News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:34:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2017 NATS Info - UPDATED 28-May-2017  (Read 4085 times)

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
2017 NATS Info - UPDATED 28-May-2017
« on: November 15, 2016, 07:28:48 PM »
I just received this today from AMA:

"During this past weekends Executive Council meeting, the dates for the 2017 AMA Nationals were approved.

RC Scale: June 23-25
RC Scale Aerobatics: June 28-July 1
RC Aerobatics: July 9-13
CL Scale July 14-16
RC Pylon Racing: July 14-21
CL (Navy Carrier, Precision Aerobatics, Racing, Combat, Speed): July 16-22
RC Combat: July 17-20
RC Soaring: July 22 - 30
FF Outdoor: July 24-28
RC Helicopter: July 31-August 3
Indoor Free Flight TBD

For more information please visit www.modelaircraft.org/events or call (765) 287-1256."

CL Scale wil be the first weekend of the CL event schedule, I think they will be on the McCool site.  As near as I can tell we should be OK to use the L-Pad for practice that first weekend.

As for the detail on the CL Aerobatics events, I will NOT be the Event Director this year, but I anticipate that we will use the "normal" schedule which should look like what's attached.  Of note, there was talk of moving Classic & OTS back to the grass (call it TBD for now) and the Date/Time/Site for the Banquet is completely up in the air.  If I was a betting man I would say it will likely be held on MONDAY as part of the Pilots Meeting & Appearance Judging over in the 180 Building.

Start planning your vacations & start looking at where/how you can volunteer and make it all work!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 06:58:50 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: 2017 NATS Info
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 09:52:32 AM »
Do you have an Event Director lined up for the 2017 Nats?

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 02:29:57 PM »
Yolanda Jones of AMA just sent me this info on NATs hotels:

"I just did some calling around and this is what the local hotels quoted me as far as rates(if I didn’t list a price they either didn’t have a rate set or didn’t offer a discount). Just be sure to tell them that you are with AMA when you call to make your reservations.

Yolanda"

Baymont $66 + tax
765-284-4200

Comfort Inn $74.95 + tax
765-287-0294

Days Inn $54 + tax
765-288-2311

Holiday Inn Express $94 + tax
765-289-4678

Fairfield - $79.88 + tax
765-282-666

Courtyard(downtown Muncie) $90.00 + tax
765-287-8550

Super 8
765-286-4333

Best Western
765-282-0600

Hampton Inn
765-288-8500

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 09:00:29 AM »
Motel Alert from Yolanda...!

There’s some sort of convention going on in Muncie July 17-18(Mon –Tues) you might want to put a bug in your guys ear that they might want to start looking for a room now before they fill up.

Yo
"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
2017 NATS Info - UPDATED 28-May-2017
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 08:25:48 AM »
No one else volunteered, so I will be the Event Director again.  Given the other things happening in my life NATs Planning has rarely cracked the Top 100 on my things to do list; thus I am about 6 months behind where I was last year.  However it is starting to come together.

* John Paris has graciously volunteered to be the Assistant ED

* Howard Rush will be updating his NATs Program that helps the administrative process flow so much easier.

* We need a minimum of 8 judges, and can use up to a maximum of 12. By that measure so far we have a skeleton crew:
        Mark Overmier - Chief Judge
        Dale Barry            Doug Moon
        Joan Cox              Steve Moon
        Wes Eakin            Doug Patterson
        Mike Eber             John Simpson
        Craig Gunder        Steve Smith

In addition to the talented crew shown above there are a few other "maybes" out there who might yet be able to commit.  Still there is room for more, if you think you can help out we can use you!

* Will Hinton will be the lead Appearance judge, aided by Jim Lynch and Charlie Reeves.

* Tom Dixon & Don Ogren will again be leading the charge to gather Specs on all the competitors flying equipment

* I have not heard from him directly but anticipate that Gene Martine will again be taking a boatload of pictures and producing a Photo CD.

We had a pretty successful event last year, expect more of the same process-wise.  Two changes I want to make:

* I want to award the Concours Trophy at the 180 Building while all the models & modelers are present.  I think this is the BEST forum to make this award.

* On Final Five day, we will dispense with the ritual of drawing flight orders one round at a time.  Instead we will draw (via RNG) one round and the flight order will be ASSIGNED in a way to average out the flight order.  Howard Rush put a posting showing how that will work here:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/nats-stunt-flight-order-scheme/

The rationale is that by the time you get to the Top Five finals each flyer has a 1 in 5 chance at drawing a particular flight position.  Thus historically there have been numerous cases where a given flyer has drawn a string like 1-1-2 or 4-5-5.  While we hope our competitive processes are robust enough to overcome such things, the fact is that we can actually take control of that situation in a more equitable manner.  Scrambles like this have been used at numerous events over the years with favorable reviews.  It can be difficult to implement because it varies via the number of flyers involved.  However by Finals day we have a fixed number of flyers and the group is small enough that there can be a repeat of flight positions using a draw or RNG.  We will give it a shot, however, I am NOT naïve enough to say it will silence all the grumbling..!

The Banquet is up in the air.  Last year we moved it from Saturday to Friday and attendance did increase, but we also lost 3 of the Top 5 finalists and their families.  Worse, we lost over $700 which (believe it or not) was an improvement over previous years.  Fact is the PAMPA budget even carries a line item EXPECTING a $1500 loss on the banquet.  I do not expect the banquet to be a money maker but we cannot tolerate it being a big loss either.  To budget a $1500 loss represents the dues of 21+ PAMPA members - that is unacceptable.  I am getting some help from Allen Goff on this, he set up the Scale banquet at another site that worked very well.  I also think the banquet succeeds or fails based on the number of people attending.  Monday is the day that has the MOST people in town for the CLPA events.  From an attendance standpoint Monday night would be the best and it will be a WELCOMING Banquet instead of a FAREWELL & Awards banquet.

If we have a banquet I will post news here.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 06:57:40 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
Re: 2017 NATS Info - UPDATED 28-May-2017
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 03:32:26 PM »
For the Banquet, find a local that will rent a BIG grill to us on Saturday. Everyone who wants to participate can put in the standard $35 and have their choice of Steak or Chicken. Sides and Drinks will be included.

Win or lose, I will man the grill. Fellowship and flying can happen while the food cooks. We all eat together on the L-pad, or under the pavilion, depending on the weather.

Just a thought,

Derek

Offline the original Steve Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Fly Stunt!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 08:08:56 PM »
Derek,

I like your idea!  I would even help you man the grill if you'll have me!

Steve Smith
Thanks,
the original Steve Smith
AMA 2112

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 03:17:15 AM »
Derek,

I like your idea!  I would even help you man the grill if you'll have me!

Steve Smith

I would gladly accept your help Steve. I'll even provide the beer. 😉

Derek

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here