News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:25:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AMA released Wired for Excitement on YouTube! and Marvelous Minatures  (Read 9401 times)

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
I've watched this pry 1000 times over the years.  Never gets old.  This was in Lincoln Nebraska in the early 80's.  My dad Gary Hays participated an a lot of the pics i posted in the AS Time Goes By came from this event.  Some Notables that I know that are in here are Bob Hunt, Les McDonald, Dick Byron, Jim Casale, and Marvin Denny,  Who else is in here that you guys recognize?

Anyone know who is flying at 22:15 mark?

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: AMA released Wired for Excitement on YouTube! and Marvelous Minatures
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 09:20:56 AM »
I see in Wired For Excitement:

Bob Whitely at 40 seconds
Bob Reynolds at 4:10
Pete Mazur at 5:07
Marvin Denny at 21:40

Online mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 09:27:38 AM »
I have never seen this. Very cool, thanks for posting it.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 11:07:15 AM »
I was there and know most of the participants.    There are a few I can't remember their names,  but at 19:46 that had to our own Dave Trible before he went stunt full time.   It is amazing how much the guys changed in appearance through the years.   But, Richard Stubblefield still looks the same.   My son flew his first NATS in carrier and mouse racing.   So many NATS and so many memories.  Thanks for the video.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 12:01:10 PM »
Our club, MCLS , had a display area at a large model and hobby show in Charlotte  NC , around 1991 or so, One item we had to attract modelers was the Wired for excitement video playing on a TV .  We just played it over and over, really hot tired of hearing the video.,

I have not seen the video since then, really enjoyed seeing it again. Thanks for posting
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Online mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 02:08:23 PM »
Veteran combat flyer Ed Brzys of Detroit is seen in the combat segment having a fly-away.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 08:00:52 PM »
"Anyone know who is flying at 22:15 mark?"

Jared, that's the late Roger Barrett.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:46:47 PM by Les McDonald »
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 09:38:16 PM »

GREAT STUFF! Thanks for digging these up Jared!
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 10:07:10 PM »
"Anyone know who is flying at 2215 mark?"

Jared, that's the late Roger Barrett.

Thanks Les, Dad and I have always wondered who that was.  My dad still talks about seeing your black and white Stiletto in Wired For Excitement and that 40 point landing.  It started his love affair with Stiletto's he has 3 now one has a 770 sq inch wingspan.  Is that plane still flying the one in Wired for Excitement?

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 12:23:51 PM »
Thanks Les, Dad and I have always wondered who that was.  My dad still talks about seeing your black and white Stiletto in Wired For Excitement and that 40 point landing.  It started his love affair with Stiletto's he has 3 now one has a 770 sq inch wingspan.  Is that plane still flying the one in Wired for Excitement?

It's a wall decoration in our guest room. No doubt, if I started the engine it would turn to dust!
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 03:01:04 PM »
There is a few seconds of me flying George Cleveland in the combat section of  Wired for Excitement.

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 04:37:39 PM »
It's a wall decoration in our guest room. No doubt, if I started the engine it would turn to dust!

Wow, Still very cool to see that.  I will show my dad!   This plane and Windy's Black and white Sweeper 900 is all my dad ever talks about.

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 05:47:50 PM »

Now that is how you decorate a guest room.

Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 10:30:58 PM »

Les that is still one beautiful design. I can still picture your original O.S. Max .35 NATS winner on display at Orange Blossom Hobbies as a kid.
Great plane. Best wishes.
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 07:03:55 AM »
@Les....

Wow, that is awesome. I thought besides the one Randy has and the one in the museum they were all gone.

Thanks for sharing.

Curt

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
Very nice!!  :)  I sure wish it could be done again, a new video, using the planes and competitors of today! Given all the various various footage from the 2015 NATS taken from the myriad attendees couldn't someone, a videographer, put together a nice compilation commemorative??  Maybe the AMA could enlist a professional for the 2016 NATS compilation commemorative that could be an aid to guide and encourage the upcoming generation!  :)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 10:23:46 AM »
The AMA doesn't even let the locals know there is a NATS going on.  It would take some one like Bobby Hunt or Sparky to make one.   But I bet our Juggler could do it between taping his flights, right Shug.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 02:37:15 PM »
@Les....

