News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:03:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hey, Walter, Spectrum MK III!  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Hey, Walter, Spectrum MK III!
« on: January 25, 2013, 09:39:47 AM »
As you probably know, Jimmy's 1983 NATS winner is legal this year for Nos.30!

Lots of engine choices, ST .60 like Jimmy used, Evo .60, PA, Ro-Jett, Double Star, ST G 51.........

Any chance of this one being kitted?

Thanks!
Bill

P.S. Someone will even think of electric!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: Hey, Walter, Spectrum MK III!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:16:09 PM »
As you probably know, Jimmy's 1983 NATS winner is legal this year for Nos.30!

Lots of engine choices, ST .60 like Jimmy used, Evo .60, PA, Ro-Jett, Double Star, ST G 51.........

Any chance of this one being kitted?

Thanks!
Bill

P.S. Someone will even think of electric!

Bill,
I have to make some sort of a remark without sounding like an ogre. everyone has a favorite model that they want kitted and Lord knows that I've prodded Walt into one or two. Sometimes it's a winner as if a cottage industry owner can ever win. The other times are a disaster that is tough to suck up. All of the manufacturers I'm sure have their own personnel horror stories. That said you probably know that a kit can only be made if there is enough response to a survey that enough people will buy the kit. But even more important is that those who endorsed the kit actually break down and buy it when its ready. Sadly given some peoples propensity to think large on small budgets or have been bit by the recession I don't think that this is a great time to be in the kit business. No just to clarify this. These are stricly my own opinions and I'm not speaking for the industry at large.I personally can't see large returns on modern stunt designs as everyone has their own design or a personel favorite.
But I'm sure that Walt will respond to the question.

Dennis

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 03:12:36 PM »
Hi Bill    This has nothing to do with your request. Just a observation. There doesn't seem to be any interest in N-30. People fly in it but don't build for it. People kept saying we want it ,we want it, but there have been no one building for it.  ''  "why bother to build if you can fly a classic model in N-30"
 Here at Huntersville we combine the event and no one builds for it. If someone started to win with a 70's model then others may change. I saw one modeler at the KOI enter old time,classic,n-30.and expert with one plane. "It is easier to fly one plane well rather than three planes not so well" some one said to me.
Ed
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:30:12 AM by Ed Ruane »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the post.  I am well aware of the "kit making" process.  No one will be able to buy his own vacation island based on making stunt model kits, that's for sure!  

Walter had stated that he expected to kit "more than one" of Jimmy Casale's models and has received the proper "OK" to kit any of Jimmy's designs.  He has started a thread on Jimmy's '79 Spectrum.

Just making him aware that the NATS winning model is eligible this year for Nos. 30.  It is not one of my "Holy Grails" for a stunt model, but I would get one since it is a NATS winner and eligible for Nostalgia 30 now.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:25:03 PM »
Hi Bill    This has nothing to do with your request. Just a observation. The doesn't seem to be any interest in N-30. People fly in it but don't build for it. People kept saying we want it ,we want it, but there have been no one building for it.  ''  "why bother to build if you can fly a classic model in N-30"
 Here at Huntersville we combine the event and no one builds for it. If someone started to win with a 70's model then others may change. I saw one modeler at the KOI enter old time,classic,n-30.and expert with one plane. "It is easier to fly one plane well rather than three planes not so well" some one said to me.
Ed

Hi Ed,

With Nos. 30 still being a fairly "new" event, I believe it will take some time for actual Nos. 30 models to be built.  Those already having a Classic legal model might actually build a Nos 30 specific model when the Classic model starts to get a little "long in the tooth", etc..

Since Huntersville only flies Nos. 30, and not Classic, the building of Nos 30 specific models might just happen.  I know that Aaron and I both are planning on building Nos. 30 specific models.  And probably more than one each.  I have built quite a few of my favorite "Classic" models, and Stiletto's and Genesis's are more of Aaron's "Classic" or Nostalgia time frame.

Who knows?

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 10:02:56 PM »
Well, if Walter gets this ship in production, it seems he has sold two of them already.... #^ #^

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Eric Viglione

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 06:30:46 PM »
... And then there's the ultimate lazy people like me, waiting for my Avanti to become Nos30 legal so I can start flying it. I figure it'll be legal long before I get around to building something specific for the event. Hah! Too busy still trying to build the ultimate world beater. I dust off my cavalier and fly it about once a year otherwise.

Kidding aside, I do intend to build some n30 specific planes some day, just not a priority at the moment.
EricV

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 06:49:59 PM »
I have to make some sort of a remark without sounding like an ogre. everyone has a favorite model that they want kitted and Lord knows that I've prodded Walt into one or two. Sometimes it's a winner as if a cottage industry owner can ever win. The other times are a disaster that is tough to suck up. All of the manufacturers I'm sure have their own personnel horror stories.

And it isn't restricted to model airplanes.  My brother and I went to street rod show after street rod show in the late 1970's.  Everybody would come look at our 1932 Roadster body, and tell us how they just desperately wanted to build a 1932 Phaeton (that's an open 4-seater, as opposed to the 2-seater roadster).

So, my dad put about two man-years into making a 1932 Phaeton body.  We get it out in front of the street rodding public some time around 1980 (maybe 79, maybe 81 or 82).  The crowds flock to our booth, and almost to a man say "Oh Boy!  Lokkit that!  A 1932 Phaeton!  Man, I just desperately want to build one!".

"Just as soon as I build another 1932 Roadster.  Could you sell me one of them, please?"

I don't know if we ever made our investment back, but it certainly wasn't while I was still working for my dad.

If there's a lesson there that's probably been learned by everyone selling into hobby markets, if not to everyone selling anything at all, it's this: you don't make a dime selling stuff that people think they're gonna want.  You make money selling stuff that people do want, or better yet, what they really need.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 05:37:45 PM »
I am definitely going to bust out some N30's except, I go from plans which doesn't help Walter any. Does anybody know if Lew Mcfarland's Akromaster is either classic or N30 legal?
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 10:38:45 PM »
I am definitely going to bust out some N30's except, I go from plans which doesn't help Walter any. Does anybody know if Lew Mcfarland's Akromaster is either classic or N30 legal?

The plane is  N-30 legal, I flew with him in the early 70s when he flew the Akros

Randy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »
Well, guys, I haven't harassed Walter about this one, just throwing it out there from his previous comments. ;D

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here