saudia. Until recently Bill ran a fixed base maintenance facility in Houston.  Bill loved airplanes.  He worked on them, flew them, and even built an RV-6 which he flew for years and leaves behind another RV half finished.  Bill was also an author.  He wrote a full length adventure novel, "Suliman's Harem" based on his experience in Saudia Arabia.

Bill built and flew stunt, not just recently, but for more than fifty years placing third in NATs Open Stunt in 1962.  We'll all miss him at the circle.

Bill had specific plans to visit me this month.  We would have eaten, hoisted a few, talked a lot, built some and, weather permitting, maybe flown some stunt.  Bill didn't make it.

This is devastating news (for several reasons). Bill was one of my absolutely favorite model airplane guys, and that's saying something.  Phil said it in another thread, he was a *kind* man and made a difference to the people around him. He always made you feel like you were his best friend.

This week has been WAY too much for me to deal with, I am just numb.

Brett

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 04:01:17 PM »
A very sad day for the people that knew Bill well...which probably seems like everyone with whom he ever shook hands.  He was just that kind of guy.  As will we all, I'll miss him immensely.

Several have already mentioned his joy at teaching, flying with and coaching his grandson, Ryan Young.  I was very fortunate in that I served as a subordinate team Captain for Bill Lee (primarily as a coach to the F2B squad) in Hungary for the 2010 World Championships.  Ryan was the Junior member of our USA team that year and, as all would expect, Grandpa Bill was right alongside him throughout the competition.

What a thrill it was to watch as the week progressed as Ryan--initially unknown to the International group of judges--catapulted from "in the pack" to "in contention" to, ultimately winning the whole thing becoming a "World Champion" right before the eyes of the guy most responsible for grooming him for that role.  I took the attached photo of a Champion and his Coach shortly after the winning score was posted.  The coach's tears may not be visible but, trust me, they were there, hidden behind the sun glasses and just above a lip that quivered while trying gamely to smile.

That was a "Bill Rutherford" moment in spades.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 04:19:55 PM by Ted Fancher »

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 04:05:43 PM »
 Our prayers to the family. He will be missed.
 Gene

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »
Wow, this really bums me out! Not only was Bill a great builder and flyer, but
he was also a great Granddad to Ryan. Bill was one of my favorite guys to hang
out with at local contests or the Nats. He was always smiling and cuttin' up. He
possessed a great sense of humor.

Godspeed Bill, you'll be missed.
Steve

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 06:11:54 PM »
Sad news.  I posted comments above ("In memory of our friends".)
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 04:59:02 AM »
I'm at a loss for words. As many before me have already posted, Bill was an incredible guy and I will certainly miss seeing and talking to him. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Bill's family, especially Ryan.

Godspeed Bill!

Derek

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 08:31:10 AM »
So sad to read about this, not a good way to start off the day.
Bill and I have happy stories from the Nats in Muncie that I'll treasure for ever. We all will miss a great modeler but even more a class act of a man.
I know God holds Bill in His care. I plan on seeing you again Bill.

Blessings to all the family and friends.
"Rev".

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 08:40:10 AM »
Shocked!  As many others have said, great guy, fun to be with.

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 10:04:38 AM »
Very sad news.  Heart felt condolences to the family.

Chris and Joan Cox

Offline Linda Brainard

• AMA Member
  • New Pilot
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 03:34:27 PM »
I am truly sorry to hear Bill has passed away. He was a lot of fun to hang out with at contests. I first met him at the Tulsa contest. He told me that if I ever came down to a Dallas contest he would give me an airplane. I never made it down. The last contest I saw him at was VSC in 2014.  The picture that Jim Hoffman posted of Bill, Bart & Bill's airplane the Caprice, that airplane is hanging up in our shop. Bill gave me that take-apart airplane, engine & all.  I was shocked & tried to tell him that was too nice of an airplane for him to give to a beginner flyer. He would not take it back.  Our prayers are with his family at this time.

Linda Brainard
A forever grateful friend

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 01:13:42 AM »
I'm very sad to here of Bill's passing. I only met him a couple times - at VSC 14 first, where he was very kind to me, a complete stranger. He and Al were most tolerant, and I remember Bill asking me to hold, while he twisted his flaps, which scared the [whatever] out of me at the time. He seemed to just accept all other enthusiasts, regardless of how humble. I certainly have enjoyed reading about him over the years and, Al, I especially saddened that you have lost your friend.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »
When I heard of Bill's passing I was in the midst of the worst case of the flu I've had in my life. I just was not up to commenting here feeling as poorly as I did. The news about Bill certainly didn't help my situation; being extremely sick and extremely sad at the same time was rough...

Okay, Bill. I first met Bill Rutherford at the 1974 Nats in Lake Charles, Louisiana. He was flying his gorgeous rendition of Al Rabe's Mustang. There are certain people you meet in life who instantly become lifelong friends. Jim Kostecky was one for me, and Bill was another. I suspect that many feel this way about Bill. He had a way of getting into your heart right from the get go.

As the years passed by, Bill and I had many phone conversations about modeling subjects, but also discussions about all facets of life, family, faith, and friends. I don't think Bill had any enemies... He did have a ton of brothers.