Wow, that is awesome. I thought besides the one Randy has and the one in the museum they were all gone.

Thanks for sharing.

Curt

There would still be two more around if my little buddy Pedro Soto hadn't purchased the 700 and the "74" ship.
He wrecked them both in a matter of minutes! The 700 was really pretty much used up but the "74" ship only had one season on it, flew really well and I begged him to not fly it because I knew what would happen.
(I love Pedro but I always insisted on "cash up front!")

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 05:29:50 PM »
Les, what museum is one of your planes in?  Do you still actively fly CLPA?

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 08:27:48 PM »
Wired for excitement is not a good example of how current CL is flown. I wouldn't show it to anyone I was trying sell the hobby to. The big reason I say that is safety! There is not a safety thong in sight in the whole video. No cut offs on the combat ships either. AMA really needs a much newer version of this video to show to the public..
mike potter

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 09:35:58 PM »
Wired for excitement is not a good example of how current CL is flown. I wouldn't show it to anyone I was trying sell the hobby to. The big reason I say that is safety! There is not a safety thong in sight in the whole video. No cut offs on the combat ships either. AMA really needs a much newer version of this video to show to the public..

Oh for f**** sake.  Guy's we found the safety patrol...  I'm sure it's because of that reason people that see this video decide not to participate.  ::) ::) ::)

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 10:16:30 AM »

IMO.. The Wired for Excitement is probably the best “1980” Control Line video for introducing the sport, and the more updated one is by Air Sports in 2008 (see below).  Most knew safety thong / fuel cut off in combat are not required back in the days,  after all it’s in the 80s..  Just like if you watch an old car commercial that the driver might not be wearing the seat belt.   I doubt very much AMA would make an updated version.   As the r/c stuff like 3D Helis and FPV drones etc. are much more popular nowadays.

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 05:16:58 PM »
There would still be two more around if my little buddy Pedro Soto hadn't purchased the 700 and the "74" ship.
He wrecked them both in a matter of minutes! The 700 was really pretty much used up but the "74" ship only had one season on it, flew really well and I begged him to not fly it because I knew what would happen.
(I love Pedro but I always insisted on "cash up front!")

Was he any relation to Tony Soto? I think Tony and his cousin Ralph bought and crashed everything my dad and I built!

Curt

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 05:44:14 PM »

OMG, really.  HB~>

Wayne Willey

Offline WR Crane aka MrClean

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 06:18:52 PM »
Don't think the safety issue is an issue.  What might be a detractor is the extreme dated production.  It does scream 70's 80's doesn't it?  I keep waiting for mutual of omaha and STP commercials (and no, that's not Stone Temple Pilots).

But it's well done for the time, albeit a bit corny in title and hook, cloud dancers, sky threaders, I worked so much during the time I was better known as an A$$ Dragger.

All that be as it may, unless one of us coughs up the money and hires a production company with copy writers and interviewers to come up with something new, this is what we got.  Not a fault of ANY of the pilots, crew, planes or skills, just dated material.

I don't remember Marvin looking so young, I think this was a couple years before I started flying with Topclass.

The 2nd English produced vid from 8 years ago shows the more modern style though more of a report then a review.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 07:24:34 PM »
 Not that it's a bad idea, but I don't think Jared's posting of these videos was directed toward the AMA. How about instead of picking things apart we just enjoy them for what they are? These are some very cool videos from the heydays of Control Line modeling, the greatest time period of the hobby IMO. 

Wayne Willey

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 09:25:25 PM »

Was he any relation to Tony Soto? I think Tony and his cousin Ralph bought and crashed everything my dad and I built!

Curt

I don't know about "Ralph" but are you sure "Tony" wasn't really Pedro? (Short Cuban guy with a mustache, pleasant enough but super hyper, goes by the nickname "Kamikazi".

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 10:22:41 PM »

No one would understand the relevance or even notice that, aside from a modeler, and a pretty experienced one at that. Al Rabe led the charge to get rid of safety thongs, and at the time they were gone. As soon as Al was gone they came back, more or less. I have yet to hear a good reason not to use a safety thong in stunt, but it's not like they had a lot of flyaways, if any, without them.

