blank
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 05:40:10 AM by Motorman »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Heavy Wall Copper Tubing & Lead Out Swaging
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 10:08:13 PM »
Try MBS Model Supply: http://mbsmodelsupply.com/.  Nice guy.  I always forget to call after 5:00PM Kansas time, and he's still nice to me.

I think his sleeves are a bit smaller than what you're asking for, but they should still work.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:30:22 PM »
Can't you buy swaging sleeves at your local saltwater tackle shop?  ??? Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 07:14:21 PM »
McMaster Carr is close.  3/32 od x .065 id  3   1' pcs per pack.  Copper alloy 122. @ bout $3 per pack.
ama 5871

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:38:52 PM »
Thanks Bob but, that is still thin wall tubing. I may have to grind a few out on my lathe.

MM

Actually Mcmaster Carr lists Fabrication copper tubing at 1/8 inch OD and 1/32 wall thickness
(.125 OD .065 ID).

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 03:32:07 AM »
Thanks Bob but, that is still thin wall tubing. I may have to grind a few out on my lathe.

MM

You grind on your lathe???
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Steve Riebe

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 06:41:34 PM »
Downrigger cable crimp sleeves are really heavy duty and made from stainless steel. Try your local gander mountain or cabellas

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »
You grind on your lathe???

Grinding on a lathe is quite common and any machinist worth his salt knows how to do it ;). It provides the best surface finish and the highest precision parts.  Try looking up tool post grinder in Google or YouTube and you'll see.

Paul W.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 06:45:13 AM »
Grinding on a lathe is quite common and any machinist worth his salt knows how to do it ;). It provides the best surface finish and the highest precision parts.  Try looking up tool post grinder in Google or YouTube and you'll see.

Paul W.

Paul, I spent a better part of my working life in manufacturing and machine tools.  I was a Field Service Engineer and Service Manager for a well known machine tool builder for 18 years. I owned my own manufacturing company for 21 years.  I have many, many years of lathe experience, both manual and CNC.

I am well aware of tool post grinders.  I am also well aware of how grit can get under bed ways and seals and shorten the life of a machine.  Even polishing on a lathe with emery cloth is not a good practice.

There are machine tools designed for grinding and there are machine tools designed for turning.  Grinding on a lathe is something I would never do.

As far as your comment, I thought it was a mistake in describing material removal.  Not everyone understands the application of turning, grinding, milling, drilling, boring and so on.  Apparently you do and choose to grind on your lathe.  My apologies for second guessing your intent.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here