News:

• April 26, 2024, 04:10:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Big News!! Chip Hyde is Flying CL Stunt-New Design  (Read 10774 times)

Offline proparc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Big News!! Chip Hyde is Flying CL Stunt-New Design
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »
Chip Hyde of RC fame is flying Stunt!! He has hooked up with our own Ray Firkins and is Rockin the circles. Check out this link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11285040/tm.htm
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:36:04 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Big News!! Chip Hyde is Flying CL Stunt-New Design
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »
That is absolutely fantastic!  Sounds like Chip has hooked-up with the right people.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 03:50:55 PM »
Who else to get as a coach than the three he mentioned.   I only know of one guy that bad mouthed CL stunt after he flew one of my better planes during a break at a RC fun fly.   I guess this reinforces my reasons for hanging up the RC planes even tho it was easier to go fly.   Tell Chip, I will look for him in the winners list of CL stunt.   I know he did about everything in RC and was a winner ever since I first seen a picture of the kid many years ago. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 05:42:18 PM »
Yes, he did sound hooked...
Several of our club members fly RC, they've invited me many times to go and learn it, but, gee, I can't...
CL gives you the feeling of what is going on all the time, RC you just watch it.
I mean, I know lots of people love RC and I really like to see the guys flyin' them, but i don't think I would do it.
Anyway, that is a great report.

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »
This is huge. Bob Redmon, Tim Tipton, I, and several others were R/C pattern flyers. I think Tim still does along with controline. I can understand that feeling that Chip talks about, as I remember when I started flying controline again in 94. I was hooked too. I remember going to the NATS in the early 80's, when Bob Hunt was just getting started in R/C pattern.
Jim Kraft

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 12:11:20 AM »
When I came back into the hobby I had my Futaba six channel working. But guys, let me tell you, all I could think about when I ws flying my RC ship was "I sure wish I could get my hands on it"!!

RC is a lot of fun but, having your hands on that plane is sure tough to beat. I have some of my own designed RC ships cooked up for the future, but my main thing was and still is, my CL stunt. Nothing beats my stunt-nothing. y1
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 03:44:02 AM »
Milton,
I was about to post the RCU link, but you beat me to it!
A real thoroughbred entering the Stunt circles!
This is great... <=

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 04:41:47 AM »
Very cool.

Derek
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:53:28 AM by Derek Barry »

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 06:02:46 AM »
I talk to Bob Hunt very frequently and he is excited about Chip coming to Cl stunt. Chip is progressing so fast that he will be in Expert in no time.

Chip has the very best of coaching available. It is exciting to hear it Chip own words. I hope he will also come to the Stunt Hanger because we can all benefit from his experiences.

This will also spur more interest in ClL by RC pattern flyers. With this and the interest developed at the Recent JOe Nall event, our future looks brighter.

A very sincere welcome to Chip. I hope that I can meet you soon.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:25:22 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 09:18:13 AM »
Milton,
I was about to post the RCU link, but you beat me to it!
A real thoroughbred entering the Stunt circles!
This is great... <=

I know you hang out there also Claudio because of you posts about the "canalizer". I think you like the big pretty F3A ships like I do. I will hit you with a pic of a new RC pattern ship in just a bit as soon as I find it. 
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 09:27:46 AM »
Claudio,

This is for you. This is pics of ex World Champ,Somenzini's new Splendor. He is back in the game. Check this out, the ship has split ailerons!! And retracting side top and bottom fins. It can change its side area in flight!!

Supposedly, its a game changer.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 10:04:04 AM »
Chip Hyde of RC fame is flying Stunt!! He has hooked up with our own Ray Firkins and is Rockin the circles. Check out this link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11285040/tm.htm

We enjoyed very much having Chip here in Tucson for a few days.  He's a great guy and very unassuming for all his accomplishments.  He's a very talented fellow and after flying with him here in Tucson for a week I'm convinced that he will eventually make the team and perhaps even become a world champion in CL one day.  He's very determined.
The SV11 in the photo is the ARF I put together as a test bed for the OS55AX I described in the Engine Tips forum here.  Both now belong to Chip and he flys it very well.  It will make a good practice plane for him to further his CL skills.  The 55AX is a really good match for this airplane and runs very well with the changes I described earlier.
Chip has improved the appearance of the airplane somewhat since I gave it to him...
The airplane was trimmed by me and none other than RJ Whitely...Chip uses it very well and learned very fast.  He absorbs coaching like a sponge.  It's not difficult to understand why He has become a world champion in many aspects of RC after spending a few days with him.
I sincerely hope he will find the time to come back and fly with us again.