Mandatory combat shutoffs are much newer and a very recent development - maybe 15 years at most. That has a better justification because powered flyaways are pretty common.

Brett

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 10:51:14 AM »
 I can tell some of you have never attempted to get a flying site at a park or a contest arranged at a mall parking lot. These people do not have a clue about CL and are spring loaded to "NO". So you need to put on a presentation to show them how cool and exciting it is. You grab the only video you have access to "wired for excitement". They are thinking liability law suit all the way and the first question is "what if the flyer lets go of the handle or the lines break?" You both are looking at this video and you say " UH WELL " See what I mean? If the folks in the video were using thongs and cut offs you could point it out, but alas they aren't. So here comes the spring loaded "NO, IT'S TO DANDERIOUS. WHAT IF A KID GETS HIT?" Have a nice day.
Believe me, I've gone thru this routine more than once. I truly wish the AMA would put out a new CL video and stress the safety points along with the flying. It sure would help with the flying site problems we face when trying to sell CL to a parks director or mall manager.

And that's the truth
mike potter

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 12:35:15 PM »
I can tell some of you have never attempted to get a flying site at a park or a contest arranged at a mall parking lot. These people do not have a clue about CL and are spring loaded to "NO". So you need to put on a presentation to show them how cool and exciting it is. You grab the only video you have access to "wired for excitement". They are thinking liability law suit all the way and the first question is "what if the flyer lets go of the handle or the lines break?" You both are looking at this video and you say " UH WELL " See what I mean? If the folks in the video were using thongs and cut offs you could point it out, but alas they aren't. So here comes the spring loaded "NO, IT'S TO DANDERIOUS. WHAT IF A KID GETS HIT?" Have a nice day.
Believe me, I've gone thru this routine more than once. I truly wish the AMA would put out a new CL video and stress the safety points along with the flying. It sure would help with the flying site problems we face when trying to sell CL to a parks director or mall manager.

And that's the truth

Hi Mike,

About 5-6 years ago..  I used the 2008 Air Sports video to show the local Parks board's executives what Control line is about, and believe me they were impressed!  and yes, we got the field.  But I don't think I would use the 1980 AMA one for that.. even though it was not available to me at the time.  But it is still an excellent video for what control lines was back in the days.  :)

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 07:09:14 PM »
Joe,
    Yes no doubt it is cool for us who were there to watch and reminisce about, it is not something to use today as a marketing tool.
mike potter

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 09:18:10 PM »
Great to see Marvin again!

I've met Marvin at VSC, and recall he was taller than me, so probably 6'5"+? So, I reckon the taller guy in the picture is Marvin. Is the other guy Howard, by chance? I've met him, too.  ;) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline WR Crane aka MrClean

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 10:24:41 PM »
The last time I ran an event the park commissioners were excited to have someone using the facility.  I was flying when the park rec came up to the circle as I was landing.  Figured I was going to get the boot but he asked a bunch of questions and then asked if I could get more folks there to fly.  He's the one that suggested I run a contest.  They rented barricades, invited boy scouts and some other local groups.  Marvin won Big Goodyear with a Shoestring.  Doc, did you two have a midair in that race?  Seem to remember someone popping the lower covering on his plane.  It was more of a fun, demo event for the locals but we had people from the surrounding states there.  Life got to hectic for me to run more, shortly afterwards the evil soccer denizens found the place and it was rough for me to even fly there.  First come first serve facility doesn't mean anything when parents intentionally kick the ball into the circle and then send their kids into it wile you're flying.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 10:41:09 PM »
I thought the Wired For Excitement was truly a worthwhile film to view. Like watching an NFL Film. Very retro and makes me want to fly Control Line even more-so.
Easy enough to tell by the fashions and such that it is a film of the past and shows a good history of our hobby.
Happy they released it.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
The last time I ran an event the park commissioners were excited to have someone using the facility.  I was flying when the park rec came up to the circle as I was landing.  Figured I was going to get the boot but he asked a bunch of questions and then asked if I could get more folks there to fly.  He's the one that suggested I run a contest.  They rented barricades, invited boy scouts and some other local groups.  Marvin won Big Goodyear with a Shoestring.  Doc, did you two have a midair in that race?  Seem to remember someone popping the lower covering on his plane.  It was more of a fun, demo event for the locals but we had people from the surrounding states there.  Life got to hectic for me to run more, shortly afterwards the evil soccer denizens found the place and it was rough for me to even fly there.  First come first serve facility doesn't mean anything when parents intentionally kick the ball into the circle and then send their kids into it wile you're flying.

