News:

• June 16, 2024, 05:34:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fancherized Twister Plans  (Read 6099 times)

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Fancherized Twister Plans
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:23:13 PM »
I am preparing to build a Twister, and am wondering if plans are available for the Fancher mods.
Thanks, Bob

Alan Hahn

Re: Fancherized Twister Plans
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 12:36:56 PM »
The description of the modifications were given in several of his Model Aviation CL Aerobatic Columns. The articles started in August 1987 on page 61.

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 01:11:07 PM »

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 01:12:31 PM »
The AMA has put most older issues of Model Aviation online.  You have to be an AMA member and create an account online that's linked to your AMA number, to view the archive, but it's pretty helpful.  Just don't forget or lose your password.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 03:21:35 PM »
I got mine from Leonard at SSW. He ain't fast .
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 07:44:14 PM »
The version of the Fancherized Twister shown in the MA magazine is the 1st iteration of the modifications.  Additional development was done on the project and resulted in further changes.  SSW carries the latest version of plans.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 08:22:35 PM »
It isn't clear whether the "so-called" later developments really are "Fancherized Twister" "legal! n~

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 03:34:36 AM »
> I got mine from Leonard at SSW. He ain't fast .

I wouldn't waste your time with SSW.  I ordered some stuff from Len and gave up after 6 months of waiting before finally getting the bits I needed from Randy Smith.  I didnt order any plans though, perhaps his plan service is a bit faster???  Maybe it was because I am too far away for him to be bothered by International Post.

Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 10:02:30 AM »

I wouldn't waste your time with SSW.  I ordered some stuff from Len and gave up after 6 months of waiting before finally getting the bits I needed from Randy Smith.  I didnt order any plans though, perhaps his plan service is a bit faster???  Maybe it was because I am too far away for him to be bothered by International Post.

Nope, same thing happens if it's a US address, think it depends allot on who.....

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 03:34:56 PM »
Nope, same thing happens if it's a US address, think it depends allot on who.....

Yup..and I ain't one them..for sure

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 04:20:16 PM »
A Twister is easily modified to Fancherized specs. Add 3 inches to the tail moment, increase stab/elevator about 15%, use half ribs, weight box and adjustable lead outs.  Wing tips also help. The rudder was cut down some, maybe half. Cosmetically, the shape of the fues, is up to you. I'll check the plans this evening. Make sure of the measurements. Gotta run at the moment.

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 04:44:32 PM »
 I built my Fancherized Twister following info in the MA article- I don't recall mention of 15% increase in  the stab area. If this is important I can add additional area to stab LE and / or the tips- not sure which way I need to go-or if it is worth the effort- also- would I also need to add area to elevators? I could  add on to the TE and/ or tips of current elevator. Any advice with appreciated .
Lyle
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 09:10:55 PM »
I have excellent Fancherized Twister plans drawn by Bob Kruger, updated in Feb, 2003. Talk to Bob. He was very generous when I inquired about this plane. His profile should be on this forum. Changes include a 1/2" balsa tripler on the the nose, a switch to 1/4" balsa for the stab/elevator and rudder, the stab spans 21" instead of 18," the stab leading edge is 12 3/4" behind the trailing edge instead of the stock 10". Half ribs. Adjustable leadouts , tip weight... A stock Twister and a fox 35 got Mike Palko into advanced. A Twister with half ribs, wingtips and the stock stab moved back 1 1/2"  got Jack Weston into Advanced. Dan Banjok flew Jack's Twister in Expert profile at Brodak a few years back. I believe he took first place. Maybe second.  I have a Twister with the stock stab moved back 1", half ribs, wing tips, adjustable leadouts, weight box. It turns well, tracks well, and will do a decent corner, if I do my part.

See if you can get the plans from Bob Kruger. Nice looking plane. I'd like to try all the mods at some point. Build it light and try an LA25. Which the plans picture. I've powered mine with FP40s, built the nose as rigid as possible and used pieces direct from the Sig kit. Planes have flown well.

Twisters are comparatively simple planes, as simple as you get for a flapped profile. If you're starting out learning the pattern either Fancherized, partially Fancherized or stock are a good choice. I think I remember an aside Al Rabe made someplace on one of these forums. He theorized that Sig pretty much took the Mustunt profile and make the Twister. Interestingly enough when I matched airfoils between both planes they were virtually identical.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 05:22:08 AM »
You can add me to the list of those that made it into Advanced flying a Twister and Jim Kraft regularly beats up on us in Advanced with a Twister. If you have the kit you really do not need the plans and if you want to scratch build a Twister you can order the TwistMaster plans from PAMPA. The TwistMaster is a Fancherized Twister only made to look like a Ringmaster.

The TwistMaster plans were available long before Leonard and Bob got together and came up with his F-Twister plans. They show the stock fuselage outline with the extension along with the additions to make it look like a Ringmaster fuselage. Just make the stab, elevator and rudder any shape that pleases you maintaining close to the same area and you will be fine.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 08:23:42 AM »

Hi Warren,

I hope you and yours are preparing for a blessed Christmas!

I have been a member of the SSW site since basically the first day.  Over the years I have done business with him, and have found it to be hit or miss.  I waited for almost 6 months (numerous emails and phone calls!) for some venturis, which in the end did not fit the engine I had, but they DID fit another so all was not lost.  Strange thing is that he had an engine that he was working on from England (don't know if Tony EVER got his engine back!) which was exactly like the one I had so the parts *should* have worked.  On the other hand, I received plans in a matter of days.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 10:33:12 AM »
The value of reading the articles is not just to see what was changed on the plane, but also why it was changed.  The big thing that makes the Twister fly better is the fuselage moment change.  The rest of the modifications are intended to make the nose more stiff, the tail more resistent to crash damage, the wing easier to cover with Monokote, etc. 

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 09:06:25 AM »
Deferring to what Dennis M. mentioned about the Al Rabe airfoil beinng on the Twister,  I also added Rabe rudders to two of my Fancherized Twisters and it made a big difference on both in the way they fly, regardless of some thinking that it ain't necessary.  I do like the way the longer fuse works and the Rabe rudder takes out all of the gyroscopic yaw.  Now all I gotta do is learn to fly nice.

Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here