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 10:47:09 AM »
This is incredible!!  Hopefully Chip does stick with it as it sounds like he does!!!!

Matt Colan

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »
Claudio,

This is for you. This is pics of ex World Champ,Somenzini's new Splendor. He is back in the game. Check this out, the ship has split ailerons!! And retracting side top and bottom fins. It can change its side area in flight!!

Supposedly, its a game changer.

Ahhh...Quique Somenzini. The absolute best RC pilot Argentina will EVER have, and one of the best Top Five pilots in the world. A truly gifted pilot and better person. We lost him as a team member a few years ago...an irreparable loss. We have very good RC pilots today but they are waaaaay behind him.
Concerning Quique's new plane...what can I say...It looks AWESOME! Split ailerons and retractable fins?! Talk about cutting edge technology!

Thanks for posting, Milt.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 03:54:54 PM »
So, whatever happened to that Chip Hyde fella? Did he give up on PA, or has he persevered? I expected to see him make the Top 20 at the NATS, but I don't believe he did. Or was he flying an ARF and flying a PAMPA skill class? 

This topic showed up in the lower margin of the page for some reason, and I dared to crick on it!
 H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 04:13:47 PM »
So, whatever happened to that Chip Hyde fella? Did he give up on PA, or has he persevered? I expected to see him make the Top 20 at the NATS, but I don't believe he did. Or was he flying an ARF and flying a PAMPA skill class? 

This topic showed up in the lower margin of the page for some reason, and I dared to crick on it!
 H^^ Steve

Steve, I am with you.  Am I the one on the planet who never heard of this man?  Sounds like he was the second coming of control line. 

Mike

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 06:34:19 PM »
Steve, I am with you.  Am I the one on the planet who never heard of this man?  Sounds like he was the second coming of control line. 

Mike

Chip Hyde won National level RC Championships when he was 11 years old.  He has won International Championships in Pattern, Racing and Helicopter.  He has accumulated probably more National level and International Championships than any other individual.  He tells part of his story at:

https://nsrca.us/index.php/d7-pilots-of-the-month/627-july-2014-chip-hyde

Chip Hyde came to the CL circles several years ago. 

You also might read his account on his venture into CLPA that is included in the attachment in the first post of this thread.

After a bit of coaching, he entered several contests, flying in the Expert category and made a respectable showing.  One of the contests he attended was the Golden State Championships.  That can be a sobering experience for anyone regardless of how good you are.  He knew what round loops were supposed to look like and he had no fear of the ground.  He had a goal of making the US Team for world competition.  He had the talent and drive to do that.  He had several projects for CL being planned, but then sort of dropped out of the CL circles.

Keith

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 07:29:16 PM »
Chip is now flying F3K.

He seems to enjoy new challenges.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »

What's F3K?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 08:03:08 PM »
Chip is now flying F3K.

He seems to enjoy new challenges.

Thank you for the background Keith.  I know nothing about RC or the top guns that participate in it. 

Mike

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 08:04:27 PM »

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 09:28:50 PM »
He also posted that he was flying his new slope plane, I think its set for Dynamic slope soaring? which is where they fly slope lift and by the way they fly they generate tremendous speeds, last number I heard was aproaching 400 mph?? no fact checking, just what I recall hearing
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 05:19:01 AM »
R/C doesn't have a builder of the model rule, does it?
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline George Grossardt

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 10:01:22 AM »
h

And...?

This whole BOTM thing is interesting.  I like nostalgia as much as anyone but come on.

I am an avid cyclist and have a custom bike built by one of the best builders in the world.  even he says it's just a tool to be used for riding.  In bike racing, the best riders could ride just about anything and win.  Doesn't matter if it's a custom bike or an off the shelf, made in the Far East bike.

So why is building the end all, be all?  And if you don't want to build you're "not doing it right" or "not a modeler".

George

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 10:27:49 AM »
I am an avid cyclist and have a custom bike built by one of the best builders in the world.  even he says it's just a tool to be used for riding.  In bike racing, the best riders could ride just about anything and win.  Doesn't matter if it's a custom bike or an off the shelf, made in the Far East bike.

AMA CLPA Rules, Paragraph 1:

1. Applicability. These rules specify the requirements and judging criteria for Control Line Precision Aerobatics. This is a subjectively-judged event combining modeling craftsmanship skills and the precise and accurate execution of prescribed aerobatic maneuvers.  All pertinent AMA regulations (see sections titled Sanctioned Competition, Records, Selection of Champions, and General) and the Control Line rules shall apply, except as specified below._

That can of course be changed if you can convince people, but the desire for the BOM has been consistently 80% + in favor of retaining it.

You analogy is utterly missing the point, this event *is not* and *never has been* entirely about flying skills, and that is what people want, overwhelmingly.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 10:33:50 AM »
h

And...?

This whole BOTM thing is interesting.  I like nostalgia as much as anyone but come on.

So why is building the end all, be all?  And if you don't want to build you're "not doing it right" or "not a modeler".

George

Oh God, not this debate again.  The short story is that there's a lot of folks who choose to fly CLPA because the builder of the model rule is still active.  If you don't want to build your own models, then fly PAMPA classes locally, and if you're good enough, fly at the FAI team trials on odd years.  And if you're REALLY good enough, fly the world's on even years.

But note that the top 10 at the worlds is predominantly made up of folks who built their own models, even though it's not an FAI requirement, and most of the winners of PAMPA expert-class build their own models, even though it's not a requirement.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but when I'm in the mood it's as fun as tying two cat's tails together and draping them over a fence.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 11:41:28 AM »
Let's not let this thread on Chip Hyde degrade (hijacked really) to the endless diatribe against the BOM.

Keith

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 01:56:13 PM »
Let's not let this thread on Chip Hyde degrade (hijacked really) to the endless diatribe against the BOM led by a vocal minority.

Keith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 01:57:19 PM »
Let's not let this thread on Chip Hyde degrade (hijacked really) to the endless diatribe against the BOM.

Keith

Yes, please no.  One of the most beautiful control line stunt videos on YouTube is one of Chip flying the pattern at dusk.  There's still nothing that I could point to (that I know of) and say "that's the gold standard", although there are some nice ones.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 02:09:02 PM »
Yes, please no.  One of the most beautiful control line stunt videos on YouTube is one of Chip flying the pattern at dusk.  There's still nothing that I could point to (that I know of) and say "that's the gold standard", although there are some nice ones.

Here's Chip at dusk flying an electric Pathfinder.   (Pathfinder kitbashed into a SharkFinder.)  Nice flight.

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 06:20:52 PM »
That looks like the field at Arvin, near Bakersfield.  A really nice field made just for contests.
Chris...

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 06:34:44 PM »
I'm a lifelong R/C flyer and recently back into Stunt. I think it is fantastic to have Chip Hyde amongst us. I'm certain he'll do just fine!....PhillySkip

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 06:37:42 PM »

Yeah,  actually it does in Scale.

Chip is a really good builder so it wouldn't be a factor if he'd wanted to compete in Stunt, he would've built his own well and competitively.

I've never seen such action on a 6 year old thread. Oh, BOM! Ha!

Chris...

Offline George Grossardt

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 07:54:01 PM »
Oh God, not this debate again.  The short story is that there's a lot of folks who choose to fly CLPA because the builder of the model rule is still active.  If you don't want to build your own models, then fly PAMPA classes locally, and if you're good enough, fly at the FAI team trials on odd years.  And if you're REALLY good enough, fly the world's on even years.

But note that the top 10 at the worlds is predominantly made up of folks who built their own models, even though it's not an FAI requirement, and most of the winners of PAMPA expert-class build their own models, even though it's not a requirement.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but when I'm in the mood it's as fun as tying two cat's tails together and draping them over a fence

It's not a debate.  If you want to build, then build.  If you don't, then don't. My only point is some folks believe that you are somehow inferior if you don't build.  Personally, I get enjoyment out of building.  But I am not going to degrade someone that just wants to fly an ARF, ARC or a model built by someone else.  I personally could care less about the BOTM rule either way.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 08:10:06 PM »
It's not a debate.  If you want to build, then build.  If you don't, then don't. My only point is some folks believe that you are somehow inferior if you don't build.  Personally, I get enjoyment out of building.  But I am not going to degrade someone that just wants to fly an ARF, ARC or a model built by someone else.  I personally could care less about the BOTM rule either way.

You *COULD* care less???  How much less?  Or did you mean that you could *Not* care less?  Big difference in meaning.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2017, 08:14:51 PM »
And I was just wondering what happened to his stunt program. I guess he's easily distracted?

It's all fun. I quit flying R/C when I was a Sr. in HS. Prior to that, flew R/C, CL & FF. Then I entered my first contest (FF), and second contest (CL).  S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2017, 08:28:44 PM »
You *COULD* care less???  How much less?  Or did you mean that you could *Not* care less?  Big difference in meaning.
====================================
People often mix that one up.  Pi$$-poor command of the English language.

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 12:54:44 AM »
Chip is a very nice guy and is used to winning since he was very young.  However I think he thought winning at CL Stunt was going to be fairly easy for him and in spite of his talent he had a long way to go to get into scoring range of the "Big Boys".

I'm certainly not saying that he couldn't do it, I believe he probably could...but I think it would take him a lot longer than he thought and probably just decided that it wasn't worth the effort for him...at least not at this time!

It takes scores in the high 500's to low 600's to be competitive at the big contests today.  That's not easy for anyone and takes a trememdous amount of dedication and desire.  Maybe he just wasn't willing to do that right now!

I recently watched what I consider to be the best CL Stunt flier in the world struggle for several days to trim and prepare an airplane to fly in a contest that was built by someone else.  The airplane for all practical purposes was unflyable at his level but his determination and knowledge and skill actually did get the airplane in a trim that could be flown without embarrassment if not at a winning level in that contest!  My point is that that gentleman is a many times national and world champion and he showed the kind of determination it takes to compete at that level. 

No he couldn't win with that airplane (especially when giving up appearance points), but he didn't give up and actually made a good showing.  Most of us do not have that capability or determination or skill set.  I think it might have been a rude awakening for Mr hyde to realize that after attempting a couple of stunt contests and so he went back to what he knew he could win at!

The Gentleman in my story is, of course, Mr. Paul Walker.   

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 07:21:39 AM »

No one "degrading" anyone. The rules say exactly what is required and exactly what the event is supposed to be about. It's been that way since the inception, and it has never been otherwise for at least 65 years. The point of the event is to build your own airplane and then compete with it, period. Over and over the participants have indicated that this is exactly how they want it to be.

We are quite intentionally trying to make flying for a National Championship fundamentally different from activities like bike riding, tennis, golf, where you go buy something, then kill time on a Sunday afternoon with no commitment. It's no accident, it's is a clear decision, we understand the argument, but don't buy it.

And it certainly is a debate. Starting about 15 years ago, there has been a concerted effort by people who want to be commercial builders and their minions to spin up the BOM argument. The purpose is to make it possible to custom-build hideously expensive models for rich people to fly at the NATs. That makes a terrible arguing point, so what they do instead is to talk about "access" and "inclusiveness" for Joe Bellcrank. Joe Bellcrank has been able to fly any model they want from any source since 1974, aside from National Championship. But it makes a better argument because no one actually cares about their real goal.

The ARF/ARC/RTF/OPP pilots, while still a small fraction of the participants, are always welcome at local and regional contests and are not discriminated against in any way other than appearance points.  They don't deserve scoring credit for building their airplane but that is only, at most, 20 points out of 635 or something like that and it doesn't make any consequential difference  in the results at local contests. So, aside from the National Championships, no one is excluded. You can use your analogy (buying an airplane and competing with it) at any contest in the world ASIDE from the National Championship. And in fact, we even (questionably in my opinion) have Advanced class at the NATs, so you can become "Advanced National Champion" with a bought airplane at each and every NATs. You get to stand out there with the Junior, Senior, and Open Top5 winners and get a large perpetual trophy.

I would also note that CLPA is one of the few competition events that has retained the BOM and maintained participation. Most of the other CL events have dropped the BOM to "enhance participation" and either because of in spite of that, still ground to a halt. Same with RC for the most part. Ted Fancher and I did a single NATS practice session in 2007, down on the grass pad at Muncie, while the ENTIRE Fast Combat event was run. With *3* entrants, a double-elimination contest (or maybe triple) took about 2 hours from start to finish.

So this debate is spun up every couple of months, and the die-hard anti-modeling/buy and fly types jump in and sputter and make specious emotional arguments. In this case, you may have inadvertently stepped into this suspicious brown substance, but it is most certainly a debate, it is very heated at times and certainly has NOTHING to do with the general topic of this thread.

There are plenty of other threads about BOM, might want to review those to gauge the level of anger present, then decide for yourself whether you have a new take on the topic that in some way addresses the counter-arguments.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 07:43:44 AM »
Chip is a very nice guy and is used to winning since he was very young.  However I think he thought winning at CL Stunt was going to be fairly easy for him and in spite of his talent he had a long way to go to get into scoring range of the "Big Boys".

I'm certainly not saying that he couldn't do it, I believe he probably could...but I think it would take him a lot longer than he thought and probably just decided that it wasn't worth the effort for him...at least not at this time!

You probably spent more time at the field with him than I did, but I never got the impression that he thought it would be "easy". To the contrary, I think he realized how difficult it was (to compete with the Pau/David/Orestes of the world) pretty early on. And in fact, he did come up to a very good competitive expert level of flying very quickly. Had he been able to enter Open, I would certainly have expected him to qualify at the NATs, easily, and from what I saw, he was more consistent than many of the other likely contenders so could have been in the mix for Top 5. Certainly he was well-suited from a literal lifetime of high-pressure competition to deal with the biggest hurdle (Top 20 day).

But there's a reason that you have to take on stunt as a lifestyle for decades to get to the very top, and having already done that in RC pattern, I could certainly see how trying to repeat it might be less than appealing. As is obvious, most of the top guys get there in their 40s and 50s, so it's far from over.

It is fundamentally different from the pattern approach, where he was the centerpiece of "Team Chip Hyde" for a long time. While collaboration is common in CLPA (and I have been a small part of one of the most famous and successful collaborations/common efforts ever) it is fundamentally about individual accomplishment.

Chip was/is a great guy to hang around with in the brief time I did, and certainly I would have expected him to be able to master any skill necessary. And it may still happen, it would be great to have him back. But it isn't for everyone, and it doesn't reflect poorly on those who chose to do something different.

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 11:28:26 AM »
Well Chip may be one terrific gentleman, but I have not met him.  But, if he is going to win the big one he better learn to count as I was told to do at VSC one year when I messed up the inverted portion.  In the video he gave away pattern points as well as points on a couple of maneuvers.  But, i'm a nit picker. VD~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 06:02:50 PM »
      You probably spent more time at the field with him than I did, but I never got the impression that he thought it would be "easy". To the contrary, I think he realized how difficult it was (to compete with the Pau/David/Orestes of the world) pretty early on. And in fact, he did come up to a very good competitive expert level of flying very quickly. Had he been able to enter Open, I would certainly have expected him to qualify at the NATs, easily, and from what I saw, he was more consistent than many of the other likely contenders so could have been in the mix for Top 5. Certainly he was well-suited from a literal lifetime of high-pressure competition to deal with the biggest hurdle (Top 20 day).

But there's a reason that you have to take on stunt as a lifestyle for decades to get to the very top, and having already done that in RC pattern, I could certainly see how trying to repeat it might be less than appealing. As is obvious, most of the top guys get there in their 40s and 50s, so it's far from over.

It is fundamentally different from the pattern approach, where he was the centerpiece of "Team Chip Hyde" for a long time. While collaboration is common in CLPA (and I have been a small part of one of the most famous and successful collaborations/common efforts ever) it is fundamentally about individual accomplishment.

Chip was/is a great guy to hang around with in the brief time I did, and certainly I would have expected him to be able to master any skill necessary. And it may still happen, it would be great to have him back. But it isn't for everyone, and it doesn't reflect poorly on those who chose to do something different.

Brett

Brett,
I certainly don't disagree with what you've said.  I think it would be great to have him back in the fold, but think it would take a concerted effort for some time to actually be competitive with the top 10 fliers here in the US let alone throwing the rest of the world in the mix.
I believe he is capable of doing it, but the last time I saw him fly he was still making shape and bottom errors that the likes of the very top guys do not!!
I do believe he could do it, but so far he hasn't shown the kind of dedication to it that would be required or the determination he showed when flying R/C pattern or pylon racing.  I never saw him fly Helicopters but I do know that to win requires the same type of dedication.

After all of his past accomplishments it must be hard to sustain that kind of dedication in another very difficult and different line of competition.

I wish him well and the very best of luck in whatever he decides to do!  I would completely understand if he chooses not to go for the brass ring in CL Stunt.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here