News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:49:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Event That Charnged the World!  (Read 1552 times)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
An Event That Charnged the World!
« on: May 21, 2017, 07:52:01 PM »
      Ninety years ago today, a tiny little single engine monoplane touched down at Le Bourget Field in Paris, France, after a non stop flight from New York. This single event was one of the first to make the world a lot smaller for all of us. Charles Lindbergh set the stage for many advancements in aviation and also communications. Lindbergh didn't take a radio with him on the flight, but the Trans-Atlantic telegraph cable had been laid by the time the flight was started. Reports of sightings of the airplane as it made land fall at various points along the route were made almost as they happened, and this was the first major event in the history of man that could be followed by those interested as events unfolded. If one were ever to really look into the flight, the machine, the preparations, and what it took to actually fly the trip alone, you can't help by have all the admiration in the world for Lucky Lindy. I think I'll go pop in my copy of "The Spirit of St. Louis and watch it before turning in tonight.
     Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: An Event That Charnged the World!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 08:00:21 PM »

Thanks for the anniversary reminder of that great event Dan.  y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 08:09:54 PM »
Just took the kids to the Smithsonian a few weeks ago.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 10:09:36 PM »
Great movie too with one of my favorites Jimmy Stewart!

The flight was truly an incredible feat!

Notable also that many others tried and failed!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 07:13:05 AM »
 Most people know this but here it is againn. Lindberg was the 19 th person to fly the Atlantic and these two did it eight years before him.
https://www.wired.com/2010/06/0615alcock-brown-fly-atlantic/
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 09:05:47 AM »
It had to take a lot of courage to do what people did back then.  Every thing was new territory back then even with what technology they had.  It is amazing that Lindberg made it. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »
Most people know this but here it is againn. Lindberg was the 19 th person to fly the Atlantic and these two did it eight years before him.

Yes everyone knows that Lindberg made the first SOLO Non-stop Flight across the Atlantic and did it in a single engine flying Gas Can!  There's always someone trying to minimize a great feat!!  I you think it was easy then try it today in a single engine light aircraft!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 12:55:59 PM »

Sure they did, but Lindbergh won the Orteig Prize by flying New York to Paris.  Not launching from further east and dumping the airplane in the first landfall they saw. 

Alcock and Brown did it in a lot less capable airplane than Lindbergh Ryan. They had some real guts. A WWI open cockpit biplane bomber?  Wow

Lindbergh won the prize, did alone, his own way and deserved his fame.  The public went nuts over Lindbergh, and he was famous. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 09:47:49 PM »
I'm amazed (why, I wonder) at how much history is lost or revised as the years pass. On "Jeopardy" within the last two weeks, NO contestant even knew that Lindbergh had soloed across the Atlantic in 1927, even though his heroic flight was recognized as one of the greatest individual accomplishments of the century. It was recognized as a monumental achievement in its time. MANY great things were accomplished in "our" century, but this lonely and dangerous first that connected continents surely ranks high enough to be remembered in history courses for much longer than this. Thanks for the anniversary reminder.

SK

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here