News:

• April 24, 2024, 05:52:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2016 Nats - A Contestants View  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Stuntflyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
2016 Nats - A Contestants View
« on: July 24, 2016, 08:07:29 PM »
Yes, my Open plane is now purple with my zig zag flames. I got a 13 on appearance last year, so I did a quick 3 day paint job on my 5 year old plane to try to improve my score on the theory that "shiny" is better. It scored a 16 at appearance, same as my brother Wayne's plane, though Wayne's has far fewer flaws (as in hundreds). Guess there is something to say about shiny, though I personally would never have scored it the same as Wayne's, shiny or not. Of course, I have looked at both for many hours, Appearance Judges only had one minute to look at each plane this year.

We had very little practice before the Nats- I was painting mine - hinged up the control surfaces Thursday evening around 10:00PM and we left at 6:00AM Friday morning. We both flew well (better than we had been practicing) and were both in the hunt for Top Twenty heading into Thursday. We made a lot of progress this week trimming the planes and figuring out how to reduce battery consumption. I was only 3 points out of 5th and Wayne was about 9 points out of 5th on his circle at the end of Wednesday. The "shiny" came back and bit me in the ass on Thursday. My plane was a "porkified" 75 ounces with the new paint job at weigh in and I ended up hurting my shoulder a bit flying it on Sunday. Don't think my shoulder can really take planes at that weight any more, guess I'm not getting any younger. Shoulders still popping and crackling today. Both our planes were flying better than ever, just can't say the same for the pilots.

Mark Mckinney and I likely would not have even been in the hunt on our circle if Kenny Stevens had not crashed his plane on his first official flight. Tom Dixon made the Top 20, which made me very happy, though he likely would not been in the hunt on his circle had Richard Oliver not crashed his beautiful Maverick on the grass circles just before qualifying started. Dead air got them both and both were the top vote getters for the Concourse award (Kenny won Concourse). The Nats is the Nats - misfortune can and will strike even some of the best at the most inopportune times. My friend Derek Barry found this out first hand last year.

Qualifying was extremely hard and the flying especially excellent this year. Wayne probably did the best job on his circles between the two of us (no top flyer crashed a plane on his circle). I really don't know where the final placing ended up. The scoreboard noted those who had qualified, but didn't have final order by the time we left. It was baking hot and we just needed to get out of the sun. Wayne flew his best flights on Thursday and I flew my best on Wednesday. I had two magnificent landings on Wednesday and bounced both on Thursday (along with quite a few other errors). Mark McKinney also flew the pants off his Crusader on Thursday - he ended up winning the Rookie of the Year Award. Lol, as an aside, I also had to throw my second flight of Wednesday out after my brain reverted to "Old Time" mode. Drat.

Wayne and I did place 10th and 11th in Old Time with our electric Ringmasters. They flew magnificently with very high maneuver scores - good enough to put us in the running for a high placing, but Old Time and Classic were once again moved to the L-Pad and darned if we have yet to figure out how to land them on asphalt. Might help if we had an asphalt circle to practice on, but I was still pleased with the result.

It was an extremely fun Nats because of the great job Dennis Adamisin and his crew did. NO MORE PING PONG BALLS. Computerized randomly generated flight orders. We were out of the Pilots meeting in an hour and Sparky also did a great job at Appearance Judging as the planes were ready for viewing immediately after the Pilots Meeting. One minute per plane. Like Heaven. Banquet was moved to Friday evening so we actually were able to attend our first one after all these years. The banquet was awesome and may be even better next year as I think they are kicking around moving it to Monday evening after Appearance Judging. All in all, despite the final result for Wayne and I, we performed as well as could be expected and the NATS experience was certainly much improved for me this year.

Congrats to all the winners and special thanks to Dennis and his entire crew for making this another great Nats to remember.

Jim Smith

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: 2016 Nats - A Contestants View
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:20:10 PM »
Hey thanks for taking time to share your experience. Its interesting at least to me, after having made the trip last year (and meeting you and Wayne) among others,,,,
anyway, thanks for taking the time it sounds like fun was had.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 11:30:01 PM »
Hi Jim,

I am not picking on you, but I think you mean "Mike McHenry" rather than Mark McKinney. Mike also won "Rookie of the year".

Some really good flying this year by everyone.

Larry

Offline Stuntflyn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 06:26:54 AM »
Yes, it was Mike McHenry who flew the Crusader his Dad designed to a top 20 finish and won Rookie of the Year. Thanks for the correction. I corrected it on SSW as well. Still looking for some plans for that Crusader - great flying classic ship.

Offline Stuntflyn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 06:30:58 AM »
Hey Mark - it was great meeting you there last year as well. You are an awesome painter and I really enjoy reading the articles and posts from you. Definitely has helped my finishing skills.

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 07:01:30 AM »
Jim,

Nice write up, Ben and I enjoyed visiting with you guys, hope Sam makes it next year y1.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 07:07:52 AM »
Yes, it was Mike McHenry who flew the Crusader his Dad designed to a top 20 finish and won Rookie of the Year. Thanks for the correction. I corrected it on SSW as well. Still looking for some plans for that Crusader - great flying classic ship.

