News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:51:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Puzzlement about the on going AMA Nats  (Read 3253 times)

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A Puzzlement about the on going AMA Nats
« on: July 17, 2016, 08:19:18 AM »
Things a bit slow here today, so just for the heck of it I opened the latest Nats info from the AMA.  I could not are less about R/C Pylon, but that is what popped up first, so before looking at the CL Combat section I looked at a whole bunch of great looking Pylon ships. Maybe it is my old age, but for the life of me I could not find any plane with the required AMA #'s on the planes.  With all the hoo-haw about being sure to have your AMA numbers attached to show the FCC what a "Community Based Organization" can do to promote safety one would think that the requirement would be mandatory at the National Meet. Or am I having just another "senior moment?"
Joe Just
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
Re: A Puzzlement about the on going AMA Nats
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 09:09:17 AM »
Looks like The Rules for Pylon require markings on top of the wing or on the fuselage. Not necessarily the full AMA number:

10. Aircraft Marking
 Registration Numbers
Registration numbers shall consist of the last two or three digits of the
pilot’s AMA number, preceded by a capital “N” and followed by the first
letter of the plot’s last name. Alternatively, registration numbers may
consist simply of the pilot’s full AMA number. Letters and numbers shall
be clearly legible and located either on the top of a wing or on a visible
portion of the fuselage. 

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2015-2016RCPylonRacing.pdf
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 05:16:54 PM »
Looks like The Rules for Pylon require markings on top of the wing or on the fuselage. Not necessarily the full AMA number:

10. Aircraft Marking
 Registration Numbers
Registration numbers shall consist of the last two or three digits of the
pilot’s AMA number, preceded by a capital “N” and followed by the first
letter of the plot’s last name. Alternatively, registration numbers may
consist simply of the pilot’s full AMA number. Letters and numbers shall
be clearly legible and located either on the top of a wing or on a visible
portion of the fuselage. 

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2015-2016RCPylonRacing.pdf

Maybe they think the full number adds more "Drag".   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 03:26:41 AM »
They've only been doing that since the 60's. Whitely does it on some of his models too. It's a well known rulebook option. It doesn't have anything to do with the FCC.
Chris...

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 06:38:35 PM »
They've only been doing that since the 60's. Whitely does it on some of his models too. It's a well known rulebook option. It doesn't have anything to do with the FCC.
Chris...

Looks to me like it's only an R/C Pylon Racing option, and not applicable to any other event. Unless RJ flies R/C pylon, and you're referring to his pylon racers?

Sect. 10.1 says to put this abbreviated/composite number on the top of the wing (not the top of the right side of the wing) or side of fin/rudder or fuselage. Seems strange they'd want to (or be allowed to) change that, something that has been in the AMA General Rules for 50 years or more?

Sect. 10.2 applies to NMPRA numbers and region letter code...and also doesn't apply to any other events.

I understand that they might want something resembling the race numbers and "N numbers" of a 1:1 scale racing airplane, but don't see how they can "un-require" something that's in the General Rules.   H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 12:32:59 PM »
With the BOM (builder of the model) rule being progressively ignored, and in many cases, set aside, the AMA number has become a remnant of the past.

Furthermore, for those who buy and fly RTF toys in contests, the burden of putting a number on a model is an unreasonable act of oppression.
Paul Smith

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 12:59:13 PM »
We won't mention the FAA required registration numbers!  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 10:02:02 PM »
It's in the general rules, it's for any event.
Chris...

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 11:52:41 PM »
Chris...

I just looked under "General Rules" and "Identification". It says there may be other requirements in other sections of the rules, but calls them "additional", and does not call them "alternative".  Supposed to have the AMA number or name and address of the owner. There, it also spells out a few exceptions...Indoor FF models, presumably microfilm, where it's ok to omit, and scale, where it's supposed to be enclosed internally somewhere unspecified.  As I see it, the "N81H*" allowed in the pylon racing rules is only allowed for those events.  *For my number & last name.

Maybe I'm not finding the appropriate section of the General Rules? Or did you mean the CL General Rules? Nothing there. I just looked in the Table of Contents of THE General Rules. It's on "23"...page, I guess. I'd really like to know, being a semi-ex-professional CD.  ;) Steve 

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 06:28:28 AM »
Chris...

I don't think so. I think the only thing requiring the AMA number on or in the airplane is the safety code, and it is not specified that it has to be displayed anywhere. The individual event rules define whether or not it has to be displayed and how. If the individual event doesn't require it, a slip of paper in the tank compartment with the AMA number on it will suffice.

Brett

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 10:26:25 AM »
  I don't think so. I think the only thing requiring the AMA number on or in the airplane is the safety code, and it is not specified that it has to be displayed anywhere. The individual event rules define whether or not it has to be displayed and how. If the individual event doesn't require it, a slip of paper in the tank compartment with the AMA number on it will suffice.

Brett
Actually, Brett, it is in the General Rules. It says something like

4. Identification: All models, except Indoor,
will be identified with the owner‟s name and
address or AMA number, on or in the model.
Individual events listed within this (Competition
Regulations) may have additional identification
requirements which must be adhered to.

"Additional" e.g. the minimum size and placement for stunt
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
Actually, Brett, it is in the General Rules. It says something like

4. Identification: All models, except Indoor,
will be identified with the owner‟s name and
address or AMA number, on or in the model.
Individual events listed within this (Competition
Regulations) may have additional identification
requirements which must be adhered to.

"Additional" e.g. the minimum size and placement for stunt

Right - so a slip of paper in the tank compartment (or something trivial)  is all that is required. The requirement for visible numbers in specific spots is dependent on the event.

Brett

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 05:25:52 PM »
   Right - so a slip of paper in the tank compartment (or something trivial)  is all that is required. The requirement for visible numbers in specific spots is dependent on the event.

Brett
Yes, correct.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here