I last spoke with Bill just a few days before his passing. He seemed to be fine, and, as always, was in great spirits. He always opened with the same line each time he called: "Hey Bobby.” I'll miss hearing that opening phrase from this kind and gentle man.

Guys, we are losing such great people at an alarming rate. There is nothing we can do about that, but we can make efforts to insure that each time we speak with a friend that we leave them knowing just how much we care for and about them.

Godspeed Bill Rutherford; I can picture you setting your "light" Mustang down in the pits with the planes belonging to the likes of Bob Gieseke, Lew McFarland, Roland McDonald, Don Shultz, Don McClave, Allen Brickhaus, Gene Schaffer, John D’Ottavio, Dave Cook, and all the other stunt fliers who have passed from this existence. It may be a long time between flights with so many in line, but just imagine the great stories that will be shared while awaiting your turn on the circle.   

Bob Hunt

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 10:33:25 AM »
RIP. Thanks Al for sharing. May the family find peace in all this.
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 01:03:11 PM »

Snip

I first met Bill Rutherford at the 1974 Nats in Lake Charles, Louisiana. He was flying his gorgeous rendition of Al Rabe's Mustang. There are certain people you meet in life who instantly become lifelong friends. Jim Kostecky was one for me, and Bill was another. I suspect that many feel this way about Bill. He had a way of getting into your heart right from the get go.

Snip

Godspeed Bill Rutherford; I can picture you setting your "light" Mustang down in the pits with the planes belonging to the likes of Bob Gieseke, Lew McFarland, Roland McDonald, Don Shultz, Don McClave, Allen Brickhaus, Gene Schaffer, John D’Ottavio, Dave Cook...

Snip

Bob Hunt

Bob,  The above comments from your thoughtful post (especially the word "...light..." in quotation marks) reminded me of a great story that Bill shared with me several decades ago that I shouldn't tell but do encourage Al Rabe to share about Rabe Mustangs, their weight and the Nats you mentioned (where, IIRC, Bill finished a very competitive third...but don't quote me).  

The story, which I expect you've heard as well, would tell those who didn't know Bill a lot about him, his modeling skills and his sense of humor.

Al?

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2017, 02:01:09 PM »
Bob,  The above comments from your thoughtful post (especially the word "...light..." in quotation marks) reminded me of a great story that Bill shared with me several decades ago that I shouldn't tell but do encourage Al Rabe to share about Rabe Mustangs, their weight and the Nats you mentioned (where, IIRC, Bill finished a very competitive third...but don't quote me).  

The story, which I expect you've heard as well, would tell those who didn't know Bill a lot about him, his modeling skills and his sense of humor.

Al?

Ted, is that the one with the hollow ST?  ;D
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 03:40:42 PM »
Ted, is that the one with the hollow ST?  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Ted

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 06:41:20 PM »
I just ordered a copy of Sulimans Harem since I want to hang out with Bill just one more time.
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 10:05:16 AM »
Guys,

I wish I could offer stories of stunt flying with Bill but, unfortunately, most of my memories of casual events occurring before 2010 were lost when I got run over crossing the street.  Since then, I saw Bill two or three times a year, mostly around the airport having lunches and talking about my proficiency checks in his Cessna 150, airplanes and family in general  We didn't talk much about models. I thought that I had no photos of Bill until my wife pointed to one on the wall that Bill sent.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 02:48:28 PM by Al Rabe »

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2017, 11:27:04 AM »
Met Bill at VSC. Good guy and I will miss him.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
Here's a picture of Bill and Ryan, after the finals, at the Chocolate Moose in Farmland Indiana. (July 2011)
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »
Hate seeing these icons of our sport/hobby leave us.  It is so nice however to read the memories people share even though I never met him. 

Offline Charles Carter

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Flying Control Line Stunt
    • Flying Control Line Stunt
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 10:11:18 AM »
I never met Bill Rutherford but I enjoyed watching him interact with Windy Urtnowski on Windy's videos.  He was an accomplished builder and flyer and he appeared to be very open and coachable as Windy was helping him at the Nats with his Legacy's hourglass.  On a another video Bill's grandson Ryan had been helping Bill with the construction of a model airplane and I quess he help so much that in the end Bill took the position that it was no longer Bill's plane but Ryan's instead.  I believe that Bill really wanted that plane but just did the right thing.  It is sad  to hear about his passing.

Charles Carter

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 08:12:32 AM »

Al Rabe and others,

I need Bill's address as my wife and I would like to send a sympathy card to the family.
  Thanks, Gil Causey
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 08:35:59 AM »

Bill's address is:

Bill Rutherford
8206 Brinkworth Ln
Houston, TX
77070-3248

B727willie@aol.com

Al

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2017, 09:22:17 AM »

Thanks Al, I appreciate the info..Gil
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Stuntflyn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2017, 06:48:39 PM »
Wayne, Sam and I send our condolences to Bill's family. We all had so much fun when we got to the Nat's. Sam and Ryan were close enough in age to compete against each other on occasion and it was like we were all one family having fun. Bill would give you the shirt off his back, it was just the kind of guy he was. When Sam and Ryan had success, I'm not sure I have ever seen two more proud Grandpa's than Bill and Wayne. Such good memories.

Bill will be missed by us and most everyone who knew him, but we will always cherish and honor him in our memories.

Jim Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here