News:

• June 15, 2024, 07:29:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Project one week in,,,,  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New Project one week in,,,,
« on: June 11, 2007, 10:49:25 AM »
Just thought I would post some picts of my newest project. Profile 30's styled air racer look. Since I stole the tail from my ARC P-40, and the fuse was a touch heavy, I decided to build a new plane based around the same numbers but with a different look. I am using the stock P-40 wing. Power to be an LA .46. As pictured she weighs 19 oz, (whoops thats without the gear). Styled around the Gee Bee model Y but not accurate. I elected to locate the wing in a more conventional location for ease of construction and finishing. The goal is to have a decent looking plane that maintains the excellent flight characteristics of the P-40. Of note, the rudder and vert stab, as well as the elevators use laminated "bows" for the perimeter, I had never tried this before and it was really pretty slick and easy. easier than hacking out peices of sheet wood. I feel they are stronger too. She will be covered with Monokote to meet my prime goal, fast and in the air to fly. (thats FAST to build, minimum time invested so to speak)
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
Re: New Project one week in,,,,
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 10:59:29 AM »
Hi Mark;

Lookin good so far. I got all the time in the world and I ain't that fast------I must be doin something wrong? I haven't seen "Lattice Work" like that in years.

"Billy G"   ;D
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 01:51:17 PM »
Looking good Mark. I never saw a fuselage done like that before..........nice work y1.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Larry Price

• 2014 Supporters
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 08:55:29 PM »
Mark,
          Now that's a really great idea !!!  #^ #^  You get the simplicity of a slab profile, but you can give it a hint of roundness to tease the eye. At the same time keeping the building and finishing to a minimum... I like it... Sweeeeet.... CLP** CLP** CLP**
Larry Price
Edgewood, WA

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 11:00:06 AM »
Looking good, Mark. Do you have some acetate for a canopy?   :)!

Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 11:27:52 AM »
Randy, that is one thing I havent found yet. Its actually kind of a really laiiiiiddddd back windscreen on the drawing I worked from. I have read about using two liter soda bottles and shrink molding. I was thinking of cutting a strip about 2 inchs wide and say 4 inchs long. putting some heavy spring clamps on the ends and draping it over a 1/2" dowel, then using my heat gun to soften it so it would get the shape in it. whatcha think, sound like it might work?, then trim it to shape and cut a sliver from the fuse to inset it. I really havent done much with canopies so its all an experiment. I did do vacuforming long years ago,,
I spent all last night getting the gear where I wanted it, and the shape of the spats right,, whew, what a chore!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 03:19:13 PM »
Mark,

That will probably work. Just cut up some clear, plastic bottles (soda or water bottles) and start screwing around with them. You'll come up with something usable.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: New Project one week in,,,,now on second week!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 11:26:10 PM »
Just an update, all surfaces joined aligned and covered. Got the trim color on today it turned out ok for monokote I suppose. The cream is Monokote, and the Sky Blue is actually Ultracote. Incidently, I will say the Ultracote is really nice over the monokote. It is much easier to get it to lay down without bubbles and nonsense. Still to go, build tank, finish wheel spats, rig controls, rig wiggly rudder,,,,,, oh and break in the new LA 46, although the new one is silver, I almost think my blue one would look nicer on here? Right now it is looking VERY promising to be in the low 40 oz range all up. Of course I have been optimistic before,,,

Oh yeah, I still have to do a windscreen too Randy,,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 04:16:06 PM »
I like it so far.  Now to see the finished product and hear the flying results.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 06:08:08 PM »
Hey Mark I think it will fly as soon as you doll it up with flaps and stuff like that. See you there. Leo HB~> y1 y1

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 09:33:15 PM »
FLAPS, ah crap now ya tell me, I knew something was missing sheesh. Serious, Its coming out ok, I styled it after the Gee Bee Y model, but really it just kinda captures the flavor so to speak. It will be there in Puyallup, just hinging the flaps tonight, then to build a tank, mount the gear and spats, balance, break in the motor,,,,,,,,,,,,,
well if all else fails, I still have the P-40,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 10:07:12 PM »
Hi Mark,

I forgot to tell ya!  I like it. ;D

It should be a good flying model and it will look great in the air. y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 01:57:49 PM »
Well here she is finished, this plane flew AWESOME. probably the best flying plane I have flown. flew it last weekend and fell in love, unfortunatly  hit some turbulance coming out of the second turn of the outside squares(probably turbulance in my brain HB~> HB~>) and she smacked inverted, broke of right aft of the cockpit coaming, the hori stab split in the fuse . the wing is perfect, on litle flaw in the covereing. I will be rebuilding as soon as my balsa order comes in. Should be a fairly painless repair. LA 46 ran flawlessly, I used a 12 x 5 prop that started life as a 13x5 and I massaged it. Thanks to Pat Johnston for his help in solving my dilemas, and helping trim it. Incidently trimming consisted of breaking in the new motor, and adding a couple turns of rudder! All that saw it fly in Puyallup Sat commented on how good it was flying, to bad the same cant be said of the knucklehead pilot HB~>
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 04:21:39 PM »
Hi Mark,

So sorry to hear that you have to repair it so soon (or anytime for that matter!). It's a great looking model.  I have watched Kent Tysor (NATS Adv. Champ a couple years back)  here locally, and he backs up a step with every loop, etc., that he does, and steps back to the center as he exits the maneuvers.  I had been told to do that when it's calm, and I do, but he does it on every flight, regardless of thje conditions.  So far, it works for him because he doesn't suffer any turbulence problems.  I *might* start doing it myself!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline SQ8s

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 01:04:14 AM »
The plane was and will soonbe a keeper again. Keep us updated on the repair(s)
The pavement was not hurt in anyway. %^@
Scott Riese

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 09:22:02 AM »
Mark sent this post to me last night. I hadn't logged in for awhile, and missed this one.

What I Missed!!! Got it now...Great post, Mark. Love the fuse, and laminated tail circumference!

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 11:16:27 AM »
I like the egg crate construction. I see you will not be outdone by me. When are you starting on the third plane? I am doing three this winter. HB~> HB~> HB~> :##

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 11:28:29 AM »
Leo, I am working on the 109, its almost ready for primer,, just basically the fillets left and the lift struts for the tail, minus humps and bumps for the cowlling. The profile 109 I built last year is minus flaps and its ready for finish, and Jessica and I are building a pair of Shark 402s as soon as my bench is cleared of the 109. Then I need to start a new classic plane for this year since my Oriental didnt survive.so,, let see thats 4 I think, the classic is undecided yet, I have several to choose from, an Argus, a Playboy, another Oriental, or a Sheeks 109,, hm decisions
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 12:08:25 PM »
Mark,
    I have pieces of Uvex in 30 thousands that is left over from making canopies. I give these away in the Playboy kits for mixing epoxy. The thickness is actually just over 30 thou and holds up to the airflow very well. If you want some to try I will send it to you. Just let me know.

Bill Sawyer
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here