You're welcome Jim.
 A few days out in the heat and sun, plus a long drive, will do things to our memories.

Why not give Mike a shout for plans. Knowing Mike, I am sure he would be happy to help you out.

Larry

Offline Stuntflyn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 06:54:00 AM »
Correction: My friend Matt Neumann pointed out to me that Richard Oliver crashed the morning of the Top 20 flyoff. Here is my response to him:

Hey Matt,

I thank you for the correction. I watched Tom fly several of his flights and he was flying very well. He also had his equipment working flawlessly as usual. Tom has done so much to promote control line stunt in our area of the world. I also know he has not qualified the last few years he has come to the Nats, so I was ecstatic to see him get in. Tom is certainly capable of making the Top 20 at the Nats any year he goes.

Richard Oliver is a virtual lock for Top 20 any time he is there and I was obviously confused as to the timing of his crash. I was certainly sad to hear about the loss of his beautiful plane and Kenny Stevens as well. Guess my baked brain still hadn't recovered enough to remember exact names or times when I wrote the first post. I do know I had a great time at the Nats and encourage all to come whenever they are able, it is one of the very best contests in the world.

Tom comes to our Stunt N' Fun contest every year and we certainly hope he can make it again this year, he is always a threat to win our contest every year he comes. We use to fly stunt together for a few years when we were all kids, so it is always great to see him. Tom and everyone else will certainly have their work cut out for them this year as the reigning World Champion, Orestes Hernandez, is set to make an appearance at Stunt N' Fun this year barring any last minute work responsibilities.

It was really nice to talk to you and your Dad again at this years Nats. I was certainly rooting you on to make Top 5 this year. Tough sledding all around as the Nats always draws the very best flyers from the entire United States and beyond.

Lol . . . I find it amusing and helpful any time I post to a stunt forum. You can rest assured if any misspoken words are uttered, there will be a modeler there to make the correction. I guess it is just the detailed and meticulous habits we develop from modeling to make sure everything is just right. Anyone who can make the Top 20 has certainly earned it, but I do appreciate all who have set the record straight.

Thanks again,

Jim

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 09:11:28 AM »
Jim,
It was a pleasure to meet you and your brother Wayne. I thought you guys did very well. For me me it was my first NATS and getting to share it with two sons was priceless, we really had a good time. I was really amazed on how helpful everyone is and I learned a lot just by listening and watching, plus it was a lot of fun. Where else do you get to fly on really nice conditions anytime you pretty much anytime you want. I certainly tried to take advantage of that! We did also eat well and heard a lot of stories well we did it! For me going to the NATS was worth 500 practice flights, I learned some much and made big improvements in such a short time. Also I met some really good people and made some new friends, plus Joseph and Steven had a great time and they can’t wait to go back again. 

I thought the overall NATS was ran very well and professionally. So special thanks to Dennis and all of the people who volunteered! it is much appreciated.

Joe Daly

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 12:09:28 AM »
Hi Joe,

It's so nice to see your kids competing and having fun. The Nobler's look great! I see that they are e-powered. Are they scratch built Noblers? Maybe you can tell us what power package is inside if you don't mind.

I take Jim's point on Tom Dixon's flying and overall C/L knowledge and experience. Does anyone know what engine he used in the Chipmunk? Is it the Jim van Loo Chippy or is it a bigger version? Thanks.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 04:14:16 AM »
Keith,
They are both ARF's. The power package in Joe's is a Cobra 2814, with a Phoenix 45 and Hubin FM-9 timer. Steven's has a Rocket 3015 with a edge lite 50, and a hubin FM-9 timer. Both use TP 4S 2200 batteries.

Joe

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 04:41:56 AM »
Joe:

It's fantastic and encouraging seeing young men interested in C/L flying!  What's the huge trophy one of your son's is holding?

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 11:27:33 PM »
Keith,
They are both ARF's. The power package in Joe's is a Cobra 2814, with a Phoenix 45 and Hubin FM-9 timer. Steven's has a Rocket 3015 with a edge lite 50, and a hubin FM-9 timer. Both use TP 4S 2200 batteries.

Joe
Thanks Joe, I was asked a few days ago about how to get the battery in and out of the ARF Nobler, so rather than high-jacking this thread, what would be great is if you would not mind adding some more detail on a new thread in the "Getting All AMP'ed Up" forum. I'm sure that many would appreciate that. Thanks.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 07:21:36 AM »
Andre,
The trophy is the eagle nest trophy. It is for beginner Jr./Sr. Winner.

Keith,
I will get some pictures later today and start a thread.

Joe

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 12:21:53 AM »
Thanks Joe!
Keith R

Offline Don Main

• 21 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 04:04:10 PM »
I was able to be Pit Boss in circles 1 & 2 and it was a great time being able to meet so many people! I hope to return next year and do it again. Totally a great time!!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here