News:

• June 16, 2024, 02:49:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: bf 109 all in one peice  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
bf 109 all in one peice
« on: January 25, 2008, 10:24:11 PM »
Gentlemen,

received a couple questions about if I had made any progress, well I have. she is now all in one piece, flaps made and hinged, tail all hinged gear bent up. Though I am not real happy with the gear wire so far, still time to decide. Everything is silk spanned and has at least three coats of dope over the silkspan. The airframe with everything but the gear is now 30.5 oz with basically all the dope on and no sanding done. I should be clear, thats all the wood parts installed and silk spanned. It is almost ready to be sanded, one more coat of clear (maybe) and primed. Looks like I am right on target for 55 oz. With all the hardware accommodated for, from this point I have about 6 or 7 oz to complete the finish.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline David Miller

• Lieutenant
  • CL, RC, Hunting and Fishing!
Re: bf 109 all in one peice
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 11:12:51 PM »
Man that looks nice Mark. Knowing your painting and finishing ability its going to be awsome. Now to make it last!!! Are we ready to fly yet????
MSgt (RET) David G. Miller
AMA 560263

Joejust

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 07:44:28 AM »
Mark. the photos may be deceiving, but the dia. of the landing gear apears to be a bit thin. What dia are you using?  If you need something heavier I do have a bunch of heavier stock in the shop.

Joe

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 07:59:39 AM »
Joe, the wire is 1/8", its possibly decieving, its a bigger plane than I have built before,
Dave thanks for the confidence buddy!Long live CBCL right?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 08:05:08 AM »
SOLD!!! My address is...

Seriously, that is one cool model Mark, nice job! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 12:30:46 PM »
Very nice work on your model Mark. The canopy sets it off very nicely.
Frank Carlisle

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 02:59:18 PM »
Nice work, what type of pilot figure did you use?

James
AMA 491167

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 04:27:51 PM »
James, the pilot figure is from Horizon Hobby, its a 1/10 scale. Hes Latex and holow. I painted him with acrylic hobby paints which worked really well. weighs hardly anything at all.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN8353
Um don't tell anybody, but he's an American who defected,, lol,,

Ty, this is my own design. I started with Pat Johnston's Mustang for size,, and general configuration, decided that wouldn't work and started from scratch. Plans are drawn in CAD. It uses Pats airfoil and his construction style. He has been watching "over my shoulder" so to speak as I have gone through the design and construction. Between Him and Randy Powell, They have given me enough information and support that I was confident enough to tackle this. I have Flying models Magazine with both of the Sheek's 109's the I beamer is not classic legal, and the older D-tube is classic legal as far as I have been able to tell..
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 05:07:28 PM »
 Mark,

Your 109 is REALLY looking great Mark! Here's just a couple detail suggestions if I may...

I'm not sure what it was for, but maybe you could add that big "hump" on the left side of the fuse in front of, and below the cockpit that a lot of the 109's had. I don't recall, but I think it might have been something to do with a supercharger, or ammunition hold or something. Also the fuselage air scoop(s)? Stabilizer struts? Maybe you've already considered these ideas, but they would be some neat scale details.
 Now, is this the "big spinner" version or the earlier "small spinner" version of the 109? Some of these details will vary depending on which version you are representing. It's a lot of work, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you are planning on one of the typical German airbrushed camo schemes with a lot of colored markings and insignias-this thing is gonna be cool!

Carry on Mark! y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 05:20:46 PM »
yeppers, details to follow, I just didnt want to do all the tedious sanding around them. They are in ze skunkworks as we speak. The blisters you refer to were found on the G model primarily, they were supercharger clearance IIRC. The later versions had rounded wing tips, and no lift struts on the tail. This is to represent an E'ish model. I do have lift struts planned for the horizantal tail. The early supercharger intake on the port side , some little humps and bumps here and there. I am still trying to decide how best to replicate the exhaust stacks, have a couple ideas brewing but nothing concrete yet. The paint scheme as of now, is planned to be the Splinter camo typical of these AC. I am going to use the grey grey color combination. I have in the skunkworks development stages, a spinner being custom crafted with loving hands and cold hard machinery. If We pull it off, it will be of the short spinner version with the stub front for the cannon in the crank. Lets see if the judges give me any 20 manuever scores! I also am thinking of having it equiped with either a drop tank, or a bomb,, again, based on my first flights I may elect to change out my munitions before the second flight and add the bomb,, just to properly motivate the judges.. hehe
I am having a lot of fun with this project, I do have to temper my enthusiasum as it is first a Stunter, and second a scaleish version of a real plane.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Joejust

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 06:50:24 PM »
Mark, as you know, I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time. However, I personally don't think 1/8" music wire is strong enough for the landing gear on such a great ship as you have worked so hard on for so Long. I am hoping that some brighter flier than myself would jump in here and either confirm my fear or put it to rest now before any flights on one of the best planes to come out of E. WA in years.

Joe

PS Isn't it great to see Davids enthusiasm pop up again? What a guy!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 08:30:22 PM »
 Aye-Aye Sir! Your on the right track Mark! ;)

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 09:47:12 PM »
Looks very good, Mark. Your doing a bang-up job.

I vote for the bomb.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 10:39:10 PM »
Joe,
thanks for your concern, I think from what I have seen, 1/8 is pretty standard on stunters, now of course were this a carrier beast, then it may need something more substantial, say perhaps oh 1/4" ;) LL~ LL~ after bending this gear, anything that distorts this will probably do more damage than the gear legs! like ripping a wingmount out or somthing,,
(for those who dont know, Joe is a carrier kinda guy,, though of late he has been seen hiding about the stunt circles)
Yeah its great to see you Dave, good to see you posting and jumpin in the fray again.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 01:38:32 AM »
LOOKIN SUPER GOOD! You don't want to paint it too good. Your girlfriend won't let you fly it. I knew you had it in you. This designing planes is a lot of fun especialy if they fly a very good pattern. I will see you in April so you will probably have it done by then. I don't know about mine because will have more humidity in this part of Oregon. I am keeping fingers crossed. I have planes to fly(6) to be exact so no big rush. Should have new Grinder finished in another Month so will be looking for warmth and dryer weather. Keep up the good work! #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^ #^I also should have planes for the Grinder next Month.

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 06:50:56 AM »
Very Nice! Great job on the wood-working fit on the fuse.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here