News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:03:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 707 Barrel roll  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Tony Drago

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
707 Barrel roll
« on: January 25, 2016, 11:12:19 AM »

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 707 Barrel roll
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 01:15:31 PM »
You know Tony, it is because of guys like this with that kind of spirit and guts that made this country great.  Pushing the envelope to be the best we can be.  Every time I see something like this, it makes me proud to be an American.  Thanks for posting.

Mike

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 01:31:54 PM »
What do you think your doing?
     " I'm selling airplanes"

Belly laugh

I was 10 days old at the time....later age 12, my first commercial airline flight was a Boeing 707 from Taipei Taiwan to Portland returning from my Dad's Army tour on the island with our family...we had gone there on the USS Mann a troop transport feeding Viet Nam with ....you fill in the blank
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 02:21:37 PM »
The barrel roll is one of the most tame maneuvers you can do.  No negative Gs, and 1.5 positive Gs at the maximum.  All transport aircraft are stressed for much more than that!  I have done dozens of barrel rolls in my Focke-Wulf 44 biplane.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 02:59:07 PM »
My father operated an FBO/Cessna dealership on the Renton, WA airport where the original -80 was built and made its first takeoff.  One of my early memories of the soon to be born jet age was walking out to about the halfway point of 5400 foot long runway 15/33 with my dad and older brother to check out the collapsed left main gear of the -80 some time after the event which occurred during high speed taxi tests some time before its maiden flight.  Alas, the same brother and I were watching the Gold Cup hydroplane races on Lake Washington on the black and white TV when Tex did his thing literally a few miles to the north of our home near the south end of the lake.

We watched the maiden takeoff shortly thereafter as well in addition to, several years later watching the first takeoff of the original B-727 during which the center engine belched flame out of the intake with a huge boom as they rotated to lift off but shortly returned to run normally.  Turned out the "S" shaped intake duct that start above the fuselage and wormed its way down to the engine which was mounted more or less on the vertical center line of the fuselage was the culprit.  At high angles of attack the airflow through the duct would separate and the flow to the engine blocked causing a compressor stall.  Howard will be pleased to point out that the solution was to put vortex generators in the curves of the ducting to prevent the separation. 

Later when flying the 727 for a few years I learned that strong cross winds at low speed during the start of the takeoff run required a comparatively slow advance of the center engine to take-off thrust to prevent a similar result.

Ted

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 06:31:07 PM »
This is the kind of guy that rolled jet transports for hire.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 06:33:50 PM »
Ten years before, Bell test pilot Tex Johnston (P-39, P-63, P-59, X-1) won the Thompson in a highly modified Airacobra Cobra II.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 09:25:22 PM »
I was 10 years old when Tex  Johnston did that and I saw the film. I was thrilled when I saw it then and it is still one of those magical moments.

Dennis

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 06:33:58 AM »
Anyone read Alex Henshaw's Sigh for a Merlin?  The passage about barrel-rolling Avro Lancasters on production test flights is a classic.

Regards
John
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 07:09:41 PM »
Ten years before, Bell test pilot Tex Johnston (P-39, P-63, P-59, X-1) won the Thompson in a highly modified Airacobra Cobra II.
That B&W photo in the lower corner of this photo of Tex was taken by our wind tunnel photographer...way back in the early days for The Cover of HIS book...however we didn't have fancy digital cameras.
When Tex  & our our photographer noticed all those helmets in the background had bunches of other pilots names. Our wind tunnel photographer and Tex brought the original 16X20 B&W to my studio and watched while I took my Iwata airbrush and carefully airbrushed those names off the helmets and then masked over and took my black India ink and misted on a very thin light coat onto the modified helmets....in order to accent Tex Johnston's cover photo.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:43:24 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 07:29:16 PM »
This is the kind of guy that rolled jet transports for hire.

Here is a close up of that we "touched up" for the Book cover that shows the final airbrushed out helmet names...to accent the photo.
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 07:37:20 PM »
That B&W photo in the lower corner of this photo of Tex was taken by our wind tunnel photographer...way back in the early days for The Cover of HIS book...however we didn't have fancy digital cameras.
When Tex  & our our photographer noticed all those helmets in the background had bunches of other pilots names. Our wind tunnel photographer and Tex brought the original 16X20 B&W to my studio and watched while I took my Iwata airbrush and carefully airbrushed those names off the helmets and then masked over and took my black India ink and misted on a very thin light coat onto the modified helmets....in over to accent Tex Johnston's cover photo.
here is the retirement drawing that I did for our photographer showing just how those old NIKON have become and by the way...those are MY HANDS under Dave's "GET-AROUND CART!
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 09:05:26 PM »
Have you written your book about your life and the things you've done and the people you've encountered.  Just what I've seen here, you must have had quite a life.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 10:04:12 PM »
Have you written your book about your life and the things you've done and the people you've encountered.  Just what I've seen here, you must have had quite a life.
Yes...and like the song sings: "I FEEL A SHADOW HANGING OVER ME"...and its NOT MY HQ SHADOW KITE EITHER...since this old Kodak Decal edge ELKO
print was made of my late twin sister and I waaaay back in the Ozarks in 1939.
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here