• May 28, 2024, 10:09:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: scales  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Rotten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
scales
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:47:22 PM »
What do you guys use to weigh your planes?    What kinds of scales?

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Re: scales
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 02:33:40 PM »
Rotten?
I have used Baby scales that are very accurate for most standard size models up to and including my scale C/L twins.  For my 1/2 A and smaller models I use a beam balance scale.  I found my baby scales at a Salvation Army store.

Hope this helps.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Bill Griffith

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 02:42:05 PM »
I have two different size postage scales.  These are mechanical scales and seem to be accurate enough.

Bill  :)

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
I've used the "iBalance 2600" from www.myweigh.com for several years. It does  grams by the .1, and ounces by the .01. It has "Tare" settings for weighing the container first - - Handy for mixing epoxy "just right".

Available from several sources for around $100. Don't bother with the A/C Adapter; a set of 6 Analine AA batteries lasts for 5 years, at least.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Steve Hand

• Exemplary Stunt Planes
  • Lieutenant
  • Ain't it fun?
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 03:54:56 PM »
Bass, crappie, and bream scales seem to work better in the colder months. LL~
Steve

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 05:36:10 PM »
I packed my big Streak into a mailing and packaging place this morning.  I went in and asked them first, said it was fine, and then wouldn't let me give them anything.  It weighed in pounds, 3.3 to be exact, but multiply by 16 and you get the ounces.  The drawback, of course, is you have to go to town. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 06:40:57 PM »
You can weigh a complete model (or engine) in the lobby of any post office. Might want to go during off-hours. I go by the PO at about 4:45am on week days, and would you believe there's a line of stunt fliers waiting to weigh their planes?  LL~ 

I have an Ohaus triple beam balance (over $100) (like we used in HS Chemistry lab, and the drug dealers use these days) with the auxilliary "booster" weights, plus several fishing scales.  You might be able to buy one at a Police Auction.  None of the fish scales are very accurate until they're calibrated. The best, most durable and accurate is the Chatillion spring scale. They come in various sizes; mine goes to 12 lbs. They're over $50 now.  I've had several digital fish scales;  they don't last very long.   n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 06:51:31 PM »
I use a NEXUS digital scale which I have left over from my performance engine days...used it to balance rods and pistons. I think they are still available from Speedway Motors.

Phil

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 07:24:34 PM »
I bought a kitchen digital scale at Wal-Mart, weighs to 5+ pounds ±1/8 oz or ±2 gr, 9V battery.  Has a platform or a tray.  Zeros for tare on turn on, or with push of zero button.  About $30.  Can be used for mixing epoxy but a platform beam balance (OHAUS) is better for that.

I also got a ROYAL ds5 digital at Sam's club or maybe COSTCO, about $20, accurate to ±1 gr, ±.1 oz.. 9 Volt  It has a convenient "hold" feature that makes it easier to read, and "tare".  And BTW has all the postal rates on a chart on the platform.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline GEOFFREY

• Commander
  • Northwest Fireballs
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 11:30:34 PM »
 mw~ mw~maybe i missread your  ?.. but you really should weigh your wood and other parts before your at the whole plane bit. heavy wood  outboard ect.. Micro-Mark has a scale that is high presion and will do the job from start to finish #82560  best investment  in a scale.. Geoffrey 
GEOFFREY L CHRISTIANSON  AMA 824607             DELTA PARK Portland Or.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 07:57:43 AM »
Rotten
Send me an Email and I will send you a Balsa density chart that I have made up. 
It works in oz or gr. 
I take it with me when ever I plan on buying balsa and my little beam balance scale.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here