Yes it was Marvin and I trying to fly by your rules.   John Bender and I tried to keep flying at the casino park area, but as you said the soccer people had no thought about first come first served.   We tried the ball diamonds, but was hard getting in and out.  So John introduced me to the Knorthern Knights and the circle that was there.  Then John relocated to keep his job and my mower went capoot as well as my knees.   Don't know if circle is still there or no.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2016, 10:41:40 AM »
WOW!!!!
in the top video, I know and or knew just about everyone that was in the speed flying segment.

That brings back big memories.

Thanks ever so much for posting it.   I really loved it alot!!!!!!!!   H^^ H^^
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2016, 12:10:01 PM »
Joe,
    Yes no doubt it is cool for us who were there to watch and reminisce about, it is not something to use today as a marketing tool.

No one will even notice safety thongs, unless you point it out, and when you do, you say, "oh, yes, we have a rule about that now and here's what it looks like" while demonstrating you handle with a safety thong.

I would also note that there is no requirement for a safety thong for sport flying even now, it's only a rule for competition, and there are plenty of people who would argue against them. And point out the fact that we can point to an absurdly low incidence of people letting go and having the safety thong come into operation.

I agree it is largely a nostalgia piece and you could do a modern version, but claiming it's unacceptable for demonstrating our event to non-modelers because of lack of safety thongs 40 years ago is ludicrous.

Brett

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 02:36:24 PM »
Totally agree with Brett on this..............................

And to me, it would be a very nice piece (even being nostalgic) to show to those not familiar with the hobby to give them an idea as to what it is all about.

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 08:41:29 PM »
I used Wired for Excitement, Sig's Building and Flying Control Line Models (featuring the Skyray and Skyray 35 models), KIRO-TV's segment on the late RF Stevenson and some personal footage I shot at one of the Bladder Grabber meets for our booth at the Puyallup Model Expo for quite a few years.

Control line footage is control line footage.  People were flying Ringmasters, Noblers and Flite Streaks in the 1960s and still do today.  We just didn't have ARFs (except for Lanier) back then.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2016, 09:15:22 PM »
Totally agree with Brett on this..............................

And to me, it would be a very nice piece (even being nostalgic) to show to those not familiar with the hobby to give them an idea as to what it is all about.

To the lay person, CL is almost unfathomable until you see it.  At most, people know about Cox models, and that's only good for people "of a certain age", because those more-or-less disappeared in the 70's.

Brett

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2016, 12:34:19 AM »
   To the lay person, CL is almost unfathomable until you see it.  At most, people know about Cox models, and that's only good for people "of a certain age", because those more-or-less disappeared in the 70's.

Brett

IMO those cox plastic models did more harm for the hobby than good.  They didn't fly worth a @#$% besides level flight and even that was a struggle with some of the models.  After you crash a couple most people were like this control line stuff sucks...

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2016, 05:13:59 PM »
I used Wired for Excitement, Sig's Building and Flying Control Line Models (featuring the Skyray and Skyray 35 models), KIRO-TV's segment on the late RF Stevenson and some personal footage I shot at one of the Bladder Grabber meets for our booth at the Puyallup Model Expo for quite a few years.

Control line footage is control line footage.  People were flying Ringmasters, Noblers and Flite Streaks in the 1960s and still do today.  We just didn't have ARFs (except for Lanier) back then.

For a current video, I really like Shug's "Introduction to Control Line Flying" video.
For non-modelers, the 18 minute duration seems more appropriate.
 http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+introduction+to+control+line+flying&view=detail&mid=7C50F31C6A84011D97FA7C50F31C6A84011D97FA&FORM=VIRE

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here