News:

• April 25, 2024, 08:32:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: At the Field. Ohhhhh My Gosh!  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
At the Field. Ohhhhh My Gosh!
« on: September 24, 2016, 02:46:27 PM »
Ohhhhh My Gosh!

I actually got my Pathfinder in the air again this morning. I decided to head north to the flying field and see my flying mates.

No one holds my Nicon, so I'm the guy with the camera.

It's hot, really hot in Florida, so the turn out wasn't grand, just great!

Dennis and Lyn.

Dennis taught me everything I know and Lyn smokes a pipe. Yes I know, makes no sense but ya gotta wright something.  ;D

I had a great time even though I broke a prop.

Oh, the photos aren't posed, I caught both of them by surprise.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Charles

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 06:30:31 AM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: At the Field. Ohhhhh My Gosh!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 04:01:27 PM »
How did your flying go? Do you do the whole pattern, or some of it? I encourage folks to do A pattern, because then you'll not be running out of fuel in the OH8 or something silly like that. Planes will live longer!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 04:08:57 PM »
How did your flying go? Do you do the whole pattern, or some of it? I encourage folks to do A pattern, because then you'll not be running out of fuel in the OH8 or something silly like that. Planes will live longer!  y1 Steve

Or in my case...don't keep flying additional stunts after the pattern... I resemble that remark about silly maneuvers and planes living longer...
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 04:38:44 PM »
Notice, please, that I wrote "A pattern". Doesn't have to be THE pattern, or the Beginner Pattern, or the OTS Pattern. Just going out there and making chit up will eventually lead to brain fade and indecison at a critical time. If you do THE pattern and know for a fact that you have fuel to do a couple of outsides to unwind your lines, go for it. If you're not sure, fly level. I don't think it makes sense to do anything after the pattern for an official flight, but there are some that do it. I'd rather concentrate on a great entry into a good glide path, into as good a landing as I can manage. Trying to manage the best I can, with my limited ability.   

For example, I've watched PTG fly many laps, very high, appearing to be praying, not looking at the plane at all until the engine coughs. I asked him why he did that. He said that he crashed once doing tricks on an official after the pattern, and won't take the risk again. He flies better than I do, so I figured I'd learn from his example.

I'm afraid this has become a bit of "thread drift", but maybe it's also on topic. Charles' thread; he can decide.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 04:48:50 PM »

a stop watch ,when playing will tell u how much time u have left. we had a flyer that lost more than one plane playing around at the end of a flight, .the watch took care of it
rad racer

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 05:27:13 PM »
I don't care if the thread drifts, I'm used to it. LL~ LL~

I couldn't get a good run on the OS LA 46 today, actually losing RPM intermittently. This engine I purchased used on ebay, but it has run better than today. It was getting to hot to fuss with it on the ground.

I brought a Ringmaster that John Stiles sent me as a gift for the ring-a thon, but I couldn't get the old McCoy 35 running.

Still a good morning and nice seeing the guys.

As far as doing stunts when the actual pattern is completed, If I ever get to the point where I can fly a complete pattern, when it's done, it's done.

Thanks for the replies
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 12:38:01 AM »

a stop watch ,when playing will tell u how much time u have left. we had a flyer that lost more than one plane playing around at the end of a flight, .the watch took care of it

True enough. But one then needs to know how long his/her engine will run, and a lot of sport fliers and Beginner class fliers don't know how long their engine runs, making the stopwatch interesting only IF the engine run is steady and consistent, the tank consistently filled correctly, and the engine starts quickly and all that sort of detail stuff.

The watch might also distract them when they really need to be paying more attention to their flying. I remember well checking my stopwatch while flying inverted a few times (no crashes!) before I decided that was a dumb thing to do. I still did some dumb stuff and had overruns during my contests in Beginner, despite years of contest flying in other events. I guess glider towing experience doesn't help a lot?  LL~ Steve

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 04:16:43 PM »

These work quite well unless very noisy, with minute count down until the last minute, then 10 second intervals.

http://www.braillebookstore.com/Talking-Timer-Clock.1

Fred

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 05:38:30 PM »
Congrats Charles on a fun day!

As far as extra stunts after the pattern, it was common for my brother and I to yell "one more loop" from outside the circle when the other was obviously winding down and short on run time.  Had to do one more, of course.  This practice built confidence in timing your tank precisely and improved your ability to run backwards and whip while cussing and also presented an opportunity to learn inverted landings. 

Offline Pat Chewning

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 09:00:07 PM »
Congrats Charles on a fun day!

As far as extra stunts after the pattern, it was common for my brother and I to yell "one more loop" from outside the circle when the other was obviously winding down and short on run time.  Had to do one more, of course.  This practice built confidence in timing your tank precisely and improved your ability to run backwards and whip while cussing and also presented an opportunity to learn inverted landings. 

I did this today (running back while cussing, inverted landing).  Not because of "extra" stunts at the end of the pattern, but because I'm messing with prop and engine stuff and had a shorter run.   No fun at all, but luckily got the lines tight and did a reasonable inverted landing on the grass with no damage.   Lots of luck involved.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 09:40:14 PM »
Good going, Charles. Glad you got some flying